The Sports Media Thread

https://www.nytimes.com/athletic/5643760/2024/07/18/cbs-efl-tv-broadcast-rights-carabao-cup?source=user-shared-article

CBS has won the rights to the EFL for the next four years. ESPN also bid. Hopefully that means more games on CBSSN and CBS proper, instead of every game on Paramount, which is what ESPN has been doing. 

• Like 2

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

19 hours ago, TrueYankee26 said:

I don't think this was posted

http://espn.com/wnba/story/_/id/40587669/reports-wnba-get-200m-per-year-union-exec-concerned

In 2026, WNBA will stay on the Disney networks & Amazon, and NBC will replace CBS and ION

I expect the WNBA staying on the Disney family of networks and Amazon's Prime Video, whose sports division could be globally named Prime Sports, while NBCUniversal will replace CBS and ION

15 hours ago, TrueYankee26 said:

Maybe, I never saw anything on that channel other than Mexican soccer, MLS, and international soccer events

I would really love to see TUDN and VIX having U.S. Spanish-language Serie A rights, and I loved to see Caliente TV and Cazé TV becoming Ligue 1’s new rightsholders in Latin America and Brazil, respectively.

To me, it's still unbelievable that the NHL hasn't allowed anymore regional broadcasters in the U.S. (and nor even in Canada) to cover the entirety of the Stanley Cup playoffs. I could have only imagined TSN 2 and Bally Sports Sun regionally broadcasting the Montreal Canadiens and Tampa Bay Lightning's participation in the 2021 Stanley Cup Final.

25 minutes ago, Marcos Flamengo said:

To me, it's still unbelievable that the NHL hasn't allowed anymore regional broadcasters in the U.S. (and nor even in Canada) to cover the entirety of the Stanley Cup playoffs. I could have only imagined TSN 2 and Bally Sports Sun regionally broadcasting the Montreal Canadiens and Tampa Bay Lightning's participation in the 2021 Stanley Cup Final.

The national broadcast pays for the privilege of being the exclusive broadcaster. They wouldn't allow a regional broadcaster to pay less money and take away some of their audience.

• Like 1

It's where I sit.

1 hour ago, Marcos Flamengo said:

This is how it is for all the major leagues; NFL, NBA, MLB and NHL (MLS is exclusively Apple TV+), as well as CFB Playoff/bowl games and March Madness. The NHL first round is the only one I know of where the regional broadcast carries any playoff game. All the others are exclusively national broadcasts.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, McCall said:

This is how it is for all the major leagues; NFL, NBA, MLB and NHL (MLS is exclusively Apple TV+), as well as CFB Playoff/bowl games and March Madness. The NHL first round is the only one I know of where the regional broadcast carries any playoff game. All the others are exclusively national broadcasts.

The NBA also lets the locals broadcast the first round, though not exclusively.

Shame that syncing the local radio with the national TV broadcast is not so easy to do anymore.

• Like 3

So wait, Turner announced that they matched the offer as per their contractual right and the NBA said "lol no you didn't"? Well, that'll be fun, and I'm sure the real winner here will be the fans.

• Like 2

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