Should NFL teams be allowed wear their alternate for the Super Bowl?

gothedistance

Involving old timers or "living legends" might be risky, since they don't want someone walking out for a halftime ceremony then completely forget where he is and then wet himself because his brain is mush, or someone have a seizure, or try to make out with Suzy Kolber.  Actually, maybe they should - watching the old players take cognitive tests during halftime of the Super Bowl would be more entertaining than any concert they could possibly put out there.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wouldn't it be safe to say that in the 35-60 year range is ideal for a league to market to seeing as that age bracket tends to be more financially sound? 

Also they could still do a program like the 75th anniversary even with the 1 helmet rule. There was no helmet rule back then, and a number of teams didn't bother to change their helmet and it was whatever. Hell that's why I dont mind the packers current throwback, because its a pretty accurate throwback to the 94 throwback sans patch.

13 hours ago, McCarthy said:

Quick answer: ABSOLUTELY NOT.

Long answer: The Super Bowl will be the most eyeballs these teams will ever have on them and the footage will be around forever. It's an opportunity to firmly establish your brand in the mind of the public. That effort is weakened if you wear something different from your normal look. You should dress in your best and dress the way you want everyone to know you. If an alternate is your best, well then why's it your alternate? And, no, we shouldn't leave it up to the teams' discretion. There needs to be a rule otherwise you get the Cavs wearing short sleeved black jerseys in Game 7. 

Let me say as a Cleveland Cavaliers fan that I hated the black sleeved jersey. When they wore them for game 5 I said why not? After all you should always wear black to a funeral. But they won. And won again. By game 7 most Cavs fans started to love the black jersey. And when they won it all, I started to love it too.

Clevelandcavaliersfirstlogo.gif Cleveland Cavaliers Curent Logo.png Cavs New Logo 2017-18.jpg

I don't know, I looked around the bar last week and my best guess was that the average age was 35, which extrapolated out is still 35, and I asked a guy there how old he was and he was almost 35 so I don't know where the NFL is getting their numbers from or who they're paying millions to do it but my research says it's 35.  There were a few seniors there but they weren't paying too much attention so I didn't factor them in.  Maybe the NFL did and that's why their numbers are skewed.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

5 hours ago, BrandMooreArt said:

the reason there will never be a large throwback initiative is the League doesn't want people to view them as being old

It wasn't that long ago that they did the AFL 50th anniversary throwbacks; I think you're overthinking it. There's potential money to be made in throwbacks, and also young people today have the ability to have nostalgia for things they themselves never experienced.

I think the alternates should be simple ones, like say the Panthers want to wear the light blue or the Cardinals decide to wear their black alternate. I have no issue with it if we keep a strict guideline on it and we have no Color Rush making its way in. If the team wants to roll with a look due to superstition then they should have the ability to do so. As much as we hated the Cubs and Indians game, it was what both teams wanted to do and the game itself more than made up for the bad uniform matchup. As long as I get a good game then I won't care what's worn really.

Also yes, I think every team in the NFL should have a Throwback for the 2019 season much like they did for 1994. It's fun.

bSLCtu2.png

On 1/18/2018 at 11:33 AM, BrandMooreArt said:

its a sport that has failed to capture the attention of Americas youth; the average NFL fan is near 50. any marketing initiative they do will be more in the spirit of moving forward, rather than looking back

On 1/18/2018 at 12:03 PM, WSU151 said:

What is the definition of an average NFL fan?

On 1/18/2018 at 12:36 PM, WSU151 said:

After some research, it sounds like they took the "average age of 50" straight from this SportBusinessDaily report. Note these are the ages of TV viewers, not necessarily a representation of all fans or money spent on the sport. I don't think social media engagement is even factored in, as it's both extraordinarily difficult to obtain the age of a Twitter/Facebook/IG/whatever user and I'm assuming an average NFL game is far more popular (with far more journalists) on Twitter than your average NBA game.

When I look at that report, the NFL is doing far better than the NHL even though the NHL has a younger average viewer.  According to the report, the NHL has essentially the exact same people watching the sport in 2016 as it did in 2000, as the average age increased by 16 years over 16 years.

Soccer and the NBA will always have younger audiences.  Cheaper, no hats or helmets, more globally popular.

It just seems like the Leagues are using these awfully simplistic studies to come to some dubious conclusions.

On 1/18/2018 at 12:44 PM, Ice_Cap said:

Now all of this would lead one to think that kids just aren’t following pro sports.

As someone who works with teenagers on a daily basis? I can tell you that’s just not true. 

Which leads me to believe that the data stating that the NFL’s average fan is 50 is skewed. All of these numbers are calculated through tv viewership. 

Teens and young adults still follow these leagues, have favourite teams, and buy merchandise. It’s just that tv isn’t the only, or even primary, way they follow the league. Most watch condensed clips, or even full games, online. 

So while I believe the average NFL television viewer who watches full games is 50? I don’t, for a second, believe that the average age of all fans who follow the league is 50.

I'll add my own anecdotal evidence.  My son is 16 and he and his friends love the NFL (and the NBA).  They all read and talk about it constantly during games and throughout the week.  That said, in terms of skewing the numbers in the stud(ies), they generally watch RedZone instead of full game coverage unless the Ravens are on (which is my preference too . . , and I happen to be . . . 50!)

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

so supposing the Browns (really) and the Cowboys meet in the Super Bowl with Cleveland as the home team. Cleveland gets to choose the uniform, going with all white and forcing Dallas to wear their "unlucky" uniforms I wasn't sure what happen in V when the Colts wore white and the Cowboys blue

Archived