NFL One-Helmet Rule question

stumpygremlin

I know we've had this discussion in other threads and we're just rehashing old bits here, but every time I read this outrage over the "NFL's ridiculous one-helmet rule!!" I can't help but roll my eyes.

Look, I'm a card-carrying, uniform obsessed member of this board, too. I get it. But when you come up with these elaborate ideas about in-house helmet wrapping, or syncing up the repainting of helmets to the bye-week, you need to step back from the Chris Creamer Board world and realize how silly it all is. The reason the NFL isn't going to do that is because 99.9% of the world couldn't give a rat's ass about the fact that the NFL no longer has alternate helmets. And from the Leagues point of view, even if there's just a fraction of a percent chance that multiple helmets might contribute to concussions, that is way more than enough reason to get rid of them. And even if people are right about this being all a PR move, for the NFL that would still be enough of a reason.

Tell you what... next sunday afternoon, go to your local sports bar and wander around asking people how concerned they are about the fact that the NFL has done away with alternate helmets... it'll be hilarious.

Yup as much as I don't like the rule, I'm one of the few. And people are sounding crazy with their vinyl wraps and crazy ideas. I don't even think a vinyl wrap would work for a helmet.

The "logistics issues" and having to re-fit each helmet are a bit of a stretch.. I'm the head equipment manager at a college, and it honestly wouldn't be nearly as tough as you guys are suggesting. Firstly, you wouldn't have to fit the helmet again, especially to wrap it. The pads could stay in the helmet. And simply 'recoloring the helmet would be no big deal. I mean, Notre Dame (and I think Marshall too) repaints their helmets between every game, so it wouldn't be all that farfetched to think an nfl team could accomplish a similar feat. Also, with technology the way it is, full sized helmet decals cut specifically for each style and size of helmet could be made with throwback shell-color and logo that would be only marginally more difficult to apply than their regular team decals, which are likely replaced on a weekly basis anyway.

Why do throwbacks even exist? You got rid of the previous uniform for a reason.

Can you explain to us what Tampa Bay's reason was for getting rid of their previous beautiful set? Neither can I.

Nike.

I'd say an overall stagnant franchise on the field and in merch sales combined with the younger glazer taking over and wanting to put his stamp on the franchise. Then add nike as the new outfitter and I think you've got a perfect scenario for a gaudy modernization of a modern classic.

Archived