Open Wheel Racing Chat

KDubK414

Mugello is a decent enough track, I hope they can get it arranged. And while they're over here they might as well have a race in the UK....;) so long as its not the Indy circuit at Brands. The main track is a thousand times better.

I could see Honda tying back up with McLaren, but I think the links with Mercedes are still strong (ie. the car division). I guess its a wait and see game right now.

6893352392_587cf4e9eb_n.jpg

• Replies 358
  • Created
  • Last Reply

All filler till Vettel comes in.... Unless he wins a 3rd championship with the Bulls, although with Honda, maybe they're coming back as an engine supplier. There's always the rumbles of McLaren going back, plus it helps that Jenson is somewhat a favorite with the Japanese. Although, if Honda came in as a team, I honestly think they would need a Japaneses driver, maybe Kobiyashi?

baltimoreravens.png

^True, but I guess McLaren could suggest that having Honda linked with one of F1's prestige names again could be more favourable. McLaren are good at making sure things are how they want. After all, I think it was in the Marlboro era that a sponsor wanted their logo in a specific colour and Ron informed them it's in black or white and nothing else.

I hear that NBC is the lead contender for F1 rights next season. Given how bad they did with the Olympics I can't see that being a good thing for Stateside fans.

^True, but I guess McLaren could suggest that having Honda linked with one of F1's prestige names again could be more favourable. McLaren are good at making sure things are how they want. After all, I think it was in the Marlboro era that a sponsor wanted their logo in a specific colour and Ron informed them it's in black or white and nothing else.

I hear that NBC is the lead contender for F1 rights next season. Given how bad they did with the Olympics I can't see that being a good thing for Stateside fans.

"It's disappointing to learn that F1 has elected to move forward with a different media partner. SPEED had been the US voice of F1 since the mid '90s, and it was a passion for many people at the network. FOX Sports Media Group made what we believed to be a fiscally responsible bid based on the sport's current viewership levels, but F1 has elected to go in another direction. We wish them well." FOX Sports Media Group spokesman

This was on Speed's website. Sadly, this is true, Speed lost the rights to F1 after this year, whoever gets them, I hope they at least keep Bob Marsha & David Hobbs as commentators. More than likely on NBC Sports Network than NBC itself. Although, this means they wouldn't only just get F1 but IndyCar & if the NHL comes back, I'll be watching more NBC Sports Network than FOX or ESPN.

Call me what you will but I just want to see more engine manufactures in F1 & Indy, I just think 2 or 3 doesn't work sometimes & yes this is also coming from a guy who watches cars go around circles for 4 or 500 miles.

BTW, Bernie actually did this... He lowered the fee for Korea :Oo:

http://formula-one.speedtv.com/article/f1-bernie-ecclestone-agrees-to-lower-fee-for-korean-gp-extension/

baltimoreravens.png

We got a new points leader, Vettel is back, Alonso has 4 races to go to gain it back or Vettel cruises to a 3rd staright WDC

Other than that according to reports, Hulkenberg is going to sign with Sauber along with Estban Gutierrez. Leaving Kobiyashi out of a ride.

baltimoreravens.png

Get this, he's lead every lap since Hamilton retired from the lead in Singapore. He hardly held on in Korea, but the dude is fast.

Hulkenberg and Toro Rosso impressed me today. Sucks because Nico held Grosjean up the entire race, but it was a very entertaining battle.

On the 2013 schedule: Still not a fan of Port Imperial. Also Singapore is on there again, when it really isn't a good track. I've done a 20 race schedule and mixed around the races and ended up with what I think it should be(take out Hungary/Singapore/Port Imperial/Euro GP) and replacing them with places like Russia, Argentina, Turkey, and France.

Call me what you will but I just want to see more engine manufactures in F1 & Indy, I just think 2 or 3 doesn't work sometimes & yes this is also coming from a guy who watches cars go around circles for 4 or 500 miles.

I agree. F1 does a bit better than Indy right now, but they're only just ahead in terms of participants. Ford and VW-Audi would be top of my list (for both series).

As ever it all comes down to costs.

BTW, Bernie actually did this... He lowered the fee for Korea :Oo:

http://formula-one.s...n-gp-extension/

Amazing that he bends over backwards for them and yet other tracks are left out in the cold. As much as I like the Yeognam circuit (and would love to see the 'town' developed around the track) one has to question its suitabilty for F1 when the place just gathers dust for 51 weeks of the year and they can't even glue their Astroturf down properly.

Then again, as Eddie Jordan correctly pointed out today, you have to be in it for the long run. They seem to have had more fans there this year, so it could be starting to get a foothold in the penninsula.

They just could do with attracting other series, the likes of Indy and Aussie V8's might be a good place to start.

