2014-5 NBA Season Thread: We Are North American Ballerz

buzzcut

• Replies 671
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Durant shut down and will have another surgery. 4 to 6 months recovery timeline

http://www.si.com/nba/2015/03/27/oklahoma-city-thunder-kevin-durant-foot-injury-out-regular-season

We have seen his best days.

Yikes. Boy was it stupid to trade Harden a couple years ago, right? NBA championship windows close almost as soon as they open, and the Thunder blew it. They lucked into a good, young nucleus and will penny pinch themselves out of relevancy very quickly.

If they won't pay a luxury tax for a title -- like they should have done with Harden -- they're definitely not offering max dollars next year to a broken Durant. Washington, New York and LA probably would though.

I'm not sympathetic to OKC, but as a basketball fan, I do feel cheated out of a special run (that I would have bitched about incessantly).

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Legendary Utah Jazz play-by-play man "Hot" Rod Hundley passed away, at the age of 80.

http://fox13now.com/2015/03/27/hot-rod-hundley-dies-at-80/

Just barely saw this on Facebook. Some of my fondest memories as a kid was listening to Hot Rod and Ron Boone on KJZZ TV. He was a thrill to listen to as a kid, because he would get excited about everything - a great assist, a deep three, a block, anything and everything. He had a great "broadcaster gift" of making the listener feel like the Jazz always had a shot to win no matter the circumstances; I remember games where we'd be down by 20 and he'd still call it like it was neck-and-neck, so it was hard to turn the game off because you'd think "shoot, if Hot Rod's still into this and believing, I should be, too." And of course, last but not least, he was the essential voice of "Stockton to Malone" all those years. That alone goes to show how significant he is to Jazz history, if you ask me.

RIP, old friend. Thanks for the many great memories.

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

Legendary Utah Jazz play-by-play man "Hot" Rod Hundley passed away, at the age of 80.

Just barely saw this on Facebook. Some of my fondest memories as a kid was listening to Hot Rod and Ron Boone on KJZZ TV. He was a thrill to listen to as a kid, because he would get excited about everything - a great assist, a deep three, a block, anything and everything. He had a great "broadcaster gift" of making the listener feel like the Jazz always had a shot to win no matter the circumstances; I remember games where we'd be down by 20 and he'd still call it like it was neck-and-neck, so it was hard to turn the game off because you'd think "shoot, if Hot Rod's still into this and believing, I should be, too." And of course, last but not least, he was the essential voice of "Stockton to Malone" all those years. That alone goes to show how significant he is to Jazz history, if you ask me.

RIP, old friend. Thanks for the many great memories.

So sad to hear. Not ever heard of Hot Rod's voice described as that. I've missed Hot Rod for a long time, especially when the Jazz have these guys calling the games...

harpring-kid.gif

:/

Durant shut down and will have another surgery. 4 to 6 months recovery timeline

http://www.si.com/nba/2015/03/27/oklahoma-city-thunder-kevin-durant-foot-injury-out-regular-season

We have seen his best days.

Yikes. Boy was it stupid to trade Harden a couple years ago, right? NBA championship windows close almost as soon as they open, and the Thunder blew it. They lucked into a good, young nucleus and will penny pinch themselves out of relevancy very quickly.

If they won't pay a luxury tax for a title -- like they should have done with Harden -- they're definitely not offering max dollars next year to a broken Durant. Washington, New York and LA probably would though.

I'm not sympathetic to OKC, but as a basketball fan, I do feel cheated out of a special run (that I would have bitched about incessantly).

They've still Westbrook as a building block. As long as you've got him, anything is possible if you add the right complimentary pieces.

sig.png

I think we're seeing that for as great as Westbrook is, he isn't the same type of building block James Harden is. They've essentially had the same challenge this year: be THE guy without the expected sidekick superstar at your side. The Rockets have been amazing, while the Thunder have spent most of the season fighting for eighth place.

In any event, the days of one superstar teams --inasmuch as they ever existed -- are over. You need two or three guys to be competitive. And based on OKC's spending past, I'm not sure who of the upcoming free agents decides to 1) take a risk on a team that has demonstrated an inability to invest in a winner and 2) live in Oklahoma.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

I think we're seeing that for as great as Westbrook is, he isn't the same type of building block James Harden is. They've essentially had the same challenge this year: be THE guy without the expected sidekick superstar at your side. The Rockets have been amazing, while the Thunder have spent most of the season fighting for eighth place.

In any event, the days of one superstar teams --inasmuch as they ever existed -- are over. You need two or three guys to be competitive. And based on OKC's spending past, I'm not sure who of the upcoming free agents decides to 1) take a risk on a team that has demonstrated an inability to invest in a winner and 2) live in Oklahoma.

OKC ownership is paying the luxury tax this year and will next year if they keep Kanter.

Sam Presti also messed around for 2.5 seasons with Kendrick Perkins and did not use the Amnesty provision (which they still have and only Durant is eligible for). They paid him most of they $25M, shipped him off to Utah, who immediately bought out the last part of the contract.

Plus, there is a need to really question the credentials of the OKC medical staff. Remember in 2009, Tyson Chandler failed their physical thus canceling the trade with New Orleans. But he passed a physical in an offseason trade to Charlotte, Dallas (twice), and NYK.

So apparently, the NBA has rules that dictate that teams must take a timeout at certain points of the game. I assume part of it is to ensure that X-number of media timeouts are granted per quarter, but I found this to be odd when I first heard about this.

It's just a commercial break. But instead of calling it that, they charge a timeout to the team. NBA teams already have way too many timeouts as it is, so forcing them to use one is not something I have a problem with.

If I remember it right:

Each team starts with 7 timeouts. Each team has to use one in both the first and second quarter. I believe each team has to use a timeout in the third and fourth quarters as well. And you get three other timeouts to use whenever (usually towards the end of a half or game).

If you've burned all your timeouts before your required timeouts have been used, you're granted an extra timeout but at the expense of a technical foul (like the Chris Webber championship game miscue).

They should really just be media timeouts.

I think reducing timeouts is a good idea, but when the prevailing wisdom is that you really only need to watch the last 5 minutes of most competitive NBA games, then the advertisers are going to want as many stoppages in that span as possible.

Yea but getting back from a timeout only to have the other team call a timeout should be banned. So what if you don't like what the other team came up with after the timeout, coach on the fly like your paid to!!! You had all this timeout to figure it out.

The worst rule is that you can call timeout while the ball is in play. No other sport does this. Imagine a QB seeing that none of his receivers are open and calling timeout to escape being sacked. Yet any point guard can call timeout as he's lying on the floor being double teamed, as long as he's holding the ball. Ridiculous rule.

The Jazz are having a little more April Fool's fun during the Jazz-Nuggets broadcast. Craig Bolerjack reported some "breaking news" that the Jazz hired Greg Ostertag to be "Rudy Gobert's new ball-handling coach". They also reported that Chris Paul was out indefinitely with a "lower body sprain" suffered from Steph Curry's crossover last night. And of course earlier in the day they announced the adoption of those "three-quarter shorts".

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

Suns/Warriors was a great game last night, but even in the last :30, there was one winner....this girl who reacted to a shot on the Dubs second to last possession.

x1aqpecjvrpfsozcfw2s2_zpsfmgc1vjx.gif

She won the week and weekend.

And the Suns miss the playoffs because of the numerous shots made in the very last second.

Archived