Trying to update the shooting star Stros.

The_Admiral

Came up a while ago that if the Astros were to revisit any look, it would be the old orange and blue Larry Dierker uniforms, but the shooting star above "Astros" (and altogether absent from "Houston") looked really chintzy and couldn't come back today without retooling, so I essayed to do just that. I went with tangerine and midnight blue even though my heart said to do dark red and orange so as to match a Rockets concept I had been batting around in my head, but it never looked quite right on grey, which is always key. Something about the slanted, arched drop-shadow gives me kind of a Space Age vibe, but maybe that's just me.

astroswhite2.jpg

astrosgrey2.jpg

astroshat3.jpg

Haven't dreamed up a uniform yet, but I can't imagine it being too complicated. Probably drop-shadowed orange numbers, same style as the old Lakers?

EDIT: I made the shooting star a little more shadowed, and I made the H a little smaller (though it can't be as small as it used to be, that was a flaw of the old set.)

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

houstonhome.png

houstonroad.png

They don't look too much like Baltimore, do they? I feel like they should have primary orange to themselves, and midnight blue is close to black.

Oh. It isn't by design. I have no concept, if you'll pardon the expression, of where the tuck-in point would be on this template.

This looks really nice. At first I wasn't crazy about the orange caps, but it would definitely be unique (the last thing the MLB needs is another navy cap).

I love the scripts, especially the drop shadow. I would echo the drop shadow of the script in the star, or at least thicken the blue outline, and have the orange outline change in weight from thin to thick from the tail to the star to make it a bit more dynamic(if that makes sense).

Nice work.

Badger_zps8961c467.png

The font is just plain old Placard Condensed. I didn't think it was too old or too new. It's a really versatile, vanilla font. There's supposed to be a neo-retro feel to it; does it just look dated instead?

I just wanted the shooting star on the sleeve. Keeps things relatively clean while still having something going on for the people who need sleeve patches.

I'm not even 100% sold on that hat. It looks too static while everything else is dynamic, being all slanted, skewed, and shadowed as they are. I wanted to stay true to the old uniforms, but it might be out of place. Is this more in line without being too busy?

astroshat2.jpg

I would try making the 'H' a bit smaller, the star gets kind of lost as is.

duly noted.

I would echo the drop shadow of the script in the star, or at least thicken the blue outline, and have the orange outline change in weight from thin to thick from the tail to the star to make it a bit more dynamic(if that makes sense).

Tried to do this a little bit as best I could.

I would love to see the shooting star below the lettering on the front of the jersey. I just don't feel it working above it.

I tried it and didn't feel it that way. Too "The More You Know." Besides, a shooting star should be up high, right?

Couple more variations on the theme:

astrosorange.jpg

Possible BP/ST script or maybe a home alt. I suppose the H-Star could work on BP/ST jerseys too.

astrosbpst.jpg

BP/ST hat. Couldn't picture orange hats with orange shirts, so it'd be a navy cap. Tried to do another spin on the H and shooting star rather than a simple palette swap. Could this work as the primary hat?

astrosjackets.jpg

Dugout jacket script. No shooting star, because trying to add that separator just makes it look too slight and thin.

houstonhome.png

houstonroad.png

They don't look too much like Baltimore, do they? I feel like they should have primary orange to themselves, and midnight blue is close to black.

If people can't read that's their fault! Great combination and simplicity. I thought the navy/gold era was great but this would be a great ode to the old but changing it up enough. I never understood the changing of the colors so drastically because the orange and blue is a good combo, hopefully the new owner will think so as well.

The curvature of the wordmark really lends itself to including front numbers.

True, but I don't like front numbers, so I didn't use them. Besides, the shooting star sort of functions as the "second element" of the jersey front the way the tomahawk or the birds-on-bat do, and so a third element is just too cluttered for me. As long as they're on the back, it's fine enough.

• 1 month later...

Thanks to DAHOF's template, I was able to see these in virtual action. No more navy belts or shoes; I went with orange everything because hey, go all out.

astroshome.pngastrosroadcopy.png

• 4 months later...

I like Orange as their primary. They look a bit like baltimore from the midnight blue trim. I'd lighten the blue a little, might even try a steel blue to steer clear of looking like the Mets :)

steel blue:

HTML: 164c96

RGB: 22-76-150

HSV: 215-85-59

Orange

HTML: e05513

RGB: 224-85-19

HSV: 19-92-88

Or if that orange is makes it pop too much you could try: (HTML) e9733a

I'm interested in seeing:

Orange, Steel Blue, Midnight Blue and White.

And

Orange, Steel Blue and White.

Archived