PHOENIX: Redemption (Phase 3) VOTING

crashcarson15

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I really enjoyed the discussion that followed last round, so I think I will try to start it here.

I had Ohio St. It was a challenge going with a team with such an iconic look. I was really hoping I wouldn't get a team with a classic look like Notre Dame, Alabama, USC, Michigan, Texas, etc. because I felt that I couldn't do as much with them. Then I got Ohio State--the team that I dislike the most, even though I went to school there...but that's a different story. I was really disappointed at first, but as I started to work on their uniforms, I actually really enjoyed redesigning OSU.

Interestingly, my brother, some friends, and I discussed OSU's uniforms and possibilities for alternates when I was back in Ohio over Christmas. That conversation gave me the idea for the matte black alternate helmet with a scarlet block O (with white outlines) to honor Woody Hayes. (I don't think I have ever seen him without some version of that black hat.) For those not as familiar with Ohio State tradition, he is still revered as a saint (or a deity) in the state of Ohio. He really established Ohio St. as a national power and also introduced the iconic look they wear today.

I went back and forth as to whether or not I should go with this helmet. I thought it would definitely be a good idea if I could explain it, but I couldn't. In the end I decided to take the risk. It seems as if it didn't end up being a wise choice, but maybe it didn't make a difference.

Congratulations to wyopokes2 and the other winners. This competition was a lot of fun. Thanks crash and the CCSLCCC for putting this together.

award%20sig.png

I tied for fifth again? I'm doing just enough.

Seriously, there were like 50+ entries, and the judges picked me in the top 5.(Well, 6 technically...) This is a big one for me. Thank you guys so much for running a solid contest.

On to the concept, I almost went with a design exactly like the LSU entry. It was weird, yet intriguing how two people had the same thought, albeit mine was based off of Pacific Northwestern art. The final product had the following features:

*Pattern on sleeves that represent rain and mist that Seattle is known for. The pattern always appears coming from the northwest.

*Northwest notch on left numerals.

*Two helmets, three jerseys, and three pants to wear in any combo.

*"LEADTHEPACK" motto on the inside of every collar.

I probably would have made the whole mist pattern a little more obvious, but I'm happy with it.

JaiBirdDesignSig.png

Hey, I got a vote... lol I did though. Great competition. I figured I'd have gotten a little more love but there were so many great concepts that I wasn't too upset. I had Kansas so i just tried to not ho too crazy but be a little "innovative" on the helmets. I guess I should've gone with a more traditional application

I tied for fifth again? I'm doing just enough.

Seriously, there were like 50+ entries, and the judges picked me in the top 5.(Well, 6 technically...) This is a big one for me. Thank you guys so much for running a solid contest.

On to the concept, I almost went with a design exactly like the LSU entry. It was weird, yet intriguing how two people had the same thought, albeit mine was based off of Pacific Northwestern art. The final product had the following features:

*Pattern on sleeves that represent rain and mist that Seattle is known for. The pattern always appears coming from the northwest.

*Northwest notch on left numerals.

*Two helmets, three jerseys, and three pants to wear in any combo.

*"LEADTHEPACK" motto on the inside of every collar.

I probably would have made the whole mist pattern a little more obvious, but I'm happy with it.

Hey I gotta give you credit... you made Washington look better than Nike did to them this past year. That northwest touch was great. Fun fact: most people wouldn't know that the east side is actually a desert (less than ten inches of rain a year) because of the mountains absorbing all the precipitation.

I did Florida State this round. I didn't want to change much, because I really do believe that Nike did a real good job with Florida State. I just tried to clean it up a little bit, especially with removing the pattern from the collar. I changed the font colours, and added the pattern sublimated on the numbers, as well as a pant stripe. It's difficult to do so much with a team who's had uniforms that haven't really been modified in years.

I appreciate all the votes I received, and look forward to another competition like this sometime in the future.

1425175351-U10338.png

Let's do another one very soon. VERY soon. I wish I didn't get stuck with two teams with somewhat bland color schemes (UMass + Texas A&M) maybe I could have done a little better...I started off with higher hopes. Still had a blast. I could see another competition with a different brand and a different league (or even sport) being just as fun.

kCkLFSX.pngWGUTHKC.pngnbweR1j.png

ʎɐqǝ uo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐן ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ

I had the U. I knew I wanted to go off of the previous 2010s set with the collarbone stripes, but it was tough trying to incorporate them with the template.

I really wanted to use two tone numbers, similar to the old Pro Combat sets, I think that would've helped my case a lot. There wasn't a good way to use them without the jersey seeming overly crowded, though.

What a contest! Earning a medal is always fun stuff. I enjoyed getting my praise and feedback from some of the top designers on the board.

spacer.png

I had Washington State. They really have no tradition, and I wanted to do something different while also fitting the template. I found that the chest stripes looked unique, so I stuck with them. I love their logo, and I kept the light grey and red ones they've used for a long time. The goal for the alternate was to use the new dark grey they've been using with their current set without being too gaudy. I found using cap sleeves and light grey seemed best. Then I wanted to use a big ole logo on the third helmet, which is exactly what I did.