Other than that according to reports, Hulkenberg is going to sign with Sauber along with Estban Gutierrez. Leaving Kobiyashi out of a ride.

Quite surprising, on the Kobiyahi front, but then after KK's mess up today its not shocking. And considering TelMex has already agreed to stay on with Sauber for next year, Gutierez's promotion I guess was almost guarenteed.

Guess that only leaves a few seats. I've heard Pic is a conteder at Caterham (in part thanks to a deal between Renualt and Caterham to build a new Renault Alpine road car). And then Max Chilton is also in contention for the second seat at Marussia.

Here lets do this. Bolded is confirmed, then I put the open seats. Feel free to fill in.

Red Bull

Sebastian Vettel

Mark Webber

Ferrari

Fernando Alonso

seat 2

McClaren

Jenson Button

Sergio Perez

Lotus

Kimi Raikkonen

Romain Grosjean

Mercedes

Lewis Hamilton

Nico Rosberg

Force India

Paul di Resta

seat 2

Sauber

Nico Hulkenberg

seat 2

Williams

seat 1

seat 2

Toro Rosso

seat 1

seat 2

HRT

Pedro de la Rosa

seat 2

Marussia

Timo Glock

seat 2

Caterham

seat 1

seat 2

so free agents as of now that have a seat in 2012 are Massa, Kobayashi, Ricciardo, Vergne, Maldonado, Senna, Petrov, Kovalainen, Pic, and Karthikeyan.

I could see Toro Rosso signing their guys for another year, it would be stupid to completely redo their team for the 3rd strait year. Massa's performance recently have put him back into the Ferrari #2 now. Kobayashi has the most skill out of any non-Massa free agent. I could see Petrov landing in Marussia, just for the fact that he is actually Russian. Kovalainen has been said to be the best of the bottom 6, and could potentially jump to a Force India or Williams I think.

But who knows, I'm not sure who is good in GP2 or the test drivers yet. Maybe we'll see an American!

Glock has already been confirmed at Marussia. And I reckon Massa will get another stint with Ferarri.

After that, I'd say..

Sauber

Hulkenberg

Guiterez

Williams

Pastor Maldonado

Valteri Bottas

STR

JEV

?

Caterham

Heikki Kovalainen

Charles Pic

Marussia

Timo Glock

Max Chilton

HRT

Pedro de la Rosa

Bruno Senna

*This could all change if KK does lose the seat at Sauber. I would imagine there are a few teams that would be willing to snap him up.

Red Bull

Sebastian Vettel

Mark Webber

Ferrari

Fernando Alonso

Feilpe Massa - The F2012 chassis was not up to par at the start but Alonso figured it out and after 2 straight top-4 finishes I think he will be with the Red Horse for 2013 but after that who knows?

McClaren

Jenson Button

Sergio Perez

Lotus

Kimi Raikkonen

Romain Grosjean

Mercedes

Lewis Hamilton

Nico Rosberg

Force India

Paul di Resta

Gary Paffett-The Merc DTM Champion has had a 3rd Driver slot for McClaren but the Mercedes powered team could IMO be his best shot at showing what he has to offer in F1

Sauber

Nico Hulkenberg

Esteban Gutierrez - The Mexican has already proven he can be a threat in GP2 this year and like Perez before him he has the backing of Telcel so this one I feel really confident on predicting

Williams

Valtteri Bottas -The Fin could be the right man for the job in Williams with two back to back years as the Test Driver

Conor Daly- He Will lead the american charge into F1

Toro Rosso

Jean-Eric Verne

Daniel Riccardo

HRT

Pedro de la Rosa

Pastor Maldonado- The Spainish GP victory is the Only reason he will be back next year but not with Williams

Marussia

Timo Glock

Max Chilton

Caterham

Hekki

Alex Rossi- With 2 US based GP's next year the young gun will be one of two american hopes of a GP win

Racing2.png

CapitalCanuck.png

Five-lights.blogspot.com - my Motorsports Blog

Autosport is reporting that Massa returning is all but a done deal

This was on Speed's website. Sadly, this is true, Speed lost the rights to F1 after this year, whoever gets them, I hope they at least keep Bob Marsha & David Hobbs as commentators. More than likely on NBC Sports Network than NBC itself. Although, this means they wouldn't only just get F1 but IndyCar & if the NHL comes back, I'll be watching more NBC Sports Network than FOX or ESPN.

Hopefully Speed will let all of them out of their contract, but Varsha and Hobbs both do other work for the network, so Speed may not be as keen on the idea.

Also, since F1 isn't a big enough draw in the US to warrant putting every race on broadcast TV, I'm assuming it will land on NBCSN, and if this is the case, I'd like to think they can devote a little more coverage to it each week then we get with Speed now, including GP2, which I worry is going to get dropped in the US with the network change.

