Movin' to the Sunshine: The 2015 NBA Offseason Thread

OnWis97

The NBPA is investigating the Sixers to see, essentially, just how messed up the franchise is.

The NBPA told agents in a meeting on Monday that it will actively look into the 76ers handling of the CBA, such as salary distributions, the cap floor and contract format loopholes. For the NBPA, Philadelphias approach over the past several seasons may not be a technical violation of collective bargaining as much as it is one of the spirit of negotiating under the CBA. [...]

Over the past two seasons, the 76ers have compiled a 37-127 record, staying below the 90 percent salary floor for majority of the campaigns before late season signings or trades.

I've complained about the Sixers before, and the way the team is being run is just too cynical for me. Entire seasons are loss leaders in hopes of landing the next LeBron James or Michael Jordan, and there's never an expectation of winning. It's awful and the league shouldn't allow it. Bad management a la the Clippers of the 90s is won thing. Willful anticompetitiveness year after year is something different.

While ownership seems to be following the CBA, I credit Michelle Roberts for saying something, as opposed to Adam Silver being AWOL again.

The Sixers have took on high priced players at the trade deadline and released them to avoid playing the roster players the difference between the floor and their payroll. In some cases, that share would be greater than their salary.

Before trading for and releasing JaVale McGee, their highest paid player this season was Jason Richardson!

That Jason Richardson.

• Replies 441
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The complaint is about going against the spirit of the rule about dispersing salary money beneath the cap floor. So if they sign or trade for players to meet the cap floor before the season, but still tank, the NBPA is happy? Does that reduce the transparency of what Philadelphia is doing enough to satisfy them?

Fans don't care about cap floors. They care about tanking. Fix that.

PJU85JF.png

The complaint is about going against the spirit of the rule about dispersing salary money beneath the cap floor. So if they sign or trade for players to meet the cap floor before the season, but still tank, the NBPA is happy? Does that reduce the transparency of what Philadelphia is doing enough to satisfy them?

Fans don't care about cap floors. They care about tanking. Fix that.

She is laying out her item by item issues with the current CBA and is preparing for the lockout.

The Sixers, per reports, also offer low minimum, non-guaranteed multiple year contracts which piss off agents.

I'm really excited to see how badly Phil Jackson screws up the draft.

Has anyone gone from genius to dumb ass so quickly? 11 titles and he apparently has total :censored: for brains. I don't get it.

Maybe he can take over as coach of a title-ready team. Cleveland, perhaps.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

I'm really excited to see how badly Phil Jackson screws up the draft.

Has anyone gone from genius to dumb ass so quickly? 11 titles and he apparently has total :censored: for brains. I don't get it.

Maybe he can take over as coach of a title-ready team. Cleveland, perhaps.

Maybe. Some people are better leaders than administrators. I think Phil is probably in that bucket.

I don't know how involved Phil was in building the Bulls or Lakers. Having the best players helped, but those teams also underperformed without him (well, the Lakers, at least).

I can't belive the NBA Draft is here already. Maybe I'm too used to the endless NFL hype. It's nice the NBA just gets to it and calls it done.

My bet is the Sixers or Knicks take Porzingis. He's a couple years away, which is great for Philly, and he might never be good, which is great for New York.

I have a bad feeling it won't work out for Okafor, but the Lakers would be dumb to pass him up. Though if they had the opportunity to trade that pick straight up for Boogie Cousins (or better Boogie plus the 6th, which would be thievery), it'd be hard to turn it down.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

I think Flip Saunders kinda likes Okafor and I was worried the Wolves were going to draft him. Nothing like having to take your #1 pick out of the end of tight games because he cannot hit free throws.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

The Toronto Raptors will put a D-League team in Mississauga starting this fall:

The Raptors are poised to announce they have acquired a D League team that will begin play this fall in Mississauga, according to multiple sources.

The team — to be named something along the lines of the Raptors905s as a nod to the suburban area code — will play out of the Hershey Centre and the official announcement could come as early as Monday, the Star has learned.

The Toronto Raptors will put a D-League team in Mississauga starting this fall:

The Raptors are poised to announce they have acquired a D League team that will begin play this fall in Mississauga, according to multiple sources.

The team — to be named something along the lines of the Raptors905s as a nod to the suburban area code — will play out of the Hershey Centre and the official announcement could come as early as Monday, the Star has learned.

*puts hit out on Drake*

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

The NBPA is investigating the Sixers to see, essentially, just how messed up the franchise is.

The NBPA told agents in a meeting on Monday that it will actively look into the 76ers’ handling of the CBA, such as salary distributions, the cap floor and contract format loopholes. For the NBPA, Philadelphia’s approach over the past several seasons may not be a technical violation of collective bargaining as much as it is one of the spirit of negotiating under the CBA. [...]

Over the past two seasons, the 76ers have compiled a 37-127 record, staying below the 90 percent salary floor for majority of the campaigns before late season signings or trades.

I've complained about the Sixers before, and the way the team is being run is just too cynical for me. Entire seasons are loss leaders in hopes of landing the next LeBron James or Michael Jordan, and there's never an expectation of winning. It's awful and the league shouldn't allow it. Bad management a la the Clippers of the 90s is won thing. Willful anticompetitiveness year after year is something different.

This sounds like what happened to the Marlins a few years ago, where they were told to start spending money on payroll or else.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

The How the Sixers did — and didn’t — turn a profit last year"

The goal of the floor, and of the penalty, is that teams will essentially pay a fixed minimum amount to players, even if team salary falls below there.

But there is a loophole.

First, the teams salary is calculated at the end of the season. The team being below the salary cap floor at any point before then is irrelevant.

Second, team salaries are calculated based off of the full season salary of all players on the roster at the end of the season, even if that player was acquired during the season.

Still, the longer the team goes into the season with upwards of $24 million between them and the salary floor, the potential cost savings grow. With the offseason virtually wrapped up there doesn’t seem like there will be all that many opportunities to add gobs of salary until the trade deadline...

This is beginning of #KaminskyWatch2015, isn't it?

Batum is a good player when healthy, and one of my likable players, but I also like Henderson, and think Vonleh could grow to be an real asset. I don't really know how to feel about this.

Oh and apparently the Hornets also traded for Jeremy Lamb, shipping Matt Barnes' contract somewhere else. That's fine.

JaiBirdDesignSig.png

LAL takes D'Angelo Russell...

Your move Sam Hinkie.

Ha ha ha!

And they picked another big guy whose career they've immediately jinxed. The Sixers should've picked Porzingis -- they're going to kill him in New York. He'll be good off the bench when he ends up in Milwaukee in a few years. Or somewhere else later in the draft, depending on who picks Kaminsky.

I'm really intrigued by the Russell pick.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Continuing the tradition of bad draft picks for Charlotte...

MJ, Cho, you had Winslow there. HE WAS THERE! YOU TAKE KAMINSKY YOU ALREADY HAVE TWO LANKY WHITE GUYS YOU DONT NEED ANOTHER YOU NEED TO SCORE SCORE SCORE THIS PICK BETTER BE TRADED OR ELSE SOMEONE'S GETTING FIRED.

Phew, sorry, I'm just a little heated.

JaiBirdDesignSig.png

Archived