Open Wheel Racing Chat

KDubK414

Hungary was today. Hamilton led the entire race, with the Lotus boys going 2-3.

Kimi came out dead even with Grosjean after he pitted from the lead, and caught up to Hamilton but couldn't pass. Lotus will have a win soon.

Schumi stalled on the grid at the very start, started from the pits, then got a speeding penalty in the pits on the first stop. He's done. Bruno Senna had a 7th place finish, and Maldonado hit DiResta and is under another investigation.

• Replies 358
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...

Bumping for some news & also, the vacation is over... Time for F1 to get back to work.

btw, rumors of ALMS & Grand-Am merging to create the ultimate American open wheel series.

http://jalopnik.com/5939848/alms-reportedly-merging-with-grand-am-to-create-one-crazy-:censored:ing-awesome-racing-series

I would love to see the DP's take on the LMP's especially in Sebring, Daytona, etc.

baltimoreravens.png

1. Jenson Button McLaren-Mercedes

2. Kamui Kobayashi Sauber-Ferrari

3. Kimi Raikkonen Lotus-Renault

4. Sergio Perez Sauber-Ferrari

5. Fernando Alonso Ferrari

6. Pastor Maldonado Williams-Renault

7. Lewis Hamilton McLaren-Mercedes

8. Romain Grosjean Lotus-Renault

9. Paul di Resta Force India-Mercedes

10. Sebastian Vettel Red Bull-Renault

11. Nico Hulkenberg Force India-Mercedes

12. Mark Webber Red Bull-Renault

13. Michael Schumacher Mercedes

14. Felipe Massa Ferrari

15. Jean-Eric Vergne Toro Rosso-Ferrari

16. Daniel Ricciardo Toro Rosso-Ferrari

17. Bruno Senna Williams-Renault

18. Heikki Kovalainen Caterham-Renault

19. Vitaly Petrov Caterham-Renault

20. Timo Glock Marussia-Cosworth

21. Pedro de la Rosa HRT-Cosworth

22. Charles Pic Marussia-Cosworth

23. Nico Rosberg Mercedes

24. Narain Karthikeyan HRT-Cosworth

Grid for Spa tomorrow.

Amazingly Button's first pole since Monaco '09 :blink:

1 hour ago, BringBackTheVet said:

sorry sweetie, but I don't suck minor-league d

CCSLC Post of the day September 3rd 2012

Sorry for the long absence - the comp's hard drive decided to call it a day and its took a while to get back up and running.

Anywho..

Decent enough race in Belgium with a great result. Thankfully everyone was ok after that first turn fiasco. Can't really say who is to blame, sure Romain went over into Hamilton but it seemed more of a racing incident. To be honest I'd portion as much blame on Maldonardo for his blatant jump start, which sort of scattered the front runners.

Have to say, I'm not a fan of the new podium style that first appeared at Silverstone. Today's presentation with Jacky Ickx was sleep inducing.

And, something worth noting. The BBC did an interview with Bernie who let slip this nugget: "its a shame [Michael] is leaving without having another win" - something which Schu denied in the post-race, stating that he had had a conversation with Ecclestone yesterday and had mentioned that he 'hadn't made his mind up'. Read into that what you will.

6893352392_587cf4e9eb_n.jpg

Knowing Uncle Bernie, maybe he'll force him into it. Who knows. I'm kicking myself for missing the race but I'm happy that...

Jenson won

I'm interested to see what happens later today in Baltimore. Will Power looks like he is going to dominate & after this, I think its Fontana & that's it & if so, it's been a better season that most Indy Car seasons which is usually dominated by Dario. It's good to possibly see others go for it, but in this case its either Power or RHR.

BTW, free agents in Indycar

-Rahal

-Barichello

-Briscoe

-Bourdrais

-Servia

Plus with the other rumored races, off season is going be rather interesting.

baltimoreravens.png

Guess the stewards saw the La Source incident different to me. Grosjean has been given a one race ban. Looks like Jerome d'Ambrosio will be starting for Lotus at Monza.

There's also increased talk of adding enclosed cockpits to the cars in the coming seasons.

Grosjean is a repeat offender. One race ban is fair IMO.

I have seen several news stories that plans are in place to implement by 2014 (link).

Having seen how close he came to decapitating said driver* surely these actions are warranted.

*as to not spoil race result for anyone yet to watch it.

UBI FIDES IBI LUX ET ROBUR

Oh boy...

http://auto-racing.speedtv.com/article/indycar-major-silly-season-developments-at-baltimore/

So you?re Ryan Hunter-Reay, a winner in every class you?ve ever driven and you?re having a breakout season for Andretti Autosport, the squad that threw you a life jacket three years ago.

You?re in the title chase after three consecutive victories earlier this year and the team is now looking at you as its leader. You haven?t re-signed yet but owner Michael Andretti is close to re-upping DHL and Sun Drop as your primary sponsors and preparing a new contract for you to sign.

Then Roger Penske comes calling.

SPEED.com has learned that Team Penske approached Hunter-Reay about filling Ryan Briscoe's seat for the 2013 season, but only after Simon Pagenaud had to turn it down because of his iron-clad contract he has with Sam Schmidt?s Honda-powered team.

Oh before I forget, I saw this a few days ago...

I know I'm not a fan of Red Bull, but in all seriousness, I can't wait for this race. Well, other than this year in Austin.

baltimoreravens.png

^I was amazed by that Baltimore circuit. I had no idea it went by Camden Yards. The hairpin was a little tight. Kind of reminded me of Durban (A1 GP)...

And in F1 rumour mill news....