Red Bull

Sebastian Vettel

Mark Webber

Ferrari

Fernando Alonso

Feilpe Massa - The F2012 chassis was not up to par at the start but Alonso figured it out and after 2 straight top-4 finishes I think he will be with the Red Horse for 2013 but after that who knows?

McClaren

Jenson Button

Sergio Perez

Lotus

Kimi Raikkonen

Romain Grosjean

Mercedes

Lewis Hamilton

Nico Rosberg

Force India

Paul di Resta

Gary Paffett-The Merc DTM Champion has had a 3rd Driver slot for McClaren but the Mercedes powered team could IMO be his best shot at showing what he has to offer in F1

Sauber

Nico Hulkenberg

Esteban Gutierrez - The Mexican has already proven he can be a threat in GP2 this year and like Perez before him he has the backing of Telcel so this one I feel really confident on predicting

Williams

Valtteri Bottas -The Fin could be the right man for the job in Williams with two back to back years as the Test Driver

Conor Daly- He Will lead the american charge into F1

Toro Rosso

Jean-Eric Verne

Daniel Riccardo

HRT

Pedro de la Rosa

Pastor Maldonado- The Spainish GP victory is the Only reason he will be back next year but not with Williams

Marussia

Timo Glock

Max Chilton

Caterham

Hekki

Alex Rossi- With 2 US based GP's next year the young gun will be one of two american hopes of a GP win

I would think Rossi would be up there, I like Daly but I think he needs a little more time before he's ready but if so, then heck yeah for 2 americans in it. I sadly doubt Maldonado will leave Williams, but then again, Pastor is known to open his mouth & shove his foot in, talented but moronic, especially when you say, oh I have options but I want to stay @ Williams. I just hope that the Americans don't go to a crap team like HRT. Although, if the Americans drivers work out, maybe a certain American car company with a certain prestige in F1 could come back???

I'm looking at you blue oval ;)

Although it brings me to one other question, since Russia is coming in 2014, do you think there chances are hurt if Petrov is gone?

Update:

As predicted, NBC will be home for F1

http://www.racer.com...article/263645/

NBC Sports Group is the new home for Formula 1 in the U.S. from 2013. A four-year contract next year will see four races on NBC and the remainder will be on NBCSN, the same network that is the cable home for the IZOD IndyCar Series.

Confirmation of NBC's decision came to the Associated Press Sunday afternoon, followed later by a tweet from the NBCSN account that read, “We are very excited to announce our partnership with Formula One Racing! Stay tuned for more details.”

baltimoreravens.png

Although it brings me to one other question, since Russia is coming in 2014, do you think there chances are hurt if Petrov is gone?

Nah, I think if this Russian race happens I think it'll happen regardless of Petrov being there or not. However you may recall the hoopla over getting Karthikeyan and Chandhock a drive for the Indian race last year, so Petrov might find himself a temporary one race seat. Even if it is just for Friday running - just like Caterham will run Rossi in Austin this year.

There's still time for Petrov though, there are rumblings that the IOC would like the race pushed back to '15 as they are concerned the track construction could disrupt the prep for the Games.

http://www.racer.com...article/263645/

NBC officially confirmed the move on Monday, now with exclusive media rights in the U.S. Beyond airing on TV, all 20 races will be live streamed on NBC Sports Live Extra, the NBC Sports Group's live-stream platform that is available online at NBCSports.com as well as on mobile and tablet apps.
MiamiDolphinsStriping-1_zpsb1620a41.png

I wanted to bring this up from a few posts back...

"FIA president Jean Todt will try to persuade Audi, Porsche and Toyota?the three manufacturers whose LMP1 sports-car prototype programs are essential for the FIA World Endurance Championship?to enter Formula One. He revealed his intentions in Monza ahead of this weekend's F1 Italian Grand Prix, and added that he would also pursue an objective to cut costs by a third in F1 before 2016."

I smell fire....

http://www.f1zone.net/news/rumours-grow-as-porsche-signs-f1-people/16230/

The VW-brand Porsche is returning to Le Mans, but the magazine said rumours are swirling that the project is merely “a warm-up” for F1.

Auto Motor und Sport said Porsche is busily signing-up personnel with F1 experience, including Fritz Enzinger, Alex Hitzinger, Mike Krack and recent Sauber engineer Urs Kuratle.

And the report said Porsche is also expressing interest in people from teams up and down pitlane.

Porsche is establishing its Weissach facility as a state of the art motor sport factory complete with wind tunnel, while the marque’s drivers are reportedly having hours booked in the McLaren simulator.

baltimoreravens.png

Archived