1994 NFL Throwbacks

CoasterLine

After looking back at some older throwback uniforms, I was thinking about some of the 1994 "diamond" 75th NFL anniversary. I'm surprised after searching that I haven't found another thread on these throwbacks.

After looking some up, I just not realized how horrid some of the attempts at throwbacks were... Here are some of the photos I found, feel free to add.

Buffalo Bills (& Houston Oilers)

buff-v-hou-1.jpg

A very good replication of the early Oilers, as seen by the throwbacks from last year being exactly the same. Were able to match the typefaces correctly. As for the Bills... horrible attempt. Left the helmets red, and instead inverted the buffalo on the helmet from red to white, so that it fit on the helmets. Striping pattern was also off.

Denver Broncos

den-sharpe.jpg

Very good job at replicating their older uniform set. Would have liked to see this recreated with today's technology.

L.A. Rams & San Francisco 49ers

rams-sfbettis.jpg

sf-v-la.jpg

For the Rams, this all bright yellow jersey was an eyesore. Why, oh why, did they not throwback to the white and blue scheme. For the 49ers, they petitioned the league to wear this for the rest of the year, won 10 straight games, ending in the SB victory. They weren't bad, but they weren't good. As for accuracy, they were almost dead on, other than the helmet logo, which wasn't included in the initial design.

San Diego Chargers

sdmeans.jpg

The standard Chargers baby blue throwback we're accustomed to. Very good throwback.

Washington Redskins (& Atlanta Falcons)

wash-atl.jpg

wash-ellard.jpg

wash-v-atl.jpg

For the Redskins, very bland, but accurate (for the most part). The "spear" throwbacks are far superior to these. As for the Falcons, again, not bad, but the current throwback alternates for them are the best set.

L.A. Raiders

raider94.jpg

Same throwbacks as used in 2009, a very strong overall throwback. I like this over their current set.

New York Jets

nyj39.jpg

They did a good job rectifying the problems in this set 4 years later when they reverted back to the white helmets, but this is a pathetic attempt. Green helmets, with an inversed logo.

Shaun Rajewski
Lead Developer, Founder
Epic Web Studios LLC.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Pittsburgh Steelers

pitt-v-colts.jpg

Hideous uniforms, but extremely accurate for what they were going for.

Dallas Cowboys

mt92.jpg

Bad attempt. They fixed the inaccuracies in these a few years later, and currently wear the correct throwback as an alternate. This set contained their normal helmet, with the smaller star, and the wrong shade of blue between the shoulders and the helmet.

New York Giants

ny-v-wash.jpg

Throwback to the jerseys they reverted too and currently wear. Good set.

Philadelphia Eagles

philly-gb.jpg

Not to sure about their accuracy, but they looked a hell of a lot better than the hideous yellow and blue monstrosity that were the Frankfurt Yellow Jackets throwback they wore a couple of years ago.

New Orleans Saints

no-everette.jpg

Thrown back to the darker gold, more sleeve stripes, along with the larger helmet logo. Decent set, however I like the lighter gold they use now.

Green Bay Packers

gbfavre.jpg

Not a fan of the bright yellow shoulders, and gold-ish pants.

Detroit Lions

barry-v-sf.jpg

The traditional plain ol' Thanksgiving uniforms we've seen a couple times.

Seattle Seahawks

seamirer.jpg

I think this set just contained more green than normal. Not quite sure, but a modernized version of this set, with these colors wouldn't be too bad.

Chicago Bears

ekramer.jpg

The hideous Bears throwback. Not too sure about accuracy, but it is not a pretty design.

Miami Dolphins

mia-v-minn.jpg

Very good job of recreating their old set.

Shaun Rajewski
Lead Developer, Founder
Epic Web Studios LLC.

Arizona Cardinals

azmoore.jpg

Plain, yet effective. White helmet, red jerseys, white pants. It works. Subtle inclusion of the Chicago Cardinals "C within a C" inside the stripes.

Cincinnati Bengals

cinnpickens.jpg

The "BENGALS" across the helmet, with the simple, yet classic uniforms. I kinda liked this combination.

New England Patriots

ne-coats.jpg

Throwing back to one version of the then recently retired Patriot Pat. I still like the helmets over the current "Flying Elvis" helmets.

Minnesota Vikings: Very minor changes, nothing too noticeable.

Indianapolis Colts: No real changes/attempt.

Kansas City Chiefs: Very minor changes (no stripes on the sleeves).

Cleveland Browns: No changes.

