Open Wheel Racing Chat

KDubK414

Unless Vettel does a Button (Canada '10) then the title could be decided in Austin.

Which got me thinking, it could be the first time the title has been won in the US?

Nice stat for the track to go with Texas being the only State to have a (modern era) F1 race in two separate locations.

6893352392_587cf4e9eb_n.jpg

• Replies 358
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Which got me thinking, it could be the first time the title has been won in the US?

It's happened six times already.

At Sebring in 1959, Watkins Glen three times in the 70s, and back to back years at Caesar's Palace in the early 80s.

1 hour ago, BringBackTheVet said:

sorry sweetie, but I don't suck minor-league d

CCSLC Post of the day September 3rd 2012

It's amazing, this looked to be Alonso's chance to get back into control of this championship, then somehow Vettel finds himself in 4th with a chance for a win anyways.

EDIT: I apologize I didn't hide the above when I posted it, hopefully I didn't ruin the race for anyone here

At Sebring in 1959, Watkins Glen three times in the 70s, and back to back years at Caesar's Palace in the early 80s.

Well I'll be.. !

Thanks for that, I knew someone would know the proper stats. :)

I've been pondering all day what countries have the most championship deciding races, and I guess the US has just jumped up the list.

I figure Japan, Brazil and Australia have the most, with I think Hungary and France maybe quite high (thanks to the Schumacher era).

Can't figure out how to do the Spoiler button at the moment, so I won't say anything about the results, but a great grand Prix in Abu Dhabi today!

It was a good race. In fact, it's probably the best one yet from Abu Dhabi.

I know I lambasted the place a few posts back, but it seems to be a better place than I remember. Although its far from being a great track in my opinion, at least it has more to look at than Bahrain.

Shame for Hamilton, and more so McLaren, but fantastic result for the Enstone team. Now they've won one with the Lotus name, I'm personally going to happy that they are using it. I'm still not enamoured at the ownership situation, but we can't have everything.

Didn't care for the antics on the podium from a certain driver. I thought DC handled it very well.

Roll on Austin!

Either Seb is an extremely talented driver or Red Bull got a horseshoe in Seb's machines. I'm waiting to see the replay but from what I'm told, the Iceman is back.

Hopefully Nascar could take notes from V8, better yet, anyone trying to keep costs down. I like V8's plans so far.

BTW, 2 more weeks til Austin, I can't wait to see what will happen, not just F1, but V8, Motogp, hopefully IndyCar & NASCAR.

baltimoreravens.png

Kimi killed it! Hamilton was heading for a sure win and blew it. But Seb really had a great drive.

Also no luck for Grosjean, I dont think either incident was his fault. I thought Nico ran into his tire, and then Perez closed down on him later in the race. But Kimi gets the win for Lotus, and Texas is next

Well I'll be.. !

Thanks for that, I knew someone would know the proper stats. :)

I've been pondering all day what countries have the most championship deciding races, and I guess the US has just jumped up the list.

I figure Japan, Brazil and Australia have the most, with I think Hungary and France maybe quite high (thanks to the Schumacher era).

Japan does indeed have the most, 13.

Full list:

Japan - 13 (Fuji 1976 / Suzuka 1987, 1988, 1989, 1990, 1991, 1996, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2003, 2011 / Aida 1995)

Italy - 11 (Monza 1950, 1956, 1961, 1963, 1966, 1969, 1972, 1973, 1975, 1978, 1979)

United States - 6 (Sebring 1959 / Watkins Glen 1970, 1974, 1977 / Caesars Palace 1981, 1982)

Brazil - 5 (Interlagos 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009)

Germany - 3 (Nurburgring 1952, 1957, 1965)

Mexico - 3 (Hermanos Rodriguez 1964, 1967, 1968)

Portugal - 3 (Boavista 1960 / Estoril 1984, 1993)

Switzerland - 2 (Bremgarten 1953, 1954)

South Africa - 2 (East London 1962 / Kyalami 1983)

Britain - 2 (Aintree 1955 / Brands Hatch 1985)

Australia - 2 (Adelaide 1986, 1994)

Spain - 2 (Pedralbes 1951 / Jerez 1997)

Hungary - 2 (Hungaroring 1992, 2001)

Morocco - 1 (Ain-Diab 1958)

Austria - 1 (Osterreichring 1971)

Canada - 1 (Ile Notre-Dame 1980)

France - 1 (Magny-Cours 2002)

Belgium - 1 (Spa 2004)

UAE - 1 (Abu Dhabi 2010)

On the topic of today's race, surprisingly good from Abu Dhabi, roll on Texas!

1 hour ago, BringBackTheVet said:

sorry sweetie, but I don't suck minor-league d

CCSLC Post of the day September 3rd 2012

^I doff my hat to you sir for compiling that list. :) I don't know which one's more surprising - Britain or Switzerland.

Interesting news story out of Paris.....

I wonder if this will lead to Pic joining Caterham next season?

Renault and Caterham Group announce a partnership to design and build sports vehicles

- Renault and Caterham Group today announced their decision to join forces in pursuit of a common project: to design develop and build future sports vehicles. This agreement reflects a similar passion and expertise in sports and motorsports vehicles.

- The future vehicles will be distinctive, differentiated, and carry the respective DNA of Alpine and Caterham Cars, the automotive division of Caterham Group. They will be built at the Alpine plant in Dieppe, Normandy, in France.

