What can BROWN do for you?!

tBBP

Anyone who didn't see this one coming just really ain't have they eyes in too good...

Here I is...here I go, yet again!

For those who missed the first one, here it go right 'chea...

So, what CAN brown do for you? Well, first, read below to find out how it came about.

In 1907, 19-year-old Jim Casey founded the American Messenger Company in Seattle, Washington with $100 borrowed from a friend. In 1913, Jim Casey and Evert McCabe agreed to merge. Merchants Parcel Delivery was formed and focused on packages. In 1919, the company expanded beyond Seattle and changed their name to United Parcel Service.

1913: The first delivery car appeared, a Model T Ford. Merged with a competitor, Evert McCabe, and formed Merchants Parcel Delivery. Consolidated delivery was also introduced, combining packages addressed to a certain neighborhood onto one delivery vehicle.

1918: A new member was recruited, Charles W. Soderstrom, who helped manage their ever-growing fleet of delivery vehicles.

1919: Service expanded into Oakland, California. The name United Parcel Service was adopted.

1930: A consolidated service began in New York, and soon after began operations in other major cities in the east and midwest. First mechanical system for package sorting. Accountant George D. Smith joined the company. The name United Parcel Service was adopted all over the country. All UPS vehicles were then painted the familiar Pullman brown, chosen because it is neat, dignified, and professional.

1940?1959: Services were expanded by acquiring "common carrier" rights to deliver packages between all addresses, any customer, private and commercial.

UPS Boat on Canal Grande, Venice, Italy1945: The Blue Air Label began service in Toronto, Canada (YYZ).

1952: Blue Label Air

1975: UPS began servicing all of the 48 contiguous states of the USA.

1976: UPS established itself in Europe with a domestic operation in West Germany. Blue Label Air.

1982: UPS Next-Day Air Service is offered in the US and Blue Label Air becomes UPS 2nd Day Air Service.

August 28, 2007: Marks the 100th anniversary of the United Parcel Service.

UPS's Political Action Committee has been the most generous corporate giver to federal candidates for every U.S. election since 1992, donating a total of $14 million through December 31, 2005 according to Federal Election Commission records.

On October 3, 2005, UPS in the United Kingdom completed the purchase of LYNX Express Ltd, one of the UK's largest independent parcel carriers, for £55.5 million (US$97.1 million) after having received approval for the transaction from the European Commission. The first joint package car centre operation, in Dartford, east London, was opened during mid-2006. Dartford Centre carries the SLIC GB1330.

UPS also recently partnered with competitor USPS in offering UPS Mail Innovations, a program that allows UPS to pick up mail and transfer it to a USPS center for final distribution. [1]

On April 20, 2006, UPS reported earnings per diluted share of $0.89, up 14.1% over the previous year. Results were driven by a 9% increase in global small package volume or 1.24 million packages per day, outpacing worldwide market growth.

This history lesson comes courtesy of Wikipedia.org.

Okay, on to the concept now...

By now anyone with observant eyes has by now no doubt witnessed the re-branding that UPS has gone through. The new look? Well...I actually kinda like it. For all intents and purposes, UPS is really kinda only going with two colors now--their famous brown and this new golden yellow (the vegas-shade gold is still in use, though). I axed the use of that gold (didn't wanna use too many). That famous UPS, of course, is on the helmet (brown, of course). The primary home jersey is, again, brown, but the pants are white. I resisted the urge to "brown out" the set--at least the primary set, anyway. The numbers are done in UPS's new font (I'm sure JP22 can identify it...I wonder if anyone else on here knows what it is!). I was a little stuck on how to pull off the pants striping, so I thought to how those reflective stripes look on the UPS drivers' uniform jackets, and then kinda stole a page from my AFL Concept Series and used the UPS airline livery and fused those two together to create the pants striping on the white pants (that "Toronto Raptor" look is something I've grown to like, if by now you can't tell). The road set? White-on-white, which I think looks kinda nice considering the colors that are on it--brown and golden yellow. Now the alternate home set? HERE'S YOUR BROWN-ON-BROWN HERE. The second road set also includes those brown pants. And as for the 3rd/alt, I really only saw one sensible way to go: golden yellow jersey over brown pants.

But, enough talking and yakking...here it is, in visual form!

UPS.png

C&C...let me have it!

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

The pants need to be much, much shorter. :D

I normally like the white facemask look, but I think brown would fit in better with this concept. Other than that, this is really good.