Tampa Bay Buccaneers: No changes.

Shaun Rajewski
Lead Developer, Founder
Epic Web Studios LLC.

After looking back at some older throwback uniforms, I was thinking about some of the 1994 "diamond" 75th NFL anniversary. I'm surprised after searching that I haven't found another thread on these throwbacks.

After looking some up, I just not realized how horrid some of the attempts at throwbacks were... Here are some of the photos I found, feel free to add.

My reaction? YOU are an idiot. Half of the complaints are that YOU don't like the selection (even if accurate), and YOU're not even sure about accuracy on most of them.

Pretty much all of the wrong-colored shells/masks were due to teams not wanting to shell out extra money for new helmets or take the time to break them in properly (this is why nowadays, teams will wear their throwback helmets during training camp).

As far as the Packers, the reason they looked so terrible is because apparently no one researched the Lambeau-era unis well enough to figure out that they didn't actually wear kahki pants back then:

packers550water.jpg

I'd much prefer the Packers (re) introduce and accurate version of these as alternates rather than the "powerball" unis they'll be wearing against the Niners later this year.

My reaction? YOU are an idiot. Half of the complaints are that YOU don't like the selection (even if accurate), and YOU're not even sure about accuracy on most of them.

Oh, so you mean that a board based upon criticizing and ripping apart many different aspects of graphic design in the current age shouldn't have a thread with any sort of negative posts in it? My point wasn't to bring up something that was so perfect and wonderful that it should be praised. I brought it up because I haven't seen any posts about it.

This topic was created so that people can discuss the accuracy of these, or even use it as possible inspiration to create some new concepts based off of any accuracies or inaccuracies in the uniform sets worn. I really don't care about your opinion. If you don't want to read it, feel free to browse other topics that you might find interest in. Plain and simple. This is a sports logos forum which drives off of logos, colors, uniform sets, etc. It fits.

But you're right. My bad.

Shaun Rajewski
Lead Developer, Founder
Epic Web Studios LLC.

The Cardinals' pants on their throwback were actually the khaki color, which you can see in the photo.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

That Steelers set is astounding and by astounding I mean, ghastly.

NCFA-FCS/CBB: Minnesota A&M | RANZBA (OOTP): Auckland Warriors | USA: Front Range United | IFA: Toverit Helsinki | FOBL: Kentucky Juggernaut

Minnesota A&M 2012 National Champions 2013 National Finalist, 2014 National Semi-finals 2012, 2013, 2014 Big 4 Conference Champions

Pretty much all of the wrong-colored shells/masks were due to teams not wanting to shell out extra money for new helmets or take the time to break them in properly (this is why nowadays, teams will wear their throwback helmets during training camp).

As far as the Packers, the reason they looked so terrible is because apparently no one researched the Lambeau-era unis well enough to figure out that they didn't actually wear kahki pants back then:

packers550water.jpg

I'm no longer willing to call that a lazy mistake. Your photograph was taken in 1947, while the 1994 throwbacks were based on the Packers' 1937 uniforms. It's entirely possible that the 1937 pants were closer in color to canvas than the (two-toned) gold they were wearing in the 1940s. They certainly look lighter in highlight films from the period:

1940s_Hutson_color4.jpg

Dallas Cowboys

mt92.jpg

Bad attempt. They fixed the inaccuracies in these a few years later, and currently wear the correct throwback as an alternate. This set contained their normal helmet, with the smaller star, and the wrong shade of blue between the shoulders and the helmet.

I should mention that the shade of Blue here in their uniforms WAS the correct shade of Blue used in the original unis.

Oh - and if anyone's interested, I do have the official Pantone values for all of these 1994 throwbacks...I could post a "retrospective" of the colors.

Are you sure that's from 1947? I'm not saying it's completely out of the question, but why would Hutson be in full gear when he retired two years prior? Either way, the unis from my pic are much more aesthetically pleasing, I don't know why they wouldn't just go with those.

Are you sure that's from 1947? I'm not saying it's completely out of the question, but why would Hutson be in full gear when he retired two years prior? Either way, the unis from my pic are much more aesthetically pleasing, I don't know why they wouldn't just go with those.

Actually, I mis-typed. They say 1947, I think it's 1946. But in any case, it wouldn't have been unheardof for Hutson to wear a jersey in practice as a coach - somewhere I have a wire photo of him doing that in his first year post-retirement (I think it was because he threatened to retire many times before becoming a full-time coach).

Archived