- The Caterham Group will own 50% stake in the Automobiles Alpine Renault company, currently 100 % held by Renault SAS. The Société des Automobiles Alpine Caterham, which will be resulting from this partnership, shall be created in January 2013. It will be managed by Bernard Ollivier

http://www.caterhamf1.com/news/2012/caterham-and-renault-to-build-sports-vehicles

It's only a matter of time before Rossi comes in, then it'll be Daly & Cheever's son (whose testing for Ferrari) comes in. Well, some more tidbits coming in, not just F1 though.

http://auto-racing.speedtv.com/article/grand-am-2014-class-structure-being-finalized/

While the formal merger between the American Le Mans Series and GRAND-AM has been less than 60 days in the making, organizers from the unified sports car series are planning to have the fundamental guidelines for 2014 championship soon in place.

American Le Mans Series President and CEO Scott Atherton confirmed the class structure and general technical regulations for the championship will be announced by the end of this year at the latest. Additionally, Atherton expects the new series' name and branding package to be launched within the first quarter of 2013.

This latest development comes in the wake of continued meetings with manufacturers, teams and series partners, all leading towards the 52nd annual Rolex 24 at Daytona, which will serve as the kick-off race of the yet-to-be-named championship.

Now back to F1

http://formula-one.speedtv.com/article/f1-bernie-ecclestone-names-date-for-possible-magny-cours-return-in-2013

"If we go to France, it will be Magny Cours," he added.

Tony Fernandes will step down....

http://www.planetf1.com/driver/18227/8229143/Fernandes-to-step-down-as-team-boss

The Malaysian tycoon have been at the helm of the squad since they made their debut under the Lotus Racing banner in 2010, but he had always maintained that he didn't want to stay in the job on the long-term.

baltimoreravens.png

Found someone who could replace Vodafone for McLaren...

http://formula-one.speedtv.com/article/f1-grand-prix-news-briefs156/

Sources had told the business journalist Christian Sylt that McLaren could ultimately win the deal, replacing the British team's flagging title backer Vodafone. Asked about the rumors, Ecclestone told Eurosport: "The president of Coca-Cola is a very good friend of mine but the head of marketing has always said he didn't think Formula One was good for them." But the F1 chief executive admitted that "if they do come in I think they will come in with one of their energy drink brands, not Coke itself." Sylt said Coca-Cola's leading energy drink brand is Relentless, which according to Wikipedia "has been compared to energy drinks such as Red Bull." Ecclestone, however, warned: "You wouldn't want to take Red Bull on."

HB, do you know anything about Relentless?

baltimoreravens.png

Well the rumblings are Vodafone are hurting for money & are deciding on what they can keep doing or not. They already cut sponsorship in v8 in Australia so they may leave F1 as well. Too bad Nos isn't as well known. Then again, the reports with Lewis is that he's bringing Monster Energy to Mercedes as well. Basically Energy drink are now the tobacco companies of old. Anybody else noticed this?

Anyway, Austin is next week, the main question, can Vettel three peat or does Fernando's chances go on to Sao Paulo?

baltimoreravens.png

Well the rumblings are Vodafone are hurting for money & are deciding on what they can keep doing or not. They already cut sponsorship in v8 in Australia so they may leave F1 as well. Too bad Nos isn't as well known. Then again, the reports with Lewis is that he's bringing Monster Energy to Mercedes as well. Basically Energy drink are now the tobacco companies of old. Anybody else noticed this?

Anyway, Austin is next week, the main question, can Vettel three peat or does Fernando's chances go on to Sao Paulo?

Vodaphone looked at sport sponsorships in June. They were not getting their ROI for a while. In 2010, they let their deal with Manchester United drop as well as the Champions League; they also dropped English cricket in June and the F1 sponsorship was upwards of $75M/year.

Monster is globally known with motorsport than NOS.

Globally, profit margins on energy drinks are 3x+ per ounce than that of a conventional soft drink. OTOH, the side effects of excessive caffeine and taurine. They are in their infancy in terms of side effects and possible advertising bans too.

In "shocking" news....

http://formula-one.s...r-sale-says-hrt

HRT has taken the unusual step of confirming on its website that the team is up for sale and that negotiations are ongoing.

Thesan Capital, who bought the team only last season and has since moved it to Madrid, has been looking for investment for some time.

The statement said: “The current owners of HRT Formula 1 Team, TC II S.a.rl., would like to confirm that they are currently in talks with a number of groups interested in buying the team

Plus, I'd like to see this happen, possibly get some North & South American blood back into F1

http://en.espnf1.com...tory/94614.html

Formula One's management is considering creating an American version of GP2 or GP3 in order to drive popularity of the sport in the United States which this weekend hosts its first Grand Prix for five years.

Company documents show that it has the working title of the 'Americas Series' and, if given the green light, will feature races in the United States, Canada and Brazil. The aim is to stimulate the development of grass roots motorsports in these countries and generate publicity for F1 so that it eventually attracts more local drivers.

baltimoreravens.png

A little surprised about HRT but when I think about it they have managed to just hang on to the back of the grid for 3 years and lack any major sponsors.

I guess its anyone's guess who could buy them. Should a GP2 team buy them and try to start over? The likes of ART or Brawa Addax spring to mind.

Archived