CFL Scoring

Nate15

OK, so I was flipping through the channels and I found a CFL game on TV between the Blue Bombers and Renegades. I knew there were differences between the American and Canadian versions, but I didn't know there were any differences in the scoring. But the score was 8-1 in the third quarter, obviously a score that would be impossible in the American game. So my question is, how does the scoring work in Canada?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
OK, so I was flipping through the channels and I found a CFL game on TV between the Blue Bombers and Renegades. I knew there were differences between the American and Canadian versions, but I didn't know there were any differences in the scoring. But the score was 8-1 in the third quarter, obviously a score that would be impossible in the American game. So my question is, how does the scoring work in Canada?

Same way as in the US, except if the ball is kicked through the endzone (on a field goal or punt), or is kicked into the endzone and not returned out of it, it counts as a single point. Often called the Rouge point, for unknown reasons. As far as I know, it's the only scoring difference between the CFL and NFL.

Did you catch the end of the game? My boys took it to 'em! Go Blue!

WINnipegSigBanner.gif

will moris:

how do you score one point in american football?

2 points safety

3 points field goal

6 points touchdown

1 point extra point

2 point conversion

That's it.

the only possible way, is in HS football when there is a forfeit, the team that doesn't forfeit wins the game 1-0.

Stamp:

That'd be interesting. Kinda like the punt's being live in the XFL, honestly one of the more interesting rule differences in the XFL. Not that i'd want them to impliment it in the NFL, but in a league full of mistakes, that was one rule that was kinda cool and added a whole other element into the game.

Is it true that CFL once had the rule you could catch the ball on a bounce?

The CFL has always had that rule on punts and kicks, you can catch it on a bounce, but definitely not on throws. The only rules that are different other than the scoring, is that the defending special teams unit cannot down the ball, and there are no wussy fair catches, but there is a 5 yard from the ball rule in which you have to give the opposing punt returner five yards to catch the ball. Also, the three downs of course and the 55 yard field, and the large endzones. And the fact that OUR BALLS ARE BIGGER! Boo yeah! And to Epper, yes, the play is dead if an extra point is blocked. Although i have seen in the CFL an incidence where a 2 pt play was picked and the guy returned into the endzone, but i think they might've called it back. Oh well.

3JymF.png

It's possible to score one point in college football. Technically, it's a one-point safety, and here's now I think it could happen.

East Carolina attempts extra point

BYU blocks extra point

BYU recovers the ball and returns it down the field

The East Carolina kicker (wearing #9) chases the BYU player and levels him at the East Carolina 3 yard line.

The BYU player fumbles

East Carolina recovers the fumble in their own endzone

The same thing with an interception or fumble. That couldn't happen in the NFL because blocked PATs, interceptions, or fumbles are blown dead.

I think this happened to somebody playing NCAA 03 or 04 once, and I read it on the message board. That's how I know it. Bow to my greatness! :D

Seriously though, it would probably NEVER happen, so it's basically just a trivia question.

BigStuffChamps3_zps00980734.png

Ok, so, if yu kick a ball out of the (back?) of the endzone, it's a single..does it count if it goes out of the side of the endzone?

Also, if you try a field goal, and miss, and it takes a crazy bounce and goes out of the back, does that count as a single, or since you were attempting a field goal, does it make the ball dead.

BTW, it is AWESOME to have the CFL back on in the states.

"This isn't just the Oregon Ducks, it's Football's Future Turf Soldier War Hero Steel Robot Tech Flex Machine Army." -CS85

Ok, so, if yu kick a ball out of the (back?) of the endzone, it's a single..does it count if it goes out of the side of the endzone?

Also, if you try a field goal, and miss, and it takes a crazy bounce and goes out of the back, does that count as a single, or since you were attempting a field goal, does it make the ball dead.

BTW, it is AWESOME to have the CFL back on in the states.

I'm not sure about a missed field goal going out on the bounce, but I do know it doesn't matter whether it goes out the back or the side of the end zone.

Some Americans might think this is a dumb point, because to break a tie you'd only have to kick it out of the endzone. They have a point there, it can be an easy way to break a tie, but then, it's also fun to watch long late game FG's with the game tied... the defending team puts a couple of guys in the endzone to either kick it out or run it out if it should go wide. Now that's an entertaining play.

WINnipegSigBanner.gif

Actually, the way I remember the rules in NCAA football ( I don't have a rulebook in front of me, so correct me if I'm wrong), the defense scores 1 point if they block an extra point kick and return the blocked kick to the other end zone, and 2 points if they do the same on a fumble or interception of a 2-point conversion attempt.

if the defense blocks the kick, the only way they can return it is if the ball is recovered before it touches the ground. Once the ball crosses the neutral zone (usually considered the line of scrimmage), most teams will let it come to rest on the ground (no attempt to recover), and the referee will signal the ball dead. If the defense makes an attempt to touch the ball and touches the ball beyond the line of scrimmage (defensive zone), the offense may recover it and try to advance (Leon Lett & Dallas vs Miami, Thanksgiving a few years ago).

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

Our football referee organization goes by the NCAA rules. I think they're very similar to the NFL with returning blocked kicks.

here is a link the the NCAA website and rules book, pdf file.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

In the NFL. If an extra point kick is blocked and the defense recovers it and scores does it count for One point or Six points?????

If the defense recovers it, the ball is dead. But in college if the defense can return it, it counts as 2 points.

snappers_sig.gif

Dubya's thoughts on "terrorist" nations: "They never stop thinking of new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we."

Archived