Roller Hockey International Redux (Las Vegas jerseys)

jdp

I once played a ton of roller hockey (no ice rinks where I grew up) and became a big fan of the league. I even had the Roller Hockey magazine. Not unsurprisingly, however, Roller Hockey International did not stick around all that long. So, when I saw the RHI was represented on the CCSL mothership--and Raysox started the Concept Think Tank--I decided I would accept my own challenge to redo some of the logos. Even if some of the originals are about as 90s-tastic (meaning awesome) as you can get.

I started by redesigning the league logo and only five teams. The teams I chose were the ones I thought needed most help (look for the Toronto Planets later). Not that I was necessarily the one to do it, but here we are, all the same. A few things to keep in mind when perusing these:

• I didn't change any team names
  • I kept the original team color palettes (only allowing myself darker colors by increasing the K value by 20 points)
  • I decided to make these teams affiliates of their NHL hometown teams, so you'll see similarities there, especially in the fonts.
  • Useful C&C is always appreciated. As you'll see, I'm not great at team logos (although getting better, I think). Also note that these are my first attempts at hockey jerseys, so if there are certain things that are standard and I am missing them, please let me know.

So, here we go. The new Roller Hockey International league logo.

24486449780_1f61aab626_o.jpg

Fun fact: I actually had to re-draw the original RHI logo because I couldn't find an image large enough to just place in the template.

Credits

Template: combination of my own work (particularly the pants) and HJC (here and here)

Fonts: the man, the myth... the Conrad

References: RHI on Flickr by BranMan32

"Type something, will ya? We're paying for this stuff." - Peter Venkman
Complete: Stateside Soccer Federation | Complete: World Football Club Alliance | Stalled: Roller Hockey International Redux | Stalled: MLB & Soccer Crossover

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

RHI remakes?  You have my attention. (St. Louis Vipers season ticket holder 1995; Minnesota Blue Ox season ticket holder 1999)

The league logo's good, but I feel like the darker red for the air holes should contrast a bit more.  The full text could also stand to be a bit larger; it gets a bit lost.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

9 minutes ago, Mockba said:

RHI remakes?  You have my attention. (St. Louis Vipers season ticket holder 1995; Minnesota Blue Ox season ticket holder 1999)

The league logo's good, but I feel like the darker red for the air holes should contrast a bit more.  The full text could also stand to be a bit larger; it gets a bit lost.

Wow. Can't say I've even encountered a season ticket holder for one team, let alone two. The Vipers would have been the closest to me, so I was a big fan. Never made it to a game, though. Sadly.

As for the logo, I originally had the holes as white, but I felt it was distracting from "RHI" so I tried to hide them somewhat. I'll try it again, along with some other options. I'll post updates once I get the rest posted.

Complete: Stateside Soccer Federation | Complete: World Football Club Alliance | Stalled: Roller Hockey International Redux | Stalled: MLB & Soccer Crossover

Here's what the Jofa Speedpuck looked like:

$_1.JPG

I can see why white wouldn't work; I'd go for a darker red than what you originally tried.

Also, I just noticed the space between the edge of the puck and the R; that's a tad distracting.  Making the RHI text a little bigger would take care of that.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

I had seen some pucks that had oval/rounded pads. Regardless... a couple updates: larger text, larger RHI, darker pads/holes. Main difference here is top left of the R.

24734512679_ca34c391ff_o.png  24983830072_70d2207760_o.png

11 minutes ago, Frenchie said:

Looking forward to this series....

When I hear "Stampede", I think of a herd, not just one animal...

The initial version of the logo, I had three in the logo facing forward. I think this one came out best, but I'll share some other options soon enough.

26 minutes ago, JMtexan09 said:

i liked where you are going with Stampede logo, but can you add alittle bit more to the buffalo logo? like add some streak furs on body/legs? 

I had some additional tufts of fur, but they made the buffalo look a bit soft, to me at least. I'll try it again.

Great start and a fun project. My only complaint on Buffalo is that it feels too scrunched horizontally, making the Buffalo look fat. Lengthening the logo to more like the Bills' would make it look sleeker and more dynamic.

51 minutes ago, jmoe12 said:

Great start and a fun project. My only complaint on Buffalo is that it feels too scrunched horizontally, making the Buffalo look fat. Lengthening the logo to more like the Bills' would make it look sleeker and more dynamic.

Oh, I see it now. The reference photo used had the buffalo running an angle, not purely in profile, hence the scrunchiness. I think adding some of the other details will help with this, too.

Next up: Toronto Planets. And what was/still is maybe the worst logo (and color scheme) in all of sports. Here's my update, though.

24747516819_b6962d0d8f_o.jpg

4 minutes ago, KittSmith_95 said:

I never watched the RHI, but I love these concepts!

That template that you've made looks terrific as do both logos.

I wonder how the Planets jerseys are going to look though......

I'm actually starting to rethink what I have.

Archived