NFL Timeline Infographic

pianoknight

Or the Cleveland Rams, who suspended operations and didn't play in 1943.

Or, for that matter, conflating the Browns and Ravens.

Oh, great. Now I really don't like this graphic.

I assume you are referring to the line connecting the 1996 Browns and the Ravens. I was wondering how people would react. I suppose the NFL's official stance would be to just leave a gap in Cleveland but not to acknowledge any Ravens connection.

I personally like how they handled this. It acknowledges an undeniable truth; that the Browns picked up and moved their operations to Baltimore. It also addresses the fact that the history stayed. I like how they even gradually changed the color on the vertical line. I think they actually pleased the Pro- and Anti-Cleveland Deal crowds (and as strongly as I feel in this argument, it is not my intent to rehash it here).

Of course, I am totally in agreement with the beef people have about "Boston" and "New England" being different. That is inconsistent with how they handle several other name changes and city/suburb moves.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It seems like they have the Baltimore Colts starting in 1959 rather than 1953, with no connection to the first version of the Dallas Texans.

Good eye. It also looks like they have the Patriots and Jets starting in 1959 and the rest of the original AFL teams in 1960.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

I was about to post "I thought the Rams were in Cleveland in the 30s and 40s", but then saw it upon closer look.

So the longest standing franchise in one city is current the Packers, followed by the Chicago Bears, then New York Giants, then Lions and Steelers.

Nope. The Steelers and Eagles aren't on that list. The 1933 Pittsburgh Pirates franchise is today's Philadelphia Eagles (after an aborted attempt to relocate to Boston), while the 1933 Philadelphia Eagles is today's Pittsburgh Steelers.

1259583.jpg

sig.png

Well, if we're going to get into suckage, there are stretches of that long green line that will need to be broken up. ;)

I combined the Patriots' timeline, fixed the start of the AFL clubs, included notations for the combined teams and the Rams' gap year, and made a couple of other minor corrections ("Tampa"?). Now I'm liking it again. :P

There can be some disagreement about the lineage of the Colts, so I went with the history they acknowledge. I love how that one blue line jumps around the graphic.

I'm glad NFL lineage wasn't something fans gave much thought to in the 1980s. Imagine defensive Indianapolis fans telling jilted Baltimore Colts fans that Baltimore stole the team from Dallas first, so they're no better.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Don't the New York football Yankees factor into the Colts' history?

NFL history pre-1950 is a trainwreck.

tssmd.gif

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

But what about Akron and Hershey for the Texans? *ducks and runs out of room* :D

If they had been called the Hershey Texans . . .

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

• 4 weeks later...

My god the early NFL was a clusterfluck

The part that still amazes me is the scheduling. Teams just randomly put games on the schedule and/or added them on almost no notice.

"Hello?"

"This is Bob Smith from the Rochester Jeffersons. If your team is free next Saturday, want to play a game at our place?"

Did you read what the Chicago Staleys pulled against Buffalo in 1921?

The Buffalo All-Americans got screwed Bret Hart in Montreal style

I did read that --

"That game on December 4th was an exhibition game!"

"No, it wasn't!"

Archived