2011-12 NBA Logo & Uniform changes

jhans203

I know it's early before the 2011-12 NBA unveilings of new logos and uniforms ... but ... I thought I'd get the ball rolling with rumors and speculation.

The teams that have either announced new colors or uniforms that I know of are the Wizards (switch to red, white and blue) and the Kings to the Royals if they are approved for a move to Anaheim. Does anyone else know of other teams possibly switching looks? In the past I've heard possible changes for the Suns and Knicks. Any others?

Also what teams are eligible for secondary uniforms? I believe the Sixers and Bobcats are now eligible. The Thunder, Spurs, Knicks, Nets, Pistons among other teams could add a second jersey. There will also be the anticipation of what the Cavs will roll out for their Fantastic jersey.

I guess we can only hope we get to see these changes, huh?

rbze43.jpg

23vhpba.jpg11r3n9f.jpg

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Wizards I thought were the worst dressed team in the NBA, so anything they switch to has to be an upgrade.

I'd put them at the top of the list of teams going through an identity crisis, but I guess that's what happens when you rush a process like a name change. Hopefully the new look well help to change that.

We'll see the new brand identity package for the Wizards on May 10. Looking forward to it.

http://www.nba.com/wizards/news/wizard_042111.html

Wizards to Unveil New Look

April 21, 2011

The Washington Wizards announced today that they will unveil the team?s updated brand featuring a red, white and blue color scheme during an exclusive event at Verizon Center on May 10 at 11:00 a.m. The event will be highlighted by the introduction of the team?s new uniforms and marks.

?The updating of the Wizards brand has been a priority we have focused on with our partners at Adidas and the NBA league office for the better part of the past year and we look forward to the introduction of our new look on May 10,? said Wizards Executive Vice President of Business Operations Greg Bibb. ?We are excited about the finished product and we are eager to share the new designs with our fans on a day where our proud past will meet our exciting future.?

The unveiling event on May 10 will be attended by Wizards Majority Owner Ted Leonsis, Bibb, President Ernie Grunfeld, Head Coach Flip Saunders, current Wizards players, notable Bullets/Wizards alumni, the Wizards Girls and G-Wiz. It will be open to media and invited guests only, but will be streamed live on www.washingtonwizards.com. Additional details concerning press coverage will be released at a later date.

Might as well migrate these over:

nba-11-12-new2.jpg

Also, maybe this for the B-Cats alt road uni?

5494432547_80317783d2.jpg

The Knicks aren't changing unis until 2012-13 and also the Wiz unis are rumored to be inspired by the Unseld-era horizontal-stripes unis.

Interesting stuff here...

The supposed Bobcats uniform is a little strange, as I don't know why they would make it black (and is that a grey side panel?). And I hope the rumor about the Wizards' new uniforms isn't true....I really don't like those Unseld-era uniforms. There was just way too much going on with those, and I'm not a fan of cluttered uniforms. I certainly hope they don't go with a template similar to the Wizards' gold former alternate, either. That may have been one of the worst uniforms in NBA history.

I hope a team like the Suns make a change, preferrably to drop the grey and (hopefully, for the love of all that's holy) drop the "PHX" from the alternate uniform. I've said it on here a few times before that I can't stand city abbreviations like "PHX", "ATL", and "NOLA" on uniforms or logos (and hope that the Thunder don't go the same route with "OKC" on a future alternate, if they roll out one). I haven't heard anything about Phoenix, but they're definetely a team that I'm crossing my fingers changes.

Jazzretirednumbers.jpg

The opinions I express are mine, and mine only. If I am to express them, it is not to say you or anyone else is wrong, and certainly not to say that I am right.

I'm envisioning a modernized, streamlined version of the Unseld-era unis - similar to what the Sonics did in '01:

f81tktgghfuaaxkeysh8as1si.gif

whhf29ivtbspdppc8vru8azot.gif

We've also seen the Wizards do a bit of an homage to the Unseld era with their gold alts, complete with a horizontal stripe at the sholder and star accents:

elvin-hayes-bullets.jpg

buq461iin2fv8tde1ez06kk9x.gif

I'm envisioning a modernized, streamlined version of the Unseld-era unis - similar to what the Sonics did in '01:

f81tktgghfuaaxkeysh8as1si.gif

whhf29ivtbspdppc8vru8azot.gif

We've also seen the Wizards do a bit of an homage to the Unseld era with their gold alts, complete with a horizontal stripe at the sholder and star accents:

elvin-hayes-bullets.jpg

I really hope we never see that gold alt again.

Uglier than ugly

Indians_allcolors2-1.png

Indians_OleMiss2-1.png

IF ONE IS CONSIDERED RACIST, THEN BOTH MUST BE CONSIDERED RACIST.

BOTTOM LINE: NEITHER ONE IS RACIST.

I know I'm in the minority, but I kinda liked the gold alt. They were certainly better than the Kings' attempt at a gold alt, anyway.

