Open Wheel Racing Chat

KDubK414

Well I'd have to say I wouldn't miss the Mercedes-AMG team (from a branding side of things).. it would however be terrible if they just shut up shop and refused to sell it off. After all, this is the old Tyrrell team.

F1 is a big thing for Mercedes so I can't see them just walking away, although it'd be embarrassing if they reverted back to being just an engine supplier.

Hopefully there'll be a resolution and the three-pointed star will stay put.

6893352392_587cf4e9eb_n.jpg

• Replies 358
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well I'd have to say I wouldn't miss the Mercedes-AMG team (from a branding side of things).. it would however be terrible if they just shut up shop and refused to sell it off. After all, this is the old Tyrrell team.

F1 is a big thing for Mercedes so I can't see them just walking away, although it'd be embarrassing if they reverted back to being just an engine supplier.

Hopefully there'll be a resolution and the three-pointed star will stay put.

One could hope, losing Mercedes would hurt F1 considering doesn't help at all. Then there's always the rumor of Honda coming back, VW backing Lambo or Porsche or Audi engines, but losing Mercedes would be IMO a huge blow to F1. Although, who knows, they could always go stateside to INDY, I'd know a few teams that would welcome them with open arms.

Also file this news in what the???

http://planetf1.com/driver/18227/7629415/Thailand-in-talks-to-host-F1-race

Thailand could host a F1 grand prix in two to three years after reportedly receiving tentative backing from Red Bull boss Dietrich Mateschitz.

"We are in talks," Mateschitz told the Bangkok Post. "Thailand could host a Formula One race in the next two to three years."

The co-founder of Red Bull, a Thai-Austrian joint venture, said Formula One chief Bernie Ecclestone also supported the idea.

"Ecclestone agrees with the idea," Mateschitz was quoted as saying. "We may sign an agreement soon."

I'm starting to think this splitting between countries for races is becoming more of a reality.

baltimoreravens.png

Trying to get into f1 this year. I watched the full Malaysia race, even though I knew Alanso won, but Perez really was coming on strong and would've won if he hadn't slipped up late in the race!

I was wondering who to root for, and someone suggested Romain Grosjean before Australia because he was a rookie who was starting 3rd, and I could say I liked him from the start. He's completed 4 total laps in 2 weeks, and finished like 2nd to last, and last.

He's sort of a rookie.

Previously competed in 7 races at the back end of the '09 season; didn't really achieve anything in that time though, highest finish was 13th.

1 hour ago, BringBackTheVet said:

sorry sweetie, but I don't suck minor-league d

CCSLC Post of the day September 3rd 2012

From SpeedTV....

"I?ve been doing a lot of traveling and talking to try and see who is serious about racing with us.??

http://auto-racing.speedtv.com/article/indycar-2013-schedule-set-to-expand

Here?s a capsule look at the players:

AUSTIN: Formula One is making its debut on the 3.4-mile road course in November but Bernard says, "They approached us about having a race next year and we?re evaluating it.?? Is Texas big enough for an oval (Texas Motor Speedway), a street race (Houston) and a road race (Austin)?

FORT LAUDERDALE: A proposed street course by the Atlantic Ocean. :I?m optimistic,?? said Bernard, who has been negotiating for more than a year with the promoters.

PHOENIX: A bastion of Indy car racing since 1964, PIR was a casualty of The Split ? going from a crowd of 64,000 in 1995 to a few thousand by 2000 and was finally dropped after 2005. "Bryan Sperber (PIR president) and I are talking and trying to find a date that works for both of us,?? said Bernard.

PALM SPRINGS: A new road course is being built that may or may not be finished in time for 2013. "I?ve seen their plans and it?s going to be a first class track and would be a great compliment to IndyCar,?? said Bernard.

POCONO: Originally built for Indy cars and part of the Triple Crown with Ontario, Calif. and Indianapolis, the tri-oval hasn?t hosted open wheel since CART left after1989. Brandon Igdalsky, president of Pocono and grandson of the late owner, was IndyCar?s guest last weekend at St. Pete. :They?re re-paving the track right now, it?s got safer barriers and Brandon is very interested in bringing back Indy cars,?? said Bernard.

ELKHART LAKE: The kick-ass 4-mile road course remains the best test of road racing in North America but hasn?t hosted open wheel since Champ Car?s last appearance in 2007. An attempt was made to run ALMS/IndyCar doubleheader this summer but August was the offer from Road America and that month didn?t work for INDYCAR. "It?s on my big list,?? said Bernard.

PORTLAND: A popular stop for CART in the ?80s and ?90s, attendance began plummeting in the 2000s and the 2007 finale with Champ Car was desolate. "I hear the new owner is interested in talking to us,?? said Bernard.

RICHMOND: A good, steady draw for the IRL from 2001-2007. The first four races were highly entertaining and the last three were parades. Track president Dennis Bickmeier is a big open wheel fan. "I definitely want to talk to Richmond,?? said Bernard.

There have also been rumblings that Chicago might want to put on a street race by Lake Michigan and Australia desires bringing back Indy cars with Power, Dixon and Briscoe.

all those EXCEPT Pocono & you got a winner in my eyes.

baltimoreravens.png

That would be so awesome if The Road America course was used for IndyCar! Wisconsin could become a big hotbed for the Series. With the Andretti group really serious about The Mile and returning it to the glory days. I could see so much cross promotion between the 2 that it would strengthen IndyCar here in the state and even Midwest.

packchampionslfroh.png

That would be so awesome if The Road America course was used for IndyCar! Wisconsin could become a big hotbed for the Series. With the Andretti group really serious about The Mile and returning it to the glory days. I could see so much cross promotion between the 2 that it would strengthen IndyCar here in the state and even Midwest.