#CHOMPCHOMPCHOMP

I'm diggin' it, Bucco. This is a pretty cool looking set. Normally people see a double blue (Dallas Mavericks come to mind) but here, the double brown looks pretty sweet, though I'm not sure if that's a really light brown or a gold. Either way, these are sharp. The helmets are nice too, I like the fact that the facemask is white, but maybe doing the facemask in that lighter brown/gold would work too. This concept sorta reminds me of the Saints, hell, I'd buy one of these if UPS ever decided to leave the shipping business and field a football team.

-E.A.R.

A Rhode Island-based school called, they want their uniforms back.

All kidding aside, this really looks good, be it for UPS, or if said school mooched the idea for their own.

Why would they? Brown University is brown and red, not brown and gold.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

The lighter shade is very close to the gold I wish the Saints would go back to. On my monitor, though, the darker shade looks like black. Is it black or brown? Overall, great work as usual. They're very plain, but that fits the corporate personality perfectly.

BTW, I'm a public safety dispatcher for a city outside Atlanta. One of our reserve police officers - who often works a 12-hour night shift and serves without pay - is a UPS retiree who has an interesting biography:

"ATLANTA, Dec. 3, 2002 - Ronald G. Wallace, a long-time executive of UPS (NYSE:UPS) who for the past five years has driven the growth of UPS's international package operations, today announced his retirement...Wallace, 58, began his UPS career in 1966 as a delivery driver in Idaho. He served as the head of UPS's North German District for six years and then president of UPS Canada for three years. In addition to directing UPS's international operations, Wallace participates in several global trade organizations..."

He was President of UPS' International Division. He must enjoy police work 'cause he sure doesn't need the money. He helped get UPS into auto racing and as a retirement present they gave him one of these:

Dale%20Jarrett%2088%20UPS%202001.jpg

A real one. :shocked:

Back to the uni's, a nice finishing touch would have been a package under one arm. If the template had an arm. :D

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

Back to the uni's, a nice finishing touch would have been a package under one arm. If the template had an arm.

You ain't right for that one...

The pants need to be much, much shorter.

You ain't right either.

I may go back one day and test out a "throwback" uniform with the old bowtie logo (I started to do that when I was putting this together--which, by the way, is even older than my FedEx one)...but then my portfolio show came up, then our graduation party (even though we don't walk until April), and then other things, then my new job, and--I just don't get as much playtime for these anymore. (Someone wanna donate me a Mac for my house?? :grin: )

The Font is called Dax. I don't think it is completely exact as UPS did a little modifying.

You win this ---> :trophy: ...along with the distinction of having been the first person to answer that correctly. And yes--it is modified a good bit. (It is SO nice to have a pirated font pack in my possession!!!) :therock:

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

A Rhode Island-based school called, they want their uniforms back.

All kidding aside, this really looks good, be it for UPS, or if said school mooched the idea for their own.

Why would they? Brown University is brown and red, not brown and gold.
OK, this is part a reference to a sign once placed at a Penn/Brown basketball game at the Palestra, which said "UPS WANTS THEIR UNIFORMS BACK".

LvZYtbZ.png

heh, evidently brown's done a lot for the homeboy bucco B. I know one thing, the package idea woulda been fitting. just so happens one of my cousins down south used to work for UPS a while back...ironically, she lives in Memphis. meanwhile, the pants, I notice, resemble basketball shorts.

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

yeah. UPS got in a heap of trouble for modifying dax and claiming it to be their own proptietary font. a$$holes. on top of that, they got rid of one of the best corporate logos of all time for a gradient happy piece of trendy trash. all it really needed was a functional update. i don't think they realize that paul rand logos don't go out of style, and are much better than the generic logos made by futurebrand and other huge design conglomerates. see IBM (1950s), westinghouse (1960s), ABC (1960s), etc.

r.i.p. UPS logo (1961-2004)

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

heh, evidently brown's done a lot for the homeboy bucco B. I know one thing, the package idea woulda been fitting. just so happens one of my cousins down south used to work for UPS a while back...ironically, she lives in Memphis. meanwhile, the pants, I notice, resemble basketball shorts.

Yeah, they do.

Think you missed something in my intro bruh...but that ain't no shot or nothing. I believe this is the third different concept I've posted with that "Toronto Raptoresque" back panel to it (that actually got its start with a concept for a fantasy league team I did a LONG, LONG time ago...maybe I'll post those someday). It's grown on me.

