Open Wheel Racing Chat

KDubK414

Rant time...... Why was it on a Saturday?! I missed it, I thought it was Sunday like normal. :mad: I even had the IRL on series link on the PVR and it didn't pick it up (which is more the fault of the broadcaster for not keeping the boxes updated, I know).

I'm assuming it has a little something to do with our brand of football that IRL didn't want to go up against on Sunday afternoon, but really I don't know, considering last year's Vegas race was on a Sunday.

6fQjS3M.png

• Replies 358
  • Created
  • Last Reply
50556b0798256.image.jpg

The last ten laps, heck most of the race was exciting. I honestly kept thinking, ok, he has to get 5th or higher, if not its Will's. RHR never gave in, he never quit & he got the ultimate reward, he became champion. All in all, this has been one of the better seasons in Indycar, not the best but I'd say pretty close. I can't wait to see what happens next season. Who goes where, what new races occur, I can't wait!!!

Congrats RHR, you earned it champ.

baltimoreravens.png

Rant time...... Why was it on a Saturday?! I missed it, I thought it was Sunday like normal. :mad: I even had the IRL on series link on the PVR and it didn't pick it up (which is more the fault of the broadcaster for not keeping the boxes updated, I know).

Rant time... Why didn't you check the schedule that's been out all year? It's not like they randomly changed the schedule the day before. As far as the race goes, there's part of me that feels sorry for Will Power, but I don't. The difference between champions and the rest, is champions get it done in the clutch. It's not like Power had to do all that much to win this title, but you've got to admit that ovals are in this boy's head and he's got the look of a defeated driver. You really have to wonder how he'll produce next year and if his head's going to be in the game at all. I will say, the one driver I do enjoy watching is Takuma Sato. If he ever learns how to finish races, he could be a title threat. He has the talent like Kyle Busch, but he just needs to learn how to finish a race.

The alleged 2013 F1 schedule

2013 Provisional Formula One Schedule

Mar 17 Australia (Melbourne)

Mar 24 Malaysia (Sepang)

Apr 14 China (Shanghai)

Apr 21 Bahrain (Sakhir)

May 12 Spain (Barcelona)

May 26 Monaco (Monte Carlo)

Jun 9 Canada (Montreal)

Jun 16 America (Port Imperial, NJ)

Jun 30 Britain (Silverstone)

Jul 21 Germany (Hockenheim)

Jul 28 Hungary (Hungaroring)

Sep 1 Belgium (Spa-Francorchamps)

Sep 8 Italy (Monza)

Sep 22 Singapore (Marina Bay)

Oct 6 Japan (Suzuka)

Oct 13 Korea (Yeongam)

Oct 27 India (Buddh/Delhi)

Nov 3 Abu Dhabi (Yas Marina)

Nov 17 United States (Austin)

Nov 24 Brazil (Interlagos)

Right now, Jersey, Korea & Singapore are on the bubble. IndyCar is out of Edmonton which is no surprise, but there are rumors of Ft. Lauderdale, Pocono, Quebec City & Providence.

baltimoreravens.png

Mar 24 Malaysia (Sepang)

Apr 14 China (Shanghai)

Apr 21 Bahrain (Sakhir)

May 12 Spain (Barcelona)

Jun 9 Canada (Montreal)

Sep 8 Italy (Monza)

Oct 6 Japan (Suzuka)

Oct 13 Korea (Yeongam)

Right now, Jersey, Korea & Singapore are on the bubble. IndyCar is out of Edmonton which is no surprise, but there are rumors of Ft. Lauderdale, Pocono, Quebec City & Providence.

I'll believe the Jersey race when I see it. It's not that I don't think it can't be awesome, I still can't fathom them pulling it off. As far as the IRL goes, would those be street courses in QC & Providence?

Mar 24 Malaysia (Sepang)

Apr 14 China (Shanghai)

Apr 21 Bahrain (Sakhir)

May 12 Spain (Barcelona)

Jun 9 Canada (Montreal)

Sep 8 Italy (Monza)

Oct 6 Japan (Suzuka)

Oct 13 Korea (Yeongam)

So now they are scheduling in three-three week breaks and one five week, this is getting a little ridiculous.

Mar 24 Malaysia (Sepang)

Apr 14 China (Shanghai)

Apr 21 Bahrain (Sakhir)

May 12 Spain (Barcelona)

Jun 9 Canada (Montreal)

Sep 8 Italy (Monza)

Oct 6 Japan (Suzuka)

Oct 13 Korea (Yeongam)

I'll believe the Jersey race when I see it. It's not that I don't think it can't be awesome, I still can't fathom them pulling it off. As far as the IRL goes, would those be street courses in QC & Providence?

Right, with the exception of Pocono, the rest are street courses. Since posted, Singapore signed a 5 year extension so Korea & Jersey are ones to watch out for to see if they go through.

baltimoreravens.png

Updating with some big news that happened today.

Lewis Hamilton will be joining Mercedes letting go of Schumi

http://formula-one.speedtv.com/article/f1-done-deal-lewis-hamilton-joining-mercedes/

McLaren has hired Sergio Perez to be his replacement.

http://formula-one.speedtv.com/article/f1-sergio-perez-signs-multi-year-mclaren-deal/

Other than that, Massa is expected to stay with Ferrari, I think only for a year if the Vettel rumors are true.

Last but not least, IndyCar's 2013 schedule will be announced on Sunday.

baltimoreravens.png

Shame to see Hamilton leave McLaren really, but I'm quite happy that they chose Checo as a replacement.

That '13 calendar is now confirmed by the FIA, albiet with S. Korea and Japan switching. And there was a story last week that Thailand have signed an 'agreement in principle' for a night race in 2014. Although it could happen, I can see it acutally happening. We're supposed to have Russia and Argentina join the ranks that same year... and there's no room for either of them.

