Bizarre/Unusual Numbers on Jerseys

kloo

James+Jones+Houston+Astros+v+Seattle+Mar

On the note of baseball players wearing #99, former Seattle Mariners outfielder James Jones (as of this writing, now a pitcher in the Texas Rangers organziation) wore it during his short stay with the team from 2014-15 (dose stirrups, tho....)

UBwef0L.png

• Replies 449
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I believe he's trying to start a new Yankee trend to retire all the nineties in descending order since all the single digit numbers are done with (except #0. What's with that? Is no one allowed to use #0 in baseball or in the Yankee clubhouse? I realize the NFL has banned the use but in baseball?)

Zero is definitely allowed in MLB, but it wouldn't surprise me if that team banned it. Hell, Bob Sheppard refused to call zero a number when introducing visiting players wearing 0. He would say something like "batting eighth, zero, Rey Ordonez, zero" instead of the usual "pitching, number 38, Dave Mlicki, number 38". Not only is zero a number, its development was one of the most important events in the history of mathematics. Bob Sheppard can suck it.

7 hours ago, cmm said:

Zero is definitely allowed in MLB, but it wouldn't surprise me if that team banned it. Hell, Bob Sheppard refused to call zero a number when introducing visiting players wearing 0. He would say something like "batting eighth, zero, Rey Ordonez, zero" instead of the usual "pitching, number 38, Dave Mlicki, number 38". Not only is zero a number, its development was one of the most important events in the history of mathematics. Bob Sheppard can suck it.

I'm fairly certain the Yankees have banned the use of zero as a number. Which I'm perfectly fine with, FWIW. It's a bit gimmicky.

17 hours ago, KittSmith_95 said:

When the NBA rejected Rodman's request to be #69, he then requested #70. The NBA approved it and he wore 70 for his short stint with the Mavs.

Wouldn't shock me if Stern said no twice. 

If the team is willing to give out the number, how is this even a league matter?

Also: a single-digit number just doesn't fit a pitcher. It looked bad on Atlee Hammaker, and it looks just as bad on his current-day counterparts. But I guess there should be no surprise in finding a lack of aesthetic sense in these guys who don't even know how to wear their pants.

And I don't mind no. 0 at all (for a non-pitcher). It's just a normal digit that should be available on all teams, and not just for guys with an O initial (Al Oliver, Oddibe McDowell, etc.). It would look better on a Yankee jersey than the high numbers do. Indeed, the Yankees of all teams should welcome no. 0, now that they're otherwise out of single digits.

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

Some team had a policy of no player taking a number that was more than 9 away from any other player's number, and I think that can be a good idea. I always thought that Manny just looked more like a mercenary, solo hired gun than an actual member of the team. 

I dont think it should be a rule (at the pro level at least) because these guys are professionals who are building brands for themselves and a number can be a part of that, but I get it and wouldn't be opposed to some teams doing it. 

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

1 hour ago, kroywen said:

I'm fairly certain the Yankees have banned the use of zero as a number. Which I'm perfectly fine with, FWIW. It's a bit gimmicky.

Maybe it wouldn't be so bad if they didn't retire so many numbers. What looks more gimmicky, a guy wearing 0 or having your starting RF wearing 99 and your starting pitcher wear 85?

I think 57 and 85 are way less attention-grabbing than 0. 0 is the epitome of "look at me!" It's a gimmick. 85 just looks like a 40-man roster guy on a brief major league call up.

I'm not the biggest fan of Aaron Judge wearing 99, but I don't think it's terribly attention-grabbing. 

I'll give you 99 - there's definitely some attention seeking in those obscure numbers.  Some of the others - 85?  I have no idea, but I'd bet that there's at least some significance to it.  Seems kind of random, vs 99 which just has that stigma associated with it.

It does send a subliminal message when the team is all lined up and everyone is between 2 - 55, and then there's a guy off to the side wearing 99.  As a manager, I wouldn't like that. 

As a player, I get it because if I make it, the marketing possibilities off of 99 are huge, plus it's portable - when I leave as  FA, I'll be able to take it with me without worrying that someone on my new team already has it.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I've read some folks keep the large numbers because that was the number they had when they arrived to the big show.  I recall Orel Hershiser saying that's why he kept 55.  Barry Zito stated he chose 75 because he knew that if he ever changed teams, 75 would must likely be available...unlike, say, 15, 32, or even 44.

jersey-signature03.pngjersey-signature04.png

• 3 months later...

Rick White wore #00. 

http://media.gettyimages.com/photos/pittsburgh-pirates-pitcher-rick-white-in-action-against-the-atlanta-picture-id120937621

On 9/11/2016 at 4:13 AM, cmm said:

Hahahahaha, this truly is Yankee-calibre pedantry. All we need now is a Cesarano treatise on it.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

28 minutes ago, the admiral said:

Rick White wore #00. 

http://media.gettyimages.com/photos/pittsburgh-pirates-pitcher-rick-white-in-action-against-the-atlanta-picture-id120937621

Hahahahaha, this truly is Yankee-calibre pedantry. All we need now is a Cesarano treatise on it.

Speaking of #0 and #00, turning to the Red Sox, back in 1985, the late PA announcer Sherm Feller introduced two Toronto Blue Jays who wore those two numbers (#0 belonged to Al Oliver, #00 to Cliff Johnson), and the two aforementioned players were introduced by Feller as "Nothin'" and "Double nothin'", resepctively. :D

UBwef0L.png

Archived