Lewis Hamilton 'set for move to Mercedes'

Lewis Hamilton is on the verge of leaving McLaren to drive for Mercedes next season, according to BBC F1 chief analyst Eddie Jordan.

The former team boss says Hamilton will replace Michael Schumacher, who will retire from driving for a second time at the end of the year.

"I believe Hamilton and Mercedes have already agreed personal terms and a deal could be imminent," Jordan said.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...rmula1/19489930

Pinch of salt required for now.

Di Resta and Raikonen being tipped as replacements.

^I was amazed by that Baltimore circuit. I had no idea it went by Camden Yards. The hairpin was a little tight. Kind of reminded me of Durban (A1 GP)...

And in F1 rumour mill news....

Lewis Hamilton 'set for move to Mercedes'

Lewis Hamilton is on the verge of leaving McLaren to drive for Mercedes next season, according to BBC F1 chief analyst Eddie Jordan.

The former team boss says Hamilton will replace Michael Schumacher, who will retire from driving for a second time at the end of the year.

"I believe Hamilton and Mercedes have already agreed personal terms and a deal could be imminent," Jordan said.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...rmula1/19489930

Pinch of salt required for now.

Di Resta and Raikonen being tipped as replacements.

Kimi going back to McLaren??? Oh now that's rich. :lol:

I called it when he sent out the two tweets about his wing & the stats on his car that he was done. All I can say is good flippin riddance, sure he's a talented driver but he's a bigger whiner than Vettel or Webber, maybe even Villeneuve. Sure all are talented but they're not in preschool. I could see DiResta going, with him signing into Button's agency, fierce loyalty to Mercedes & especially with Force India's rumor of not paying their drivers. Speaking of F.I. They could be in trouble if DiResta goes.

http://totalf1.com/full_story/view/427405/Hulkenberg_and_Sutil_in_the_running_to_replace_Massa/

Hulkenberg & Sutil are being looked at replacements for Massa.

BTW, the merger is complete Grand-AM will merge with ALMS

http://auto-racing.speedtv.com/article/grand-am-details-of-alms-unification-emerge/

** Exact details of the class structure is not expected to be announced tomorrow. However, it?s believed both the current Daytona Prototype and Rolex Series GT categories will be included, along with the highly competitive ALMS GT class. P2 could also feature, although possibly equalized with a potentially faster DP class.

** There appears to be a desire to continue a relationship with the Automobile Club de l?Ouest, although the current agreement with the ALMS expires in 2013. Many questions still surround this potential arrangement, especially as it could relate to the class structure and international link.

Please don't make the same mistakes that almost killed IndyCar.

baltimoreravens.png

no joke HB, no joke but even with Hamilton winning, I doubt he'll stay

Now we all remember this...

article-2197803-14D0C9B1000005DC-144_468x286.jpg

This has caused F1 to say, ok, we need to get this resolved. I found some concepts that could possibly happen to F1 & possibly IndyCar...

http://f1insight.blogspot.com/2012/08/will-we-ever-see-closed-cockpit-in.html

Personally, they look like rockets & some of them, I do enjoy & could see it happen. Thoughts?

Oh & to add more fuel to the flame.

http://www.autoweek.com/article/20120907/F1/120909880

FIA president Jean Todt will try to persuade Audi, Porsche and Toyota—the three manufacturers whose LMP1 sports-car prototype programs are essential for the FIA World Endurance Championship—to enter Formula One. He revealed his intentions in Monza ahead of this weekend's F1 Italian Grand Prix, and added that he would also pursue an objective to cut costs by a third in F1 before 2016.

baltimoreravens.png

I doubt he'll stay

Well he has to think, is it worth the gamble going to Merc when they have only won one race in 3 years (I'll keep the Brawn Miracle of '09 separate for now). Plus the rumour also has a 4-year £60m (c.$96m) price tag... who can afford that? Even the Three Pointed Start might balk at that.

Thing with these kind of rumours in motorsport is that you can never really tell what will happen. Just look at Raikonen. He was odds on to join Williams this year and then Lotus popped up from nowhere.

So while I think he could stay, I'm not 100% ;)

This has caused F1 to say, ok, we need to get this resolved. I found some concepts that could possibly happen to F1 & possibly IndyCar...

http://f1insight.blo...cockpit-in.html

Personally, they look like rockets & some of them, I do enjoy & could see it happen. Thoughts?

First things first... those are some stunning concepts posted there. If they had to have them, and they looked like that then I guess it wouldn't be too bad.

I'm not sure myself on whether or not they should actually have them. They'd have to be fitted with some sort of quick release to comply with the safety requirement of getting out of the car within a certain number of seconds.

Oh & to add more fuel to the flame.

http://www.autoweek....07/F1/120909880

FIA president Jean Todt will try to persuade Audi, Porsche and Toyota?the three manufacturers whose LMP1 sports-car prototype programs are essential for the FIA World Endurance Championship?to enter Formula One. He revealed his intentions in Monza ahead of this weekend's F1 Italian Grand Prix, and added that he would also pursue an objective to cut costs by a third in F1 before 2016.

Well I would count out Toyota for now. They've probably got a serious case of 'once bitten twice shy'.

As for Audi-Porsche-VW I can see it happening, in fact I think it needs to happen. In what guise is a matter of conjecture. Porsche has the high-end glamour, but Audi is the darling racing brand of the company right now. VW maybe the more mundane of the lot, but they already supply engines in a lower formuale so they're not against using that name in sport. Either way, its not like any of them need the additional exposure!

Its an odd situation for them though. They've seen BMW go the engine-then-team route and Toyota's ground up approach both ending in rather expensive mediocrity. Not something that can make you rush into F1 or even IRL for that matter. However, get it right... like Red Bull and everybody knows your name.

Archived