Open Wheel Racing Chat

KDubK414

Yeah, the lead driver would need to be an American. I feel like if they set up in Austin, there are enough companies in Texas that could help them out. Like, think of the oil/gas companies there, Dell is based in Austin, get sponsors like that behind a team, and it could work.

I did think about the european shop too, looking at all the shops, I think only Torro Roso, and Ferarri aren't in England.

Speaking of Torro Roso, it annoys me how there's two Redbull teams.

• Replies 358
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Only one more to add to that list - Sauber is based in Hinwil, Switzerland. :)

I agree with you on STR, even though they are supposed to be separate from RBR (no longer using the old chassis hand-me-down) its still odd having two teams.

They were supposed to be up for sale, but why no one has snapped them up is beyond me.

6893352392_587cf4e9eb_n.jpg

http://jalopnik.com/5902743/could-the-new-jersey-formula-one-grand-prix-be-delayed-until-2014

Formula One's reigning autocrat, Bernie Ecclestone, told the BBC today that the upcoming New York Grand Prix (set to be held across the Hudson River in New Jersey) may be delayed a year from its planned 2013 date to 2014. It marks the first time the race has been questioned in an official capacity.

But is this nothing more than smoke and mirrors?

Ecclestone stated:

Maybe the New York race will be 2013. It's a when - 2013 or 2014.

Don't make us angry Uncle Bernie... :mad:

baltimoreravens.png

Only one more to add to that list - Sauber is based in Hinwil, Switzerland. :)

I agree with you on STR, even though they are supposed to be separate from RBR (no longer using the old chassis hand-me-down) its still odd having two teams.

They were supposed to be up for sale, but why no one has snapped them up is beyond me.

I was watching the Malaysia race, and it seemed as if Torro Roso helped RedBull a few times(can't remember how), but it's pretty much a big brothe/little brother team.

Why are they trying to stretch the season to more than 20, anyway? I mean, it's a money thing, but why? Just settle on 20 races, no more than one in each country, and race dammit.

:censored: Bernie. :censored: Tony George. :censored: Michelin.

There, I've got that out of my system. :P

At least IndyCar got lucky when Tony got out of his position, take one of the best open wheel racinig series and destroy it in a matter of years, good riddance to Mr. George for s"the split" too bad he's still on the board, thank God Randy Bernard is trying to make things right (did I mention how much I have a disdain for Tony George)

Now as for "Uncle Bernie" I don't see him leaving anytime soon, and he even said he has no plans on retiring the only way I think he will is when he is no longer breathing or if someone buys F1 from him & kicks him out. Its also kind of funny that you mention Michelin cause before Pirelli came back, I heard rumors that Michelin wanted to get back in.

baltimoreravens.png

I was watching the Malaysia race, and it seemed as if Torro Roso helped RedBull a few times(can't remember how), but it's pretty much a big brothe/little brother team.

Yeah they do have that "imove out of our way and block the guy behind him" thing going. Same way that Sauber seem to yield easily to Ferrari - more so in the past, not just this years Malaysia race.

Even if STR and RBR both get their cheques from Materschitz, it should be each to their own on the track.

Don't make us angry Uncle Bernie... :mad:

Burnt Ecclescake is a button pusher extrordinaire- I have a feeling he's probably trying to squeeze a few extra bucks out of the promoters of the race, or even force them to make changes he wants so the race still happens in '13.

He seems to have got worse the older he gets. Just listen how he spoke to this lady from Sky at the weekend...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YrS6vh6OO3I

For the record, he's not going to the race as his girlfriend is running the London Marathon.

http://planetf1.com/news/3213/7684867/Force-India-Crew-Emotional-And-Upset-

Four mechanics were travelling in a van on the outskirts of the capital Manama when they got delayed in traffic on the way back to their team hotel from the Sakhir circuit. A firebomb exploded near the vehicle, but no one was injured in the attack.

They returned to their hotel later in the evening and one team member who was not involved in the incident immediately asked to go home while it was confirmed on Thursday that one of the mechanics who was in the vehicle during the incident is also heading back to Europe.

Force India spokesman Will Hings refused to divulge too much detail about the team members who returned home, but said their van was not the target of the attack.

"I won't be giving any details of their positions or names... they were just people working for the team," Hings told Associated Press.

"I can't give you any more information other than that they're returning home out of their free choice."

He added: "We've always taken out direction from the FIA, the sport's governing body. I'm sure they're continuing to monitor the situation in Bahrain.

I don't care if its a race or for money, these guys lives are at stake. This race shouldn't happen.

baltimoreravens.png

I cannot wait for that Austin Race. Same day as the last Sprint Cup race of the season. Should be great. I probably wont even watch football!

But Bernie was such a dick in that interview. He's like the Al Davis of racing.

Or like that Olympic prick who actually thinks he's royalty.

newsig.jpg

Force India experiencing issues in Bahrain

Keep in mind that in 2010, Jenson Button a robbery target in Sao Paulo within his private car and security detail.

Manama, Apr 20(ANI): Force India has confirmed they would participate in the Bahrain Grand Prix this weekend despite four of its team members being trapped up in a petrol bomb incident on Wednesday night.