At the end of the day, I'm glad to see I got some votes. I didn't expect to win, but those votes and honorable mentions gave me some confidence on this.

Congrats to the top finishers as well. I had a fun time participating in this competition and can't wait for the next one!

AM-JKLUm-gD6dFoY5MvQGgjXb2rzP7kMTHmGf8UsR6KOCYQnHU-0HSFi-zjXHepGDckUAHcduu3pVgvwxe06RKDW2y2Z2BmhEOe8OP-WSY1XqLT9KsQ0ZP75J9loQuNrvLW208pEWCg9jq8aNx-zFneH9aPQQA=w800-h112-no?authuser=0

spacer.png

This was a really great competition. I can't wait for what the Council has got planned in the future.

I got some votes that round, so that's nice. I had Kentucky, and I absolutely killed my chances with that alt. My main goal on the home and away was to try to combine a classic and modern look. I actually had a different helmet logo at first, but had to scrap it due to the rules.

I didn't want to just go with a black jersey for the alt (I dislike black for them), so I tried to come up with something unique or historic. Unfortunately, it didn't go well, and I kind just threw something together that was different for difference's sake, and I went a bit too Maryland-style over the top with the helmet.

Either way, it was nice to shake off the rust and getting back into it.

I've got a dribbble, check it out if you like my stuff; alternatively, if you hate my stuff, send it to your enemies to punish their insolence!

I really enjoyed the discussion that followed last round, so I think I will try to start it here.

I had Ohio St. It was a challenge going with a team with such an iconic look. I was really hoping I wouldn't get a team with a classic look like Notre Dame, Alabama, USC, Michigan, Texas, etc. because I felt that I couldn't do as much with them. Then I got Ohio State--the team that I dislike the most, even though I went to school there...but that's a different story. I was really disappointed at first, but as I started to work on their uniforms, I actually really enjoyed redesigning OSU.

Interestingly, my brother, some friends, and I discussed OSU's uniforms and possibilities for alternates when I was back in Ohio over Christmas. That conversation gave me the idea for the matte black alternate helmet with a scarlet block O (with white outlines) to honor Woody Hayes. (I don't think I have ever seen him without some version of that black hat.) For those not as familiar with Ohio State tradition, he is still revered as a saint (or a deity) in the state of Ohio. He really established Ohio St. as a national power and also introduced the iconic look they wear today.

I went back and forth as to whether or not I should go with this helmet. I thought it would definitely be a good idea if I could explain it, but I couldn't. In the end I decided to take the risk. It seems as if it didn't end up being a wise choice, but maybe it didn't make a difference.

Congratulations to wyopokes2 and the other winners. This competition was a lot of fun. Thanks crash and the CCSLCCC for putting this together.

I felt the same way about my assignment, Boston College, and weirdly enough I ended up doing the same sort of thing you did. I just felt like (1) Boston College would never allow too wild of a uniform, even though they've let UA recently give them clerical collar-esque two-tone collars/arm sleeves and mix-and-match uniform pieces resulting in too much maroon and white and (2) Boston College should definitely be Notre Dame but maroon instead of navy. I understand that the guy who put two-tone sleeve stripes (what in the world?) on Notre Dame did really good in this competition, but I went more traditional (which probably came off as lazy color-filling). I also tried to match the pants stripe to the helmet stripe instead of playing around with it like Boston College has done in the past.

I feel like the main contribution of my design is the third though. If you noticed by the inner collar text (possibly after zooming in), the alternate is called "Blackrobes". If you're not familiar with North American Catholicism, this is what the tribes of Quebec (when it was New France) and New England (when it was the Thirteen Colonies) called the Jesuit missionaries who approached them, in reference to the iconic all-black robes they wore. And since Boston College is the most eminent Jesuit university in the U.S., if not the world, I figured I'd pay homage, even if it may seem BFBS.

I saw on a Boston College blog that they wanted a gold alt jersey that didn't match the gold on their helmets like UA's 2012 one-off, but instead matched the gold of their grassroots student section Superfan group, but I thought that was idiotic and so I ditched the idea of a gold alt entirely. I actually tried to put a Welles Crowther "Man in the Red Bandana" memorial sticker on the back of the helmet just for the third, but it didn't render that well since I was shrinking a non-vector image, I think. I didn't want to do anything with eagle logos for the third (or the home and away) because I don't think it fits a traditional look (not to mention bird designs are pretty cliche in football and rsaline already claimed that territory in this competition with his well-done EMU concept last round).

Didn't get any votes (unlike last round), but I can't complain about that: there were a lot of very good designs this round.

Let's do another one very soon. VERY soon. I wish I didn't get stuck with two teams with somewhat bland color schemes (UMass + Texas A&M) maybe I could have done a little better...I started off with higher hopes. Still had a blast. I could see another competition with a different brand and a different league (or even sport) being just as fun.

Seconded

"The pictures looked good on the computer," Will Brown explained

XCUfRbB.jpg

Archived