I also think that the gold alt design in a red/white/blue colorway (w/ matching shorts this time) would've been quite popular, had the Wizards gone the route of the Cavs and Mavs and introduced it as a fauxback/Fan Service uni, or whatever the accepted term is.

I would love to see more teams do a "Fantastic" type of jersey much like what the Cavs do. I think it's fun once in a while. But, I'd love to the Jazz in their 1996-2004 jerseys in 2004-10 colors and other combos. Even the Rockets, Nuggets, Kings and Hawks have enough color/jersey combinations to make it work.

rbze43.jpg

23vhpba.jpg11r3n9f.jpg

I know I'm in the minority, but I kinda liked the gold alt. They were certainly better than the Kings' attempt at a gold alt, anyway.

Both look bad. It isn't the style, its all that gold....just doesn't mesh well on NBA uni's. Little is more with gold.

Indians_allcolors2-1.png

Indians_OleMiss2-1.png

I would love to see more teams do a "Fantastic" type of jersey much like what the Cavs do. I think it's fun once in a while. But, I'd love to the Jazz in their 1996-2004 jerseys in 2004-10 colors and other combos. Even the Rockets, Nuggets, Kings and Hawks have enough color/jersey combinations to make it work.

I've loved all of the CavFanatic uni's except for the blue/yellow one from a few years back. A lot of people bashed the 2010-2011 one, but I loved it.

Indians_allcolors2-1.png

Indians_OleMiss2-1.png

Might as well migrate these over:

nba-11-12-new2.jpg

Also, maybe this for the B-Cats alt road uni?

5494432547_80317783d2.jpg

The Knicks aren't changing unis until 2012-13 and also the Wiz unis are rumored to be inspired by the Unseld-era horizontal-stripes unis.

Interesting stuff here...

The supposed Bobcats uniform is a little strange, as I don't know why they would make it black (and is that a grey side panel?). And I hope the rumor about the Wizards' new uniforms isn't true....I really don't like those Unseld-era uniforms. There was just way too much going on with those, and I'm not a fan of cluttered uniforms. I certainly hope they don't go with a template similar to the Wizards' gold former alternate, either. That may have been one of the worst uniforms in NBA history.

I hope a team like the Suns make a change, preferrably to drop the grey and (hopefully, for the love of all that's holy) drop the "PHX" from the alternate uniform. I've said it on here a few times before that I can't stand city abbreviations like "PHX", "ATL", and "NOLA" on uniforms or logos (and hope that the Thunder don't go the same route with "OKC" on a future alternate, if they roll out one). I haven't heard anything about Phoenix, but they're definetely a team that I'm crossing my fingers changes.

Black is a Bobcats color, and they've been moving away from orange for years now. I wouldn't be too surprised if that black jersey (or something similar to it) ends up being their alternate.

I agree with you about those old Bullets uniforms. They worked at the time, but I would NOT want to see them become their regular uniforms today. But I liked the wordmark from their gold alternates. Ideally, that is the wordmark I would like to see. In fact, I think their current wordmark is probably the biggest problem with their current regular uniforms.

WIZARDS ORIOLES CAPITALS RAVENS UNITED

I've heard that Utah could be getting an alternate this next year. Someone within the Jazz organization has said that it's only 1 year after a major uniform change that a team can get an alternate. Is that true, or is it supposed to be 2?

I believe it's two years. Unless the NBA has recently changed their rules. But, my money is on a green alt.

rbze43.jpg

23vhpba.jpg11r3n9f.jpg

I've heard that Utah could be getting an alternate this next year. Someone within the Jazz organization has said that it's only 1 year after a major uniform change that a team can get an alternate. Is that true, or is it supposed to be 2?

I believe it's two years. Unless the NBA has recently changed their rules. But, my money is on a green alt.

I sure hope so, too.

Pyc5qRH.gifRDXvxFE.gif

usu-scarf_8549002219_o.png.b2c64cedbb44307eaace2cf7f96dd6b1.png

AKA @LanRovr0 on Twitter

LED Sig Credits to packerfan21396

I sure hope so, too.

A green alt for the Jazz would be sweet!!

Indians_allcolors2-1.png

Indians_OleMiss2-1.png

Black is a Bobcats color, and they've been moving away from orange for years now. I wouldn't be too surprised if that black jersey (or something similar to it) ends up being their alternate.

It's such an insignificant part of their color pallet that no one notices. Not to mention that they have been putting more emphasis on their secondary logo, which doesn't contain any black. I think that's why many are questioning it.

I also think that the gold alt design in a red/white/blue colorway (w/ matching shorts this time) would've been quite popular, had the Wizards gone the route of the Cavs and Mavs and introduced it as a fauxback/Fan Service uni, or whatever the accepted term is.

I liked the gold alt as well, make that red/white/blue and you have the uniforms for the new re-colored logo.

jNTsTyQ.png

Archived