Dallas WHA Team to be called the "Americans"

txhockeyfan

Here is the write-up from the Dallas Morning News

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dw....2fa9e677e.html

All Americans: Dallas' WHA team has a name

By MIKE HEIKA / The Dallas Morning News

The World Hockey Association team scheduled to play at Reunion Arena this fall will be named the Dallas Americans, owner Rick Munro announced Wednesday.

The name was selected by fans in a Web-site poll in which more than 5,000 fans responded, Munro said.

"It's a name we were probably leaning toward, and it's one we definitely feel good about," he said. "We want to be America's hockey team."

Other choices were Eagles, Demolition, Heroes and Vision.

The team colors will be red, white and blue, and the style of the uniforms will be "classic," Munro said. The team logo and uniforms are expected to be revealed Saturday at the WHA draft in Niagra Falls, Ontario. He said the uniforms will incorporate traditions that are both American and Texan.

The team is close to naming a coach and GM, Munro said, but neither will be at the draft. He said he will handle the selections and will use a group of consultants to help with the picks.

Each WHA team will select 30 veteran players Saturday and will have exclusive negotiating rights with those players. Each team will then select 30 entry-level players between the ages of 17-20 on Sunday. Many of the players selected will have already been taken in the NHL draft, but this draft will establish negotiating rights for WHA teams.

Dallas lost the lottery and will pick sixth in the first round of the veteran draft. A different order will be announced Saturday for the entry draft.

e-mail mheika@dallasnews.com

"It's a name we were probably leaning toward, and it's one we definitely feel good about," he said. "We want to be America's hockey team."

They're not sure whether they were leaning towards it or not?

I can hear the announcement now... "With the sixth pick in the 2004 WHA Entry Draft, the Dallas Americans PROBABLY select Mike Modano! Hey! Stop laughing!"

WINnipegSigBanner.gif

ugh.. i almost vomitted when i saw this yesterday on the DMN site...

all i've gotta say during the lockout is, "LET'S GO BRAHMAS!"

CHL > WHA

Tarantulas will kick the Brahmas ASS! :D

on the scoreboard? probably... in PIMS? not as sure :)

the brahmas aren't what you'd call.... a GOOD team...... but i've seen them have a bench clearing brawl a few years back.

but hey, unless they put a CHL team in dallas, fort worth is all i've got :) go purple... and... green.. and.. black... and gold... and tan... and LIGHT purple... and every other color the stupid bastards wear. :)

Wait...I'm sorry but, the Dallas Vision???? What the heck is that? Heroes and Demolition are bad too, but Vision is Ice Patrol bad. Can't even imagine what a logo would look like.

Wait...I'm sorry but, the Dallas Vision???? What the heck is that? Heroes and Demolition are bad too, but Vision is Ice Patrol bad. Can't even imagine what a logo would look like.

man i was hoping for Ice Patrol the team abbreviation would be DIP

GDB... Brothers from other Mothers

www.pifflespodcast.com

Obviously, it would be an eye chart.

CHL > WHA

the brahmas aren't what you'd call.... a GOOD team...... but i've seen them have a bench clearing brawl a few years back.

but hey, unless they put a CHL team in dallas, fort worth is all i've got :) go purple... and... green.. and.. black... and gold... and tan... and LIGHT purple... and every other color the stupid bastards wear. :)

You nailed it with the Brahmas colors. Are there any they haven't worn?

Given my proximity to Reunion, I just might go check out an Americans game or two. Should be a train wreck of bad hockey and horrible uniforms. Anyway, Ft. Worth is WAY too far to drive for me.

And yes, "Americans" is a dumb name. Then again, it's a dumb league.

Cole, are you in the mid cities?

I'll be happy to sell them a recolored version of my Zephyrs logo, but they gotta pay in cash. There's no way in hell I'm taking a cheque from anything or anyone involved in the WHA (heretofore known as the "Wha?").

No food stamps, no money orders, no "Merchandise", no "7th Man Award", Cash. Dough-re-mi. Scratch. Clams. Biscuits.

I hate this league so much, how could you Bobby? HOW???

Welcome to DrunjFlix

CHL > WHA

You nailed it with the Brahmas colors. Are there any they haven't worn?

Given my proximity to Reunion, I just might go check out an Americans game or two. Should be a train wreck of bad hockey and horrible uniforms. Anyway, Ft. Worth is WAY too far to drive for me.

And yes, "Americans" is a dumb name. Then again, it's a dumb league.

Cole, are you in the mid cities?

no, i'm actually just a little south of dallas, in a goofy little pointless town called red oak...

fort worth is a long trip for me, but i'm used to it, as i've been to UTA in arlington on many occasions... and plan to go there in a year or so, after i get my easy stuff done at el centro.

Because I am a bit unsure, exactly what is the point of the WHA? Is it just a pick up league to keep the NHL players busy during the lock out? (If that comes to pass!)Because it sure as hell isn't acting as anything anyone should be taking seriously!

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

It's supposed to be this new pro hockey league and they are starting this fall to take advantage of the NHL lockout (if it happens). They are trying to get NHL free-agents to sign with them as marquee players, however none will. When the NHL resumes play (wether it be on time or late) this league will probably fold or become a low minor league.

And I am mad about the use of the Americans name. There can only be 1 American team and that's the NJ Americans of Major League Football B)

Dallas Americans? For a state that takes so much pride (almost to the point of arrogance) on being the "Lone Star" it seems funny to take on a name that represents the entire nation.

"If things have gone wrong, I'm talking to myself, and you've got a wet towel wrapped around your head."

Archived