2014-5 NBA Season Thread: We Are North American Ballerz

buzzcut

I haven't followed the NBA this year (or ever really), but I just checked the standings and I like how so many historically awful franchises are running the show this year.

PvO6ZWJ.png

• Replies 671
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I haven't followed the NBA this year (or ever really), but I just checked the standings and I like how so many historically awful franchises are running the show this year.

It's wide open between them, too. Warriors, Grizzlies, Hawks, Cavaliers, they all have great chances at winning the whole thing.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

It's wide open between them, too. Warriors, Grizzlies, Hawks, Cavaliers, they all have great chances at winning the whole thing.

Which means that the Spurs will probably win it again.

2nn48xofg0hms8k326cqdmuis.gifUnited States (2016 - Pres)7204.gif144.gif

The last time the Spurs were supposed to buzzsaw through the rest of the league, they lost in the WCF to the Thunder.

I think we're likely to see LeBron in his fifth straight Finals -- which is amazing -- and who knows what out of the West. I think San Antonio and Golden State are the clear favorites, but I wouldn't be surprised to Memphis figure out how to play basketball again.

Not so sure about Houston, Portland, or LA, but that's kind of the fun of this year's playoffs -- you really don't know.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

The last time the Spurs were supposed to buzzsaw through the rest of the league, they lost in the WCF to the Thunder.

I think we're likely to see LeBron in his fifth straight Finals -- which is amazing -- and who knows what out of the West. I think San Antonio and Golden State are the clear favorites, but I wouldn't be surprised to Memphis figure out how to play basketball again.

Not so sure about Houston, Portland, or LA, but that's kind of the fun of this year's playoffs -- you really don't know.

I like Houston, Portland, and even Dallas's chances to get to the Finals. They'll likely face the Atlanta/Cleveland inevitable winner out of the East.

I don't think the Spurs will get there, last year was the first time they ever made back-to-back Finals, and the team is older, they may not have it in them again.

File:Virginia Tech Hokies logo.svg

Warriors (64-15) hosts the Timberwolves (16-63) tonight. Thoughts on the game tonight, with the Warriors going for their sixteenth consecutive home win, and 37th home win of the season.

- How long do the T'Wolves hang with Golden State?

- How long Do the starters play?

- Do the Warriors clip Denver's 186 mark?

How the long the Wolves hang with the Warriors depends on how long the Warriors starters plays, but it could be a long night for Minnesota. If the Warriors starters play the whole game they'll have a chance at the 186 mark, but if the make it to and/or past 186, I'm gonna go buy me 100 lottery tickets. :D

But no one is expecting the Spurs to buzzsaw through the NBA this year.

I just having this feeling that people are jinxing it (I know this is dumb and irrational) by hyping up how open the NBA is this year.

2nn48xofg0hms8k326cqdmuis.gifUnited States (2016 - Pres)7204.gif144.gif

Either way, I don't see a Spurs title as being bad for the league. I think success is measured differently in the NBA, due to individual players having so much more impact on their teams than in other sports. It's why since, really, NBA Russell/Chamberlain, legacies aren't measured solely by stats or great play, but by championships.

Baseball has its stats, and the crest of football is generally winning a single Super Bowl, while in the NBA it's not if but how many. It's why Patrick Ewing and Charles Barkley will always be second-fiddle to Hakeem Olajuwan and Dirk Nowitzki. And why those two aren't as esteemed as Shaq and Tim Duncan.

The NBA went from Lakers to Celtics to Lakers to Bulls to Lakers again to a combo of Spurs/Lakers/Heat/others, and I think it's cool to watch that story be told. So I'm totally on-board for title six for the Spurs, or title three for LeBron.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Was finally able to catch a Clippers game last night and it was a big one. They had a big lead over Memphis in the third and almost gave it all back early in the fourth because they couldn't hit a shot to save their lives. Thankfully they pulled out the win and jumped up to second place in the west with two games left.

It's going to be interesting these next couple of days because there are like five teams going for that spot. I'm hoping LA can finish strong going into the playoffs because they looked Way out of rhythm in that second half.

The Knicks won at Atlanta, blowing the top spot in the lottery ^_^

1 Minnesota 16-65 - OKC

2 New York 17-64 - DET

3 Philadelphia 18-63 - MIA

4 LA Lakers

5 Orlando

6 Sacramento

7 Denver 30-50 - @LAC, @GS

8 Detroit 31-50 - @NY

9 Charlotte

10 Miami 36-45 - @PHI

11 Atlanta (BKN) 37-44 - ORL

12 Utah 38-43 - @HOU

13 Phoenix 39-42 - LAC

14 (whoever misses the playoffs between OKC and New Orleans)

---------

15 Indiana 37-43 - WSH, @MEM

Anyone remember that guy who thought the Hornacats were going to be the first seed in the East? He really shouldn't have set his expectations too high.

The Knicks won at Atlanta, blowing the top spot in the lottery ^_^

Not that it really matters, since are no clear cut #1 guys in this draft and NY's roster is absolutely barren.

Speaking of Atlanta, I can't help but laugh at how they have the 2nd best record and the league and they're going to be able to steal a possible lottery pick from Brooklyn (maybe late teens). And then Brooklyn owes my Celtics like 3 more unprotected picks after that, AND their fast building project completely failed and now they're headed back down to the conference cellar. That's definitely on par with anything Isiah did with the Knicks, maybe worse. Hopefully the Prokhorov-selling-the-team saga drags out long enough to where the Nets can't do :censored: before 2018.

It's also remarkable that the Celtics clinched a playoff spot despite being projected as a bottom-feeder coming into the season and spending most of the year as sellers, not buyers. Even if we get waxed by Cleveland, the playoff experience for Smart, Crowder et al will still be valuable.

I can't help but laugh at how they have the 2nd best record and the league and they're going to be able to steal a possible lottery pick from Brooklyn (maybe late teens). And then Brooklyn owes my Celtics like 3 more unprotected picks after that.

That's Billy King for ya. He did the same crap with the Sixers. Other than their 2nd-round pick this year, I don't think they own any of their own picks again until 2019

The Celtics are in a nice spot for Kaminsky as well, although they already have a lot of young big men (Zeller, Sullinger, and Olynyk) he'd make a nice addition.

Archived