Atlanta Falcons - REBRAND

SplashBoogie

Thanks for the comments, slightly disappointed this one is getting roasted I was pretty happy with it. Let me go into a bit of what I was trying to do and then maybe we can gear the conversation to how I can get the logo to communicate those ideas better.

Part of the issue is that my first interaction with the Falcons logo was in Tecmo Super Bowl so in glorious 8-bit I didn't see a bird in flight--I saw a vulture. To this day I still can't quite unsee that even with the new logo. The second thing was it was interesting to me that Falcons opted to show the 'F' for Falcon when in most cases a team would glorify the city (so in this case an 'A'). The Falcons did this once in an alt logo show below and I wanted to do a somewhat updated first of that combined with the past and current logos

So the goals are

1: A Falcon clearly in flight

2: The Falcon still implies the letter F but

3. The letter A is visible and prominent

With that bit more of insight what can I do to get those ideas across better?

293.gif

tumblr_p3eoj4gyq71ufhi8uo1_1280.png

DU2NX7nW0AAhqtw.jpg

some logos don't need improving on they're timeless so you quit while you're head on this concept

Don't listen to this idiot. Nothing is untouchable and never quit while you're ahead. Sheesh. C'mon how about some constructive criticism?

I just feel this is too much on the abstract side. The floating foot streak is throwing all of this off. It's not connected to the rest of the body. It just doesn't look good.

Feel like you're over-thinking this. It's going to be really hard to mash together 3 different elements into one. It's already hard enough making an F into a Falcon. Maybe separate the A so that it is its own element like in the example you've shown, cause right now all I see in yours is the A. You make seeing the F in the Falcon even more of a stretch than it already is. You may need to rethink your goals of what you want this mark to convey. Think simpler.

Also, the font you chose for the wordmark isn't working for me. Looks cheap and unprofessional IMO.

Cardinals -- Rams -- Blues -- Tigers -- Liverpool

Check out my music!

This is a very interesting idea, but as others have said, it isn't working right now. I'm not sure if it will ever work to combine all the different elements in a great way, but I think it would be worth it to keep working.

First of all, the closed beak is an improvement.

I immediately saw the A in the logo, which probably means that it is too obvious. I think the A (like the F) should be somewhat subtle.

The foot/wrench has two major problems right now. It extends behind the bird, which makes no sense; and it is sitting on top of the wing. It looks like an engine or rocket (something) on top of the bird's wing. Also, I would angle the foot down some; notice how the original logo has it going down at a 45º angle. You don't have to mirror that, but I would at least try some different angle.

The red part in the body that becomes most of your A should have some texture to the edge. There is feather detail below it, so why not add some detail to the red portion? It would help unify the logo. You might even be able to imply the cross of the A with feather detail.

I also think there is something off about the back (tail) of the logo, but I would worry about the wing area (and maybe the head) first. I also agree with kewp80, your font choice could be much improved. Yours has too many soft curves for my liking.

award%20sig.png

Comparing your first concept to the newest one, I prefer the first one. The new one is kind of confusing to the eye with a lot going on. But keep working on it, I think the major issue you are running into is forcing the "A" in there. Especially having the "A" as a different color.

I too am surprised for some of the negative comments on this concept - I find this very innovative and interesting. A combination of eras in a way and also extremely abstract and really quite awesome. Although I couldn't honestly see this as an NFL logo as the Falcons current logo is more suitable, what you made could easily serve as a terrific high school or university level logo.

Really solid job!

I'm actually obsessed with looking at this logo because its so unique...

One thing I might add is if you made the claw on the body and the "A" the same color and did not have the extended point behind the bird, it would blend in and seem more realistic. Make the front of the claw that extends outward black as the bird, but the rest of the arm/claw on top of the bird should be red, imo. but I think you've really got a good creative grasp at an amazing concept if you make some slight changes.

I prefer the opened beak as opposed to the closed also.

very good. Of course I am loyal to current logo ( unpopular opinion). But, I like your beak, both open and closed and the whole thing is simple yet it is a logo I would be captured by for a while, if seeing it on the unis. the talon should come from behind the a, looks a bit busy the way it is.

Why is the wing going underneath the leg? And why is the leg detached from the body?? Looks really awkward.

The new concept is a billion times better than that old concept. That old concept is a hot mess.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

some logos don't need improving on they're timeless so you quit while you're head on this concept

The Falcons logo is not one of these.

SplashBoogie, I like what you're going for here. I feel as though the monochrome logos in your original post look much better than the primary logo. The primary has a bit too much going on, like the head being outlined in red but the foot in white, those elements just don't jive well.

I understand the issues people are having with the floating foot, as your logo is a little abstract. I would work on sharpening up one of the monochromes, both figuratively and literally (make your angles sharper, the beak come to a point, etc.)

Also, but the leg and foot under the wing and see how that pans out. I think you're onto something here and I'd really love to see it develop.

The Falcons logo is not one of these.

SplashBoogie, I like what you're going for here. I feel as though the monochrome logos in your original post look much better than the primary logo. The primary has a bit too much going on, like the head being outlined in red but the foot in white, those elements just don't jive well.

I understand the issues people are having with the floating foot, as your logo is a little abstract. I would work on sharpening up one of the monochromes, both figuratively and literally (make your angles sharper, the beak come to a point, etc.)

Also, but the leg and foot under the wing and see how that pans out. I think you're onto something here and I'd really love to see it develop.

I think he needs the leg and foot over the wing to create the 'A' he's trying to portray. I like the idea of that, but it does create a weird look where those piece are somehow above the wings.

I think it's possible to portray the bar of the 'A' with a motion line or some lines denoting the separation of feathers on the wing (almost exactly what is being done at the bottom on the left side of the wing can be applied farther up where the 'A' starts).

Now that's a nice update. You're definitely going in the right direction. I'm not a fan of the drop shadow and the A still looks a little wonky. Also your outlines don't look to be consistent, and I feel you have an unhealthy balance of straight and curved lines, if you know what I mean. I feel some of your straight lines could be more curved and vice versa.

Hit some of those execution areas and maybe add an eye and this could be pretty nice.

I also wouldn't mind seeing a version with the beak closed and also having the claw pointed down.

You've done a good job so far. Keep working on it and it'll get there.

Cardinals -- Rams -- Blues -- Tigers -- Liverpool

Check out my music!

B4T2jsaCcAA0GcJ.png

I'm gonna try some stuff with the claw under the wing and see if there is a way to get my three goals across. So first I'm gonna work on composition and then start tweaking the claw and colors.

This is quite an impressive update - maybe just needs a small tinker with the head and tail. But now that the A works and there's a cleverly-hidden F, it's a pretty cool logo.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Archived