On Friday, Force India drivers Paul di Resta and Nico Hulkenberg voiced their worries regarding the situation in the wake of what proved to be another violent clash between the police and protesters.

A car transporting four team personnel was caught up in traffic as it made its way back from the Bahrain International Circuit to capital Manama.

The incident led to two team members flying home, one a data engineer and the other involved in radio transmission.

A high-capacity meeting between Force India's deputy team principal Bob Fernley, sporting director Andy Stevenson, John Yates, the former assistant commissioner of the Metropolitan police currently acting as an advisor to the Bahraini police force, BIC senior consultant Martin Whitaker and Pasquale Lattuneddu, right-hand man to F1 boss Bernie Ecclestone took place today to discuss the issue.

Fernley said they have asked for the authorities to take proper safety measures, and there is no chance for them to pull out of the race.

"There is no chance whatsoever of us withdrawing. The main thing is we are quite supportive of making sure this all happens in a proper way," The Daily Mail quoted Fernley, as saying.

'Like other teams we've had requests from MPs to withdraw from the race, and I've written back to them. We've been quite clear with our programme," he added.

"The FIA and FOM, who we have contractual obligations with, have said it's safe and correct for us to be here. We've accepted that process. We know there are going to be protests, we know there are going to be elements to it, but to make sure everything is minimized from a team point of view," he said.

Interesting news that's happened in IndyCar

Some Lotus teams want to get a new engine provider in IndyCar....

http://auto-racing.speedtv.com/article/indycar-tough-decisions-pending-by-the-series-lotus-and-its-teams/

Honda gets approval for turbo

http://auto-racing.speedtv.com/article/indycar-tough-decisions-pending-by-the-series-lotus-and-its-teams/

Chevy's not too happy with that...

http://auto-racing.speedtv.com/article/indycar-chevy-protests-change-to-hondas-turbo-specification/

Let the wars commence, man I love this season for IndyCar

baltimoreravens.png

Vettel wins from the pole, with Räikkönen and (my boy) Grosjean on the podium. Kimi was within a yard from Vettel on a turn or two, but the Red Bull team had a better pitstop and it basically clinched it if Vettel could stay out the rest of the race. He did, and right as he passed the line he shut it down and turned onto pit road. McClaren had a pretty bad day overall, Button called it a race with 1 lap to go after losing like 7 spots after popping a tire.

Pretty good race I thought. Vettel also is in the lead for the Championship

Give them a few races, I think Lotus will be a team to watch out for, especially with Kimi back at the wheel & Roman is a up & comer that I feel will have a bright future. Nico also did well with a 5th place finish.

According to "Uncle Bernie" France is a done deal.

http://formula-one.speedtv.com/article/f1-bernie-ecclestone-confirms-french-gp-deal-done/

Bernie Ecclestone on Sunday confirmed reports France is definitely heading back to the F1 calendar.

Reports earlier this weekend said authorities had "finally agreed" a figure for the sanctioning fee with F1 chief executive Ecclestone.

It is expected that the Ecclestone-owned Paul Ricard will share an annually alternating Grand Prix date with Belgium's Spa-Francorchamps, beginning in 2013.

"Yes," the 81-year-old Briton told French daily L'Equipe in the Bahrain paddock on Sunday.

"The deal is done," said Ecclestone.

I'd wish they didn't have to alternate with Belgium though.

baltimoreravens.png

Great race and I never thought I'd say that about the Sakhir track!

I found myself in an usual position during this race, by ending up rooting for the Lotus cars.

Being a fan of Lotus Racing (as my second team after McLaren) I've been disappointed over the whole name debacle. Briefly put, I still think that Proton/Lotus Cars should have kept to the original agreement.. anyway, despite that I really was hoping Kimi could get the win. Not that I've got anything against Vettel wining today, mind.

The Enstone team certainly look like they should be able to get some momentum from these recent results, just the same as Mercedes seems to be. I think this is shaping up to be a great season.

Roll on the Spanish Snoozefest part uno.

http://www.theepochtimes.com/n2/sports/chevrolet-dominating-indycar-engine-competition-after-three-rounds-222330-page-2.html

"The Volkswagen-Audi Group, Fiat/Chrysler, and Ford have all shown interest and might seriously consider signing on now that the series has proved it is viable. The status and promotional power of these factories could give the series a boost back to the status it once held, as the premier form of racing in North America. And these factories might join whether or not Lotus remains."

If this is true... Best... News... Ever... :grin:

baltimoreravens.png

"The Volkswagen-Audi Group, Fiat/Chrysler, and Ford have all shown interest and might seriously consider signing on now that the series has proved it is viable. The status and promotional power of these factories could give the series a boost back to the status it once held, as the premier form of racing in North America. And these factories might join whether or not Lotus remains."

That would be awesome. There was no better time in American open-wheel than the mid-late '90s when there was competition in chassis (Reynard/Lola/Swift/Penske), engines (Mercedes/Ford/Toyota/Honda) and even tires (Firestone vs. Goodyear). The more the merrier.

Archived