bkknight95

The 1972 Project: Ball State Cardinals

1 hour ago, Magic Dynasty said:

The link to the WVU combos brings you to Clemson's.

whoops. That's what I get for mass copy/paste and not checking links. Try it now, the last four teams are up with the appropriate links to teams.

qbUQb0d.png

I think Ball State is one of a few college teams I have not seen a concept for on here. And I've been lurking here for 10 years and a few months now. But hey, here they are now. The Cardinals have been relatively tame with their partnership with the swoosh, but nothing about their uniforms outwardly scream "unique". But they have an air of simplicity that really captured my attention and was something I sought to keep. 

XNmnBWv.png 0j6LAuE.jpg 

yo1qBup.png Ds5dp9R.png

Football - So the inspiration here was the top of the logo and the short little head feathers on the top of the cardinal head. Originally the stripe was gonna be three stripes wide, but it came across looking a lot like an Adidas stripe so that wasn't gonna fly (heh). So the stripe was two stripes wide and is reminiscent of the top feathers of the logo's head. Anyways, the helmet remains largely unchanged and still white. Cardinal logo on both sides. Jerseys have the stripes on the sleeves that terminate toward the back of the uniform. Pants do something similar with the stripes coming up from the bottom with that slight curve coming from the back of the pants. Alternate is simply an all back rendition of the home/away uniforms. 

Hockey - IRL Ball State hockey rocks I believe they're the Ottawa 67's black uniforms, and it just doesn't work. But club sports take what they can get. But these imaginary D1 uniforms are very much in line with the new style of uniforms. Red is now the home uniform with the Cardinal logo front and center with the bird stripes on the sleeves and on the hem. Socks have the same stripes as the jerseys, white helmets for both home and the away uniforms. Alternate is again a blackout version of the home/away uniforms. 

Baseball - I normally tone the baseball uniforms down a little bit given the nature and historical feel of the sport, but I don't feel as though I did that here. I went with a V-neck template because the IRL baseball team looks really good in them. Bird stripes on the sleeves, stacked Ball State on the chest of the home and away with the number underneath it. Pants have the bird stripe that doesn't go all the way down to the bottom of the pants. For the alternate, I stopped just short of a total blackout with black pants. 

Basketball - For the hardwood, I was replacing a recolored UConn template which broke nothing in my heart. I tried something and didn't have the stripes go all the way around, which they weren't going to do anyways and had them stop a little shorter than what is normally expected. Stacked Ball State on the front of all 3 jerseys. Arched nameplate on the back of all 3 jerseys. Shorts have the stripes on the waistband and as well as up the side of the shorts. 

C&C welcome!

This is my favorite uniform so far on this thread. A good combination of unique design features and keeping it simple without being over-designed . I love it.

Ball State looks great! I do have a couple suggestions though. The white helmet with the red jersey for hockey would really stand out on the ice, I think a red helmet would make it more cohesive. Also, this isn't a critique, but I would love to see what that script logo would look like on the black hockey jersey. Overall great job, definitely one of my favorites so far!

I love the sleeve and pant stripes design for Ball State's football uniforms. That would be a perfect design template for a new Arizona Cardinals rebrand imo. Good work.