Open Wheel Racing Chat

KDubK414

At least Losail has some different characteristics then your typical Tilke track does, I'd like to see that exchanged with Bahrain, which I dont know about anyone else in this thread, but I find to be boring as hell. It has been asked whats going to happen to the calendar with all these new events coming online in the next few years, but Bernie has made mention within the last couple of seasons that F1's future does not sit in Europe.

• Replies 358
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree, Sakhir is a dull track. And when you thought they couldn't make it worse, they managed it in '10 when they added that little extra loop out back. Utterly pointless.

With the poltical situation in the country being very delicate I think they should have moved this year's race to either Dubai or Qatar. Its not like its a million miles away for those in the region who would have traveled to the Bahraini GP anyway.

As for Bernie's view on Europe's position in the sport.. well it may not be the stronghold that it once was, but the sport is based in Europe and the United Kingdom so you can't exactly exculde the region. I can appricicate the expansion into the untapped markets, such as Korea and India, but there's no need to go to every nook and cranny of the world.

Sometimes its done right; Malaysia and Singapore being good examples. Other times there are misfires; China hasn't really caught on but gets by and Korea is still 50-50. And then there are the failures, such as Turkey. A great facility but poor promotion (allegedly) and possibly a lack of appitite for the sport meant empty grandsstands. Naturally, as I have previously aruged about Korea, that if you stick to the long game then it could get a foothold and become more popular, but they've lost that opportunity now.

There are 20 circuits contracted for the '14 season, and I can't see them going above that number. The teams are against it, even with the three week break. Given Port Imperial's delay and the IOC's concerns over Sochi there's still chance that it may not be 20 races.

I'm ruling out Thailand for now, they only have an agreement "in principle" which is vauge enough to brag that they have a race.

And if someone times it right, who knows maybe France could probably jump in and fill the void left by one of those events.

6893352392_587cf4e9eb_n.jpg

He said that about Europe? Wow. You look at the driver field, and nearly all of the countries they're from(sans France and Finland) have races. You have to stick in the places where you hav fans now to keep it going. If you exit those markets to build a new market, then you exile old fans, and risk the events being complete disasters

I hope this carries on when the merge is complete.

http://www.grand-am....?cid=6383&sid=1

Earlier this year, GRAND-AM announced the new class to allow for cars and technologies currently not involved in the Rolex Series, that will debut in the 2013 Rolex 24 At Daytona.

Eligible cars already announced for the class were the Lotus Evora GX, Porsche Cayman, and Mazda with the Skyactiv-D turbo diesel in a model to be determined.

GRAND-AM today expanded that list to 13 models from 12 different manufacturers, adding the Audi TT, BMW 1 Series, Chevrolet Cruze, Ford Focus (four door), Hyundai Genesis, Subaru BRZ, Scion FR-S, Nissan 370Z or Altima, and Volkswagen EOS.

Also, Jersey could be saved... If RedBull shows up according to Uncle Bernie

http://formula-one.s...news-briefs154/

Red Bull, the Austrian energy drink and championship-winning F1 team owner, could be the savior of the embattled GP Of America. Bernie Ecclestone has reportedly told a motor racing website that billionaire Dietrich Mateschitz should step in to fund the race, after organization and funding shortfalls forced the delay of the inaugural event, which had been scheduled for 2013..."In the absence of state support, I think the only way the Grand Prix of America can proceed is if a wealthy backer gets behind it. Red Bull certainly has the resources to do so and it clearly has an interest in promoting its brand in the area," Sylt told the New Jersey newspaper Star-Ledger. "It is also worth mentioning that Ecclestone told me that if a backer comes on board very soon there is a possibility that the race could take place next year."

So would they back Thailand too then cause RedBull is rumored to be the main reason they're even in the running.

EDIT: Looky Looky, what changes could be made for 2014

F1-2014.jpg

baltimoreravens.png

As for Bernie's view on Europe's position in the sport.. well it may not be the stronghold that it once was, but the sport is based in Europe and the United Kingdom so you can't exactly exculde the region. I can appricicate the expansion into the untapped markets, such as Korea and India, but there's no need to go to every nook and cranny of the world.

I wouldn't expect F1 to vacate Europe, but I imagine if it gets down to it Bernie would be willing to expend all but a few. Monaco is obviously the one untouchable, and recent history says that Silverstone was vulnerable, though with the new paddock they are probably safe for a while, and Spa isn't a sure thing either. The only other is Monza, I started watching F1 again in '06 and don't recall any real threat against the circuit. If space does have to be made Korea has already been talked about being dropped and Australia has been on the rocks for a couple of years now, especially if Bernie can't get the venue to run a night race.

Yeah, Istanbul is nice. I like Valencia, but that's with the Spain race now. 19 seems off because it isn't a round number, I think it should be capped at 20, and just adjust accordingly

If only France could get one!

As popular as the Otodrom is I'm against it returning, I just feel that there never was much support there for F1.

As for number of races, we had 17 for quite a while, so they're not concerned about uneven race numbers. I guess they could parachute another race into the slot for Port Imperial, but I have a feeling that it'll just be left vacant.

Bernie could save himself a lot of headache if he would stop putting races on the schedule that don't even have tracks completed! Korea barely got their track finished in time a couple of years ago. Austin cut it close with COTA.

I guess it's a catch 22 though. We won't give you a race unless you have a track. We won't build a track unless you give us a race...

