The World's Most Ridiculous Non-Winning/Discarded Sports Team Names

totc

As a companion to The World's Most Ridiculous Sports Team Names thread, always know that things could have been worse.

The San Jose Sharks could have been The San Jose Yodeling Yams.

The Chicago Red Stars (it hasn't won yet, but I sense a groundswell) of WPS could have been The Chicago Stinking Onions.

The Michigan Panthers of the USFL could have been The Detroit Rens (short for Renaissance).

I didn't particularly go for the WNBA Atlanta Dream, but it could have been the Sizzle (a name only Snoop Doggy D-o-double-gizzle could love).

The Lehigh Valley IronPigs is awful, but the Phantastics would have been infinitely worse.

Box lacrosse team Boston Blazers could have had the name Chowder Heads, Wicked Pissah Pythons, and Tea Party.

And of course, MLS's central teams could have sounded like a bad trip to the proctologist (Wiz, Burn).

Any other "could be worse" moments that you know of?

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply
And of course, MLS's central teams could have sounded like a bad trip to the proctologist (Wiz, Burn).

I think you mean "did," not "could have."

I'll add Rocky Mountain Extreme (or what is "Xtreme") instead of the Colorado Avalanche.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

I seem to recall that one of the suggested names for the original Peoria Pirates was the Peoria Jolly Ranchers.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Philadelphia Liberty Bells won the name-the-team contest for the city's new hockey club in 1967.

Flyers was selected by the ownership for its less-suckiness.

Kinda has a "we are the members of the All-American League, we come from cities near or far" ring to it.

The Dallas Stars were considering being the Dallas Lone Stars

Right, except that would have been a better name. I still don't understand how the North Stars didn't become the Lone Stars. Would have taken a little of the burn off the anger for me if Norm Green had done more than just lop the word "North" off the team name when he skipped town.

Wasn't there a public vote when the Devil Rays were being organized? I can't find the list, but I seem to recall there being some howlingly bad names on the list -- including, of course, the name eventually chosen.

20082614447.png

The Dallas Stars were considering being the Dallas Lone Stars

Right, except that would have been a better name. I still don't understand how the North Stars didn't become the Lone Stars. Would have taken a little of the burn off the anger for me if Norm Green had done more than just lop the word "North" off the team name when he skipped town.

Wasn't there a public vote when the Devil Rays were being organized? I can't find the list, but I seem to recall there being some howlingly bad names on the list -- including, of course, the name eventually chosen.

I will say this, it would be funny for a team called the "LONE" starS to be plural.

I actually like Dallas Lone Stars more than Dallas Stars. The plural thing isn't an issue with me. If two people dress up as Lone Star from Spaceballs for Halloween, then they are Lone Stars (plural).

Anyways, among other things, the Mets could've been named the NYBs.

Philadelphia Liberty Bells won the name-the-team contest for the city's new hockey club in 1967.

Flyers was selected by the ownership for its less-suckiness.

Kinda has a "we are the members of the All-American League, we come from cities near or far" ring to it.

The Philadelphia Liberty Belles once won a championship in the alphabet-soup world of women's tackle football leagues.

The Houston Texans had these names trademarked, so they considered them:

Houston Texians

Houston Hurricanes

Houston Wildcatters

Houston Roughnecks

Houston Stallions

Houston Stormcats

Houston Wildcats

Houston Challengers

Houston Apollos

Houston Toros

Houston Wranglers

Houston Roustabouts

Houston Colt 45's

Houston Energy

Houston Bobcats

Houston Roughriders

Speaking of Houston, when the Oilers moved to Tennessee, they trademarked these:

Tennessee Vipers

Tennessee Tornados

Tennessee Pioneers

Tennessee Tradition

Tennessee Fury

Tennessee Wolves

Tennessee Commanders

Tennessee Presidents

Anyways, among other things, the Mets could've been named the NYBs.

I remember reading that, in the vote of the Board of Directors of the New York National League expansion team, the name "Mets" beat the name "Skyliners" by only one vote.

Interesting. I thought I read somewhere that Shea's Continental League team in New York was to have taken the Metropolitans name. But at the moment I cannot find any source for any proposed nickname for the CL cities.

20082614447.png

OK, more ...

In the '95 NFL expansion, these names were considered:

Baltimore (they eventually picked Bombers):

Bees

Rhinos

Claws

Cobras

Ravens

Jacksonville (Jaguars)

Sharks

Carolina (Panthers)

Spiders

Rhinos

St. Louis (Stallions)

Rivermen

Archers

Stokers

Scouts

Memphis (Hound Dogs)

Bandits

Rivermen

Houndogs

Bombers

Showboats.

In addition, these were trademarked for the WLAF, when it debuted, but never used:

Rogues

Daredevils

Marauders

Pioneers

Waves

Alamos.

... OK, I'll stop.

There was the whole Houston 1836 debacle. I wanted to see the team called Lonestar Houston.

I have a feeling that WPS' franchise in the Windy City will be called Red Star Chicago (at which point the Polish population will freak at a reference to a Yugoslav/Serb team).

Oh, and the original name of The New York Red Bulls was "Red Bull New York." It still is reflected on their corporate logo.

- The Dallas Texans were almost the "Kansas City Texans", which would have made no sense. Then they wised up and named them the Chiefs after KC Mayor H. Roe Bartel who's nickname was "Chief".

- The Kansas City Scouts wanted to be known as the Kansas City Mo-Hawks. But the Chicago Blackhawks had difficulties with that.

- Denver/Rocky Mountain/Colorado Black Bears I think was another possible name for the Colorado Avalanche.

- The Topeka Tarantulas (defunct) of the CHL wanted to be name the Topeka Toros. But the CHL rejected the name and suggested "Tomcats". The team selected Tarantulas and made there fans vomit.

The Houston Texans had these names trademarked, so they considered them:

Houston Colt 45's

Houston Energy

Are you sure about these two? The Colt .45s are part of the history of the Astros, and I think MLB still has them under license of The Cooperstown Collection.

Also, the Energy is a women's tackle football team -- a championship-winning tackle football team, even! Heavens to mergatroid!

"© 2005 Houston Energy. All Rights Reserved

The Houston Energy Logo design is a registered trademark of the Women's Professional Football League (WPFL). The team names, logos and uniform designs are registered trademarks of the teams indicated. No portion of this site may be reproduced without the express written permission of the WPFL or the Houston Energy Football Organization. All Rights Reserved."

Archived