3D Rendered Helmet Tutorial

Davidson

Thank you so much for posting this, Davidson. I tried it with my fantasy team, and it turned out perfectly!

I hope a mod pins this. It's invaluable info.

dont keep it to yourself. share the wealth.

lets see it. post it here in the thread.

• Replies 759
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i didnt model the helmet mate.

i dont think it is taken from any particular helmet.

will do a special 3-bar render just for you.

Oh, I don't care... please don't waste your valuable time. I was just hoping to point out something that you may/may not have meant to do.

last render i did was a three bar mate.

did you get all the render layers i emailed yesterday?

ahh, I tried to respond as soon as I could, but I guess you beat me to it... :)

and yes, I got all the PSDs.. I haven't been able to give much more than a fleeting glance at it now, but I plan to spend some time studying it this weekend... Thanks so much!

sanantonio_new.jpg

Man, this could be addicting. BTW, the red helmets really pop.

Here's a question. I tried adding a "sparkle" effect to this silver helmet (hope that's ok, Dustin). I basically just added some Noise, and overlayed it. It's not coming out the way I'd like it to. I noticed the Jacksonville helmet you did had a great looking sparkle effect. How'd you do it?

cv2TCLZ.png

"I secretly hope people like that hydroplane into a wall." - Dennis "Big Sexy" Ittner

POTD - 7/3/14

sanantonio_new.jpg

Man, this could be addicting. BTW, the red helmets really pop.

Here's a question. I tried adding a "sparkle" effect to this silver helmet (hope that's ok, Dustin). I basically just added some Noise, and overlayed it. It's not coming out the way I'd like it to. I noticed the Jacksonville helmet you did had a great looking sparkle effect. How'd you do it?

Nice, Jimmy. Very nice...

I always marvel and the amazing results such as davidson knocked off here...

but learning of the process of meeting those results is equally fascinating!.

For me, it is like I wear the same tool belt as davidson, but I don't always know which tool to grab for the next challenge!

Thanks for sharing!

1sigHawks-1.png

2sigHawks.gif

Does anyone know how to create a decal look to the logo?

Briefly I can say that some water based decals have a border of clear decal material, with a slight shade or color shift from the color of the helmet below, surrounding the entire design. The type of decals as used on scale modeling. (dip in water and release) Used particularly on lower priced applications. Something for high school levels and below. Bubbles and slight blemishes and scratches can be added for realism.

The next type of application would be the vinyl (peel & stick) self-adhesive decal. The outline would surely have a very subtle highlight and shadow based on light source due to the base material's thickness. These stickers scratch easily, rip, and oozing adhesive can build up on the rim which will catch dirt. Finally sharply cornered edges may peel a bit.

The highest level of application (higher level colleges and pro teams) is using a very thin inked film that is applied similarly to the first example above, but applied with chemicals. This decal makes the design the most permanent and durable. To see this type of decal, check out the markings on a good quality, recent model bike or metal baseball bat. Try to scratch it with your fingernail. Look for thickness of material & ink. Check for a possible clear border. So with these high end decals, wear and tear would be minimal.

davidson nailed to when his decal on the British Lion logo contained a subtle "bevel" applied. For all three of the above decals are most likely screen printing when produced, providing a slight thicker buildup of ink.

That's my 2 cents, davidson may fill in on the "how to" in order to complete your desired results. If not, I can offline.

Sorry davidson, I started this intended to be brief, but I then thought folks may want to consider the quality level of the decals based on the level of their team.

1sigHawks-1.png

2sigHawks.gif

Archived