And, here's the IRL calendar. Sadly no Providence or Quebec (but I'd rather have the Nordiques back instead!)

Three double headers next season, Detroit/Toronto/Houston.

24 March St Petersburg (street)

7 April Barber (road)

21 April Long Beach (street)

5 May Sao Paulo (street)

26 May Indianapolis 500 (oval, triple crown)

1 June Detroit (street)

2 June Detroit (street)

8 June Texas (oval, night)

15 June Milwaukee (oval)

23 June Iowa (oval)

7 July Pocono (oval, triple crown)

13 July Toronto (street)

14 July Toronto (street)

4 August Mid-Ohio (road)

25 August Sonoma (road)

1 September Baltimore (street)

5 October Houston (street)

6 October Houston (street)

19 October Fontana (oval, night, triple crown)

6893352392_587cf4e9eb_n.jpg

Trust me, I'd rather have Sergio than Lewy going around. Besides, it should be interesting come 2014 if the v6's come in, or if Uncle Bernie has his way, never....

http://formula-one.speedtv.com/article/f1-bernie-ecclestone-doesnt-want-turbo-formula-in-2014

Oh wait, what do I also keep hearing in 2014.... Oh that's right, Vettel switiching from one red to another. Makes sense to me, he always wanted to drive for them although on the PlanetF1 forums made a real bold perdicition... Vettel leaves, so does Red Bull & if that's the case, honestly wouldn't surprise me, look what happened to the team Schumi was in after he left.

Kind of glad about the Indy schedule but this.... THIS!!!!! :angered:

http://www.sportsbus...es/IndyCar.aspx

Former IndyCar Series CEO Tony George has put together an investor group that includes some of the sport’s top team owners — Chip Ganassi, Roger Penske, Michael Andretti and Kevin Kalkhoven — as well as motorsports marketer Zak Brown that recently proposed the board sell them the IndyCar Series. The group has hired the Midwest-based law firm Faegre Baker Daniels and begun a financial due diligence evaluation of the series.

It’s unclear what the George-led group offered the board, but sources said that the group would take over management of IndyCar, which operated at a loss this year, and assume any debt on its books.

You mean the same piece of garbage that ruined American Open Wheel Racing wants another crack? AW HECK NO!!! Keep him away!!!

Right... after calming down, maybe this is a sign of good news with the Grand-Am/ALMS merger, they met with the ACO

http://auto-racing.speedtv.com/article/grand-am-series-meets-with-aco-manufacturers/

baltimoreravens.png

Vettel switiching from one red to another.

The draw to the Prancing Horse is strong, so I couldn't blame him, but I'd rather he stay with the soda boys.

Vettel leaves, so does Red Bull & if that's the case, honestly wouldn't surprise me, look what happened to the team Schumi was in after he left.

Interesting. I suppose there are enough promising stars in the RBR stable to fill the gap if Seb left, but I wonder how long Herr Mateschitz would keep funding the team if they lost the fizz?

Kind of glad about the Indy schedule but this.... THIS!!!!! :angered:

Do what now?! Just no. Surely common sense would see that staying as they are, and showing signs of gradual expansion, is the right way to go?

I wish they were making this one up...

Greece has unblocked nearly €30 million for the construction of a circuit capable of hosting a Formula 1 grand prix.

http://www.autosport...t.php/id/102997

Oh lord.... Thailand, France, South Africa & Argentina combined have a better chance than Greece. Let this fly well with the people of Greece, I'm sure it will go as well as the European Union visit this week.

baltimoreravens.png

^Good. Should have stayed retired if you ask me. Mercedes will be far better off without him now.

I found the Japanese GP a little flat if I'm honest. I think it was the fac that Vettel was so far ahead - helped a little by leaving Kamui in the dust at the re-start.

Still great result for Sauber. Roll on Korea!

Some interesting news coming from yesterday & today

http://auto-racing.s...bout-2013-date/

"A story in an Italian newspaper La Repubblica says IndyCar is coming to the Ferrari-owned Mugello road course next September, but it's a long way from being a reality."

It also mentions that Randy has been speaking with FIAT, which could mean that one of their brands could get involved so a possible return for Alfa Romeo???

This however, may have been some great optimistic news, hopefully :)

http://www.racer.com...article/262989/

"Honda is open to the idea of a return to Formula 1 in the future, even though it thinks such a move will not happen in the short-term."

"There have been several rumours since then that Honda could be tempted back - and high-level sources have suggested that informal talks have taken place between the Japanese car maker and the FIA about a future F1 programme.

Now, one of its senior figures has admitted that there are grounds for it to consider a return.

Yoshiharu Yamamoto, a senior Honda board member who is CEO of Honda R&D, says that he would be keen to get the company back to F1."

I'm all for Honda's return to F1. Senna gave them some of their best years & there was always the rumor that McLaren would either go back to Honda, stick with Mercedes or create their own engine.

EDIT:

Also forgot, it looks like Massa will stay for one year & Hulkenberg is Sauber bound.

http://formula-one.speedtv.com/article/f1-felipe-massa-staying-at-ferrari-nico-hulkenberg-to-sauber-reports/

British broadcaster BBC reports with confidence that, with his return to the podium at Suzuka following a two-year drought, Felipe Massa could have his new contract to stay at Ferrari confirmed "before" this weekend's Korean Grand Prix.

It's a blow for Force India's Paul di Resta and Nico Hulkenberg, who were linked strongly with the Maranello team's potentially vacant cockpit.

But Switzerland's Blick newspaper reports that German Hulkenberg has a back-up plan that is now "ready for the signatures".

"Nico Hulkenberg will go to Sauber for at least two years," veteran correspondent Roger Benoit reports from Japan.

baltimoreravens.png

Archived