If true... Forza Italy & no not the political party

http://www.racer.com...article/265403/

AUTOSPORT magazine reports that the IZOD IndyCar Series will host its first race in Italy next year, with Monza, Imola and Mugello vying for the race.

Rumors of an Italian race have circulated for some time, but the AUTOSPORT report is the first to claim a deal has been agreed. Dr. Paola Mannetti, a spokesman for the organizing committee behind the race, told AUTOSPORT that a deal has been agreed with IndyCar for a race next September.

"I can confirm that Italy will have a round of the 2013 IndyCar Series, and that the race has been fixed for September," Mannetti told AUTOSPORT. "We cannot tell which circuit will be used, because there are options, but the choice is now imminent."

The big deal is if they get Mugello, considering its a Ferrari track which could mean that Fiat, Alfa or Chrysler get involved in IndyCar. Considering when Monza is next year, that might get thrown out, although I could dream of Monza or Mugello.

baltimoreravens.png

Yeah, I think France is almost done, now the million dollar question, Magny-Cours or Paul Ricard. There was also some big news.

http://formula-one.speedtv.com/article/f1-bernie-ecclestone-now-concedes-formula-one-v6s-arriving-in-2014/

Bernie Ecclestone has all but conceded that F1 will say goodbye to its familiar V8 engines late next year.

The F1 chief executive is worried about the tamer tones of the turbo V6 engines that are under development for 2014, and had indicated a delayed introduction of the radical new rules was possible.

Uncle Bernie also wants to cut spending as well.

http://formula-one.speedtv.com/article/f1-bernie-ecclestone-pushing-for-f1-budget-cap

Bernie Ecclestone has admitted he is pushing to introduce a budget cap' in Formula One.

Reports indicate the F1 supremo envisages a team's maximum spending at US $250 million per year.

"We are definitely looking at a budget cap," the Briton, who turns 82 on Sunday, told the Times of India.

"The cap will include everything, even driver retainers," said Ecclestone. "But at the moment it's my idea. Only about 50 percent of the people support me on this."

Interesting things are afoot in F1

baltimoreravens.png

Open Wheeled racing has some pretty bad leaders.

Also, incase you were wondering, Vettel won again. He has every lap since Hamilton retired in Singapore. 3 1/2 races ago. Yeah, this championship is almost a lock. But he does only have 1 engine left to use in 3 races. So if one blows, who knows, it could be interesting.

Yesterday, Massa was running slow conserving fuel, but not letting Kimi pass him for the point, and the Lotus twitter said it was a bitch move, ahahah.

Abu Dhabi this weekend.

It doesn't help that Abu Dabhi is considered... Oh I dunno, A VETTEL TRACK??!?!?!?!?

As for Randy's termination, this is a sad day for American Open Wheel, I honestly think Roger Penske said it best.

"I'm very disappointed in this decision; the board continues to show poor judgment. There is no future plan," Penske told the AP. "The series had momentum. New cars, new engines and new race formats, all brought about by Randy.

"No business can run with a senior management change every two years."

BTW, my feeling of the BoD in IndyCar.. Skip to 1:00

No, I won't stop watching, but please get your crap together, don't rehire Tony George, get someone that actually gives a damn like Randy did.

baltimoreravens.png

Abu Dhabi this weekend.

Oh joy. I can hardly contain my excitement(!) ;) Hopefully though we might get a bit more action in Yas than we did at Budh.

I like the track design from video games, but I haven't watched a race there, so the verdict is out. But hey, I said that about Valencia, and that race was pretty solid!

Well according to reports, Prost is talking to Uncle Bernie about getting the French Grand Prix & Marussia needs an investor, so that could be a rather ugly sign for them. Now for those that follow the V8 supercars, Nissan just showed off the CoT...

2013_nissan_altima_f34_ns_103112_717.jpg

So id' figured I'd showed the others as well & get some feedback.

Holden:

Red-Bull-V8-Supercar.jpg

Ford: (which may change again because the Falcon is getting a upgrade)

fpr-falcon-cotf.jpg

& out of nowhere, Mercedes:

76586_408128292575746_1433197706_n.jpg

I've been impressed with v8 so far, I can't wait to see what happens next season.

baltimoreravens.png

IndyCar just cannot find it in itself to succeed, can it? What exactly were they not getting that they were looking for? At least they had the common sense to avoid letting Tony George return to power again, but still, I fail to see the issue with Bernard. It's not his fault Danica Patrick left.

He has every lap since Hamilton retired in Singapore. 3 1/2 races ago.

First driver since Ayrton Senna in 1989 to lead every lap for three straight races.

Really? Schumacher never managed that with all his dominance? Must have been due to refueling during his era then.

I'm glad to see from that illustration above that those HIDEOUS stepped noses on the cars are going away, along with all those dumb aero bits. The cars now are as visually bad as they have ever been.

HansonsSig.jpg

Click here to read Third String Goalie - The Hockey Jersey of the Day Blog

Click here to see my hockey and baseball jersey collection online

?You don?t like to see 20 kids punching 20 other kids. But it?s not a disgrace, It?s hockey.? - Michael Farber

Yeah, that's the one thing that people kept complaining about is the platypus nose, I'd say about the same amount complaints about the walrus as well... Now, if Seb wants to prove himself a worthy champ, we shall see how he does in Abu Dhabi. This is going to get interesting, cause now Pastor is in the top 3 & we know how he & Lewis get along...

In all seriousness, Alonso has to do well tomorrow & make sure Seb is in his rear view, either way, "fuel gate" may have cost him his 3rd title.

baltimoreravens.png

Archived