I just don't understand why this track doesn't get the attention it deserves, IMO, a very underrated track.

Meanwhile back in F1 land....

French PM Could Announce GP Return On Friday: French prime minister Francois Fillon will on Friday travel to the Paul Ricard circuit in Le Castellet. According to Le Parisien newspaper in an exclusive report, he could announce the deal is finally done to revive the French Grand Prix for 2013. A source said Fillon will provide an update and indicate that France is "ready" to host F1 again for the first time since 2008 at Magny Cours. It has been widely reported for some time that negotiations are taking place to annually alternate formula one races between France at Paul Ricard and Belgium's legendary Spa Francorchamps circuit. Friday's media report said Spa is "probably" the circuit that will alternate with France "but it could possibly be another". It is claimed that Bernie Ecclestone originally demanded a EUR 29 million race fee, but eventually the deal was done for 20m.

http://formula-one.speedtv.com/article/f1-grand-prix-news-briefs131/

Makes sense when you have 3 drives in the lineup Grosjean, Vergne & Pic

baltimoreravens.png

Well, Grosjean is Swiss, but has a French license. But I just now realized France doesn't have a race. That's almost as crazy as there being no Italian drivers in the field.

I really really want the Austin course to get it together. I think its going to be a great track, and HOPEFULLY Nascar can run some there.

Houston as in the old street circuit? From what I remember it wasn't that great. CotA would be miles better.

Listen near 5:32, you'll thank me.

http://www.speedtv.c...1530798532001/1

Thanks anyway, but I got the "you can't see this in your country - back from whence ye came plebeian" message.:rolleyes:

Well, Grosjean is Swiss, but has a French license. But I just now realized France doesn't have a race. That's almost as crazy as there being no Italian drivers in the field.

I really really want the Austin course to get it together. I think its going to be a great track, and HOPEFULLY Nascar can run some there.

Sounds like its imminent that Circuit Paul Ricard will be back on the calendar in the next year or so. Sure its a nice venue being near the Med and all, but its a bit dull to look at.

Then again, Magny Cours wasn't so hot either.

Most F1 tracks are rather dull looking. Lots of pavement for runoff areas, acres of gravel, etc. No distinct features, greenery, or interesting quirks like a lot of US tracks have; VIR's oak tree, twisting turns of Road Atlanta, Laguna Seca's scenery and Corkscrew, lots of guard rails close to the track which makes things interesting! Ask Katherine Legge about guardrails close to the track at Road America!

Most F1 tracks are rather dull looking. Lots of pavement for runoff areas, acres of gravel, etc. No distinct features, greenery, or interesting quirks like a lot of US tracks have.

Call that the Tilke-Effect. I've been playing a lot of F1 2012 on PS3 lately, and so many of his tracks are just snoozefests.

I'll give Tilke credit, he can make a few good race tracks but some of them are a snooze fest, but Ricard is an amazing track & should host the F1 race, I think that there will be an announcement soon hopefully.

Alabama for Indy this week & it looks like Phoenix could come back in 2013. Oh please let this happen. From the feedback on that site, they want it back. Now how about Richmond ^_^

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/articles/2012/03/30/20120330could-indycar-make-return-pir.html

Also, the Rolex series is starting up again also in Bama, the Corvette DP's are starting 1-2-3, Chevy has been dominating.

baltimoreravens.png

I'll give Tilke credit, he can make a few good race tracks but some of them are a snooze fest,

Probably the number one reason the BRDC decided not to use Herr Tilke when they wanted to re-design Silverstone.

Alabama for Indy this week & it looks like Phoenix could come back in 2013. Oh please let this happen.

Why not make use of Jobing.com Arena and have a track around there.... ;)

I'll give Tilke credit, he can make a few good race tracks but some of them are a snooze fest,

Probably the number one reason the BRDC decided not to use Herr Tilke when they wanted to re-design Silverstone.

Alabama for Indy this week & it looks like Phoenix could come back in 2013. Oh please let this happen.

Why not make use of Jobing.com Arena and have a track around there.... ;)

Cause unlike the NHL, IndyCar actually wants to make money lol...

BTW, the race in Alabama was excellent. It was just a great race all around. Next up is Long Beach & I think F1 returns the same week as well.

I'd say for both open road organizations, its been a solid season.

baltimoreravens.png

Have to say that NBC's coverage was plain terrible. The comms team seemed more interested in mentioning the sponsors on the cars than drivers themselves and were overselling some of the easier overtakes and missing the great ones.

And the replays seemed never ending. As did the constant ad breaks, which thankfully we didn't have to endure as the feed was kept live.

I got the impression that they were trying to emulate the NASCAR way of doing things. I don't mind if they're trying to make it appeal to a wider audience who probably don't normally watch Indycar, but don't try and make it something its not.

Some of the pronunciations were a little odd as well. The one that stuck out from the get-go was 'Simon' Paginaud. I'm almost sure that he was 'Simone' on ESPN.

[/rant over]

On the upside, decent looking track, nice undulations. I'd certainly would have voted for that as a F1 venue if Texas and New Jersey hadn't come along.

Archived