Movin' to the Sunshine: The 2015 NBA Offseason Thread

OnWis97

I love the Palace. Great venue. But the location absolutely sucks. Literally in the middle of nowhere. The Pistons need to be downtown. In the Wings arena.

Building a second arena while the Wings are putting up a $650 million dollar building is asinine given the state of disarray the city is in. Half the NHL/NBA share.

Which cities with NHL and NBA teams don't share? Off the top of my head, I can only think of of the Wild/Wolves, unless you want to expand to region and say Warriors/Sharks. It would be really, really dumb for the Pistons to build their own downtown place, for the reasons you mention and more.

I was counting the teams that don't have both sports (San Antonio, SLC, Portland, etc), but you're right- for the cities that have both, it's nearly all.

sig.png

• Replies 441
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Pistons and Red Wings should come together for a new arena for both teams. Its ridiculous to have two arenas especially in a city that is flat broke.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

Newark here they come... although the "New Jersey Phila" is not a great team name. :)

They're not building team HQ in Camden for 2016 just to move to Newark. They (Harris and Co.) want Camden to do just what Newark did for the Devils before the bought into the NHL. The Prudential Center was/is a privately owned facility. It looks that they want public (state) money and make it a Philly v. Camden battle.

Camden, besides maybe the waterfront, is a complete lost cause. Building an arena there will not revive the poorest city in the country. It won't be like Newark at all.

Meanwhile in the Brew City (or probably more specifically in Madison), Wisconsin Governor Scott Walker announced that the state has a deal in place to fund up to $250 million in taxpayer money to build a new arena for the Bucks. The governor claim that if the Bucks left Wisconsin, it'll cost Milwaukee (and the state) more tax revenue in the long-term than it would if they just went ahead and built the new arena.

The deal, of course, is contingent on whether the Wisconsin state legislature giving the arena plan a passing vote.

http://www.twincities.com/nation/ci_28250690/scott-walker-announce-milwaukee-bucks-arena-deal

Meanwhile in the Brew City (or probably more specifically in Madison), Wisconsin Governor Scott Walker announced that the state has a deal in place to fund up to $250 million in taxpayer money to build a new arena for the Bucks. The governor claim that if the Bucks left Wisconsin, it cost Milwaukee (and the state) more tax revenue in the long-term than it would if they just went ahead and built the new arena.

The deal, of course, is contingent on whether the Wisconsin state legislature giving the arena plan a passing vote.

http://www.twincities.com/nation/ci_28250690/scott-walker-announce-milwaukee-bucks-arena-deal

Either way, this really goes against his staunch conservative chest-thumping. Everyone loves the free market. Until they don't.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

DP

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Newark here they come... although the "New Jersey Phila" is not a great team name. :)

They're not building team HQ in Camden for 2016 just to move to Newark. They (Harris and Co.) want Camden to do just what Newark did for the Devils before the bought into the NHL. The Prudential Center was/is a privately owned facility. It looks that they want public (state) money and make it a Philly v. Camden battle.

Just to be clear, there was nothing serious about my post. But I'm glad it inspired some real talk on the topic.

So... Camden is a legit potential landing spot if the leverage play doesn't work?

Just to be clear, there was nothing serious about my post. But I'm glad it inspired some real talk on the topic.

So... Camden is a legit potential landing spot if the leverage play doesn't work?

If they are smart, I doubt it.

Meanwhile in the Brew City (or probably more specifically in Madison), Wisconsin Governor Scott Walker announced that the state has a deal in place to fund up to $250 million in taxpayer money to build a new arena for the Bucks. The governor claim that if the Bucks left Wisconsin, it cost Milwaukee (and the state) more tax revenue in the long-term than it would if they just went ahead and built the new arena.

Either way, this really goes against his staunch conservative chest-thumping. Everyone loves the free market. Until they don't.

Sort of like how he wanted to destroy public-sector unions, except for the police, because they've got the guns.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Clippers and Hornets agree in principle to Lance Stephenson trade.

Isn't Paul Pierce also considering a move to the Clippers? Maybe they'll make good before CP3's title window closes after all.

Not a good trade, IMO. Lance should had a little bit more time. If he played like last year this upcoming season, I'd pull the trigger. Matt Barnes is a alright asset, but Hawes is dead cap weight. Hopefully they can flip these two for something better. All in all: :(

JaiBirdDesignSig.png

Clippers and Hornets agree in principle to Lance Stephenson trade.

Isn't Paul Pierce also considering a move to the Clippers? Maybe they'll make good before CP3's title window closes after all.

Hey, remember that guy who spent all of last summer claiming Stephenson was going to lead the Horncats to awesome greatness?

LOL.

Those were good times man. Good times.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

This trade is actually far less of a risk from the Clippers' perspective than one would think. If he pans out, we just added youth, athleticism, and defense at the wing to a team that has lacked all of this since Q-Ross and Maggette left. If he's a cancer, the Clippers can just opt out of the last year of his deal and save $10 mil. And all we gave up is a glorified bench player (Barnes) and an absolute stiff in Hawes.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

It's essentially a contract year for Lance right before the salary cap is going to soar. He could make himself a ton of money by making this work.

What was the problem in Charlotte anyway?

PJU85JF.png

What was the problem anyway?

Same thing the whole fanbase is asking.

I honestly just want to know what the endgame for all of this is. Management ever since the Bobcats has always been bad, and unfortunately, it's seems like those same traits have stuck. (Of course they have, it's the same team.)

JaiBirdDesignSig.png

Wow if the Clippers can pull these deals and bring in Pierce, they could be a serious threat to win it all next year. Pierce may be as old as dirt, but he is a playoff closer something they sorely lack.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

The Clips just have to keep Jordan, which I'm thinking (or at least hoping) they will. A lineup of Paul-Stephenson/Crawford/Redick-Pierce-Griffin-Jordan looks pretty good to me.

97uyh0.jpg

Bruh check out my last.fm

And my Rate Your Music

Fantasy Teams: Seattle Spacemen (CFA)

Signature credit to Silent Wind of Doom

Archived