As for that former UPS logo, Temp, I get your point. And I agree. That old logo was very functional, and, after digging through research for this project, I came across all kinds of people and blog entries and whatnot about how many people despise this new logo. (Also, I do remember the fallout from UPS' claim of their version of Dax being their own proprietary font--that was one funny shakedown there.)

I do believe the pressure's on to formulate a "nostalgic" concept featuring Paul Rand's bowtie logo...check back soon.

Here's a story from my old stomping grounds at American Airlines. If memory serves, this is described in the book Eagle by Robert Serling. I share it here since it relates to changing a popular logo. When American updated its look in 1968, they stylized the Eagle logo. The designer wanted to eliminate the eagle altogether, going with the simple block letters saying "AA," but AA execs weren't sure and wanted an opinion from a company that had recently made such a change. They called Mobil, which had done away with the famous flying horse. Mobil's response? From employees' and customers' reactions, "...when we got rid of that damn horse you'd have thought we just shot Christ!" So American kept the Eagle. :P

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

Since I wear that same brown everyday, I guess I would almost be required to comment...

Brown, white, black, and the yellow in the logo are the only acceptable colors here. I do not like the yellow, for no other reason than it wouldnt happen(like we're talking about something realistic anyway, right?). The reason I say "acceptable", is because ups is very strict on the uniform, and it's very important to the company to be consistent. For example: technically, our undershirts can be black, white, or brown. Socks can only be brown. Hell, we cant even wear "fashion" ups hats or ups hats that you can buy from the ups catalog. It's gotta be one of those :censored:ty hats that they issue to us for free.

Anyway, what I'm getting at is that the yellow should only be used as a "complimentary" color in these. Much like you used it in the homes and aways(minus the socks in away 1). So you did a good job.

I think the socks on the Away 2 are the best of all, and some variation of those, would be ideal for all of the jerseys.

Oh, and your number font is perfect.

SigReflect.png

Since I wear that same brown everyday, I guess I would almost be required to comment...

Brown, white, black, and the yellow in the logo are the only acceptable colors here. I do not like the yellow, for no other reason than it wouldnt happen(like we're talking about something realistic anyway, right?). The reason I say "acceptable", is because ups is very strict on the uniform, and it's very important to the company to be consistent. For example: technically, our undershirts can be black, white, or brown. Socks can only be brown. Hell, we cant even wear "fashion" ups hats or ups hats that you can buy from the ups catalog. It's gotta be one of those :censored:ty hats that they issue to us for free.

Anyway, what I'm getting at is that the yellow should only be used as a "complimentary" color in these. Much like you used it in the homes and aways(minus the socks in away 1). So you did a good job.

I think the socks on the Away 2 are the best of all, and some variation of those, would be ideal for all of the jerseys.

Oh, and your number font is perfect.

The things you find out by doing these kinds of concepts...

So...Mr. Shoop is a "ups" man, eh? Delivery driver, no? And yes--I am VERY AWARE of UPS's strict dress code. I worked hand-in-hand with a lot of the "brownboys" at Pittsburgh International Airport while I was working for Delta Air Lines Global Services (some of you might know it better as DGS), which also (in accordance with Delta Air Lines) has a very strict dress code. Plus, I'm a E-5 in the Army Reserve (bet a bunch of y'all ain't know that)...so you KNOW I know all about that homebwoi!!! (By the way...any new news on your SF Bulls uniform proposals or that black bull on the helmets?)

Then comes skyaa1's story about the American logo--one of which I never knew. (I DO know there was a BIG-TIME STINK raised when Delta made changes to the widgets halfway through the 90s--the rounded version. The widgets are more--properly--triangular now.)

By the way, I sho 'preciate all y'all who done commented thus far.

Next concept to come soon...although right now I also don't know which one I wanna throw up...

Whatchy'all think???

great job. looks very well done. at first i didnt like the colors on the football team. but then i thought about it. brown, old gold (saints), and white looks pretty good. look for a concept with that. staying with you concept. i didnt really like the gold alt. but it grew on me. once again amazing work. i might be starting a concept section like this. on drinks like beer, soda, and engry drinks.

teams.gif

Someone be a World Champ, please!

Fantasy Football Keeper League.....PM me if you want to join!!

Archived