Jump to content

Retro Style Uniforms next?


Logojunkie

Recommended Posts

I'm a big fan of the old style retro uniforms. 

Pretty much I love stripes.

It seems, at least for now the crazy uniforms in college might have hit peaked and may be in search for the next trend. 

I'd like to see uniforms similar to this.

2cmlr4k.jpg

https://twitter.com/Harry_MiniumVP

I got excited a few years ago when this rolled out. 

15hirud.jpg

The helmets would be neat to at least start with.

Ditch the chrome, and I'd LOVE that striped helmet.

29o0k0x.jpg

My University flirted with a mix of old and new but never rolled it out.

11vtc15.jpg

 

What do you all think?

Any other retro-themed / inspired uniform elements you'd like to see come back, or envision being the next thing?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Logojunkie said:

I'm a big fan of the old style retro uniforms. 

Pretty much I love stripes.

It seems, at least for now the crazy uniforms in college might have hit peaked and may be in search for the next trend. 

I'd like to see uniforms similar to this.

2cmlr4k.jpg

https://twitter.com/Harry_MiniumVP

I got excited a few years ago when this rolled out. 

15hirud.jpg

The helmets would be neat to at least start with.

Ditch the chrome, and I'd LOVE that striped helmet.

29o0k0x.jpg

My University flirted with a mix of old and new but never rolled it out.

11vtc15.jpg

 

What do you all think?

Any other retro-themed / inspired uniform elements you'd like to see come back, or envision being the next thing?

I'm not a big fan of vertical stripes on jerseys unless they're the UCLA or LSU type which are angled and not all over the entire shoulder area. The picture at the top, in particular, looks icky to me. So does the Meatchicken one, but that's mostly because it's Meatchicken.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, YesterdayWasCool said:

A&M rolled out a similar style jersey and helmet as a one off. Celebrating the 1939 N'al Championship team54189d6e0953e.image.jpg

1414676505695.jpeg

TAMUalt.jpg

Those are really cool. Great emulation of the old-school helmet designs.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'd like to see UCLA stripes come back, and LSU stripes as well. With the shortening of sleeves they can be worn on the shoulder. I'm a big fan of sleeve/shoulder stripes as long as they're not all over the sleeve/shoulder like in the OP's first example.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, dont care said:

Aren't LSU's stripes UCLA stripes? They aren't 2 different things, it's just now because of templates they don't make full sholder looks like the use to and instead get cut off at what ever seam the template they are using has.

I thought LSU's were always shorter than UCLA's.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, MCM0313 said:

I thought LSU's were always shorter than UCLA's.

If anything it's the opposite especially recently. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

And that's only because adidas has an awful template that won't allow for full shoulder loops for UCLA, and Nike gave LSU and a few other schools like OL miss that template to get longer "UCLA stripes" for the shoulder loop effect. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

47 minutes ago, dont care said:

If anything it's the opposite especially recently. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

And that's only because adidas has an awful template that won't allow for full shoulder loops for UCLA, and Nike gave LSU and a few other schools like OL miss that template to get longer "UCLA stripes" for the shoulder loop effect. 

Thanks for correcting me there. Were LSU's always longer than UCLA's? I thought UCLA's used to loop all the way around.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, MCM0313 said:

Thanks for correcting me there. Were LSU's always longer than UCLA's? I thought UCLA's used to loop all the way around.

They both did but with modern templates they have been getting shorter and cut off, LSU's use to be alittle bit shorter but Nike has dice given them a new custom template about 3 years ago with longer stripes that you see above. UCLA use to have full sholder loops for the longest time until they went to adidas which cut off the stripes to about the same as LSUs old ones were and then made even shorter by the tech fit templates. Then last year adidas did some half assed way of doing the stripes by basically screen printing them on and putting a bunch of slashes through them to make them longer and not be affected by the template.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, dont care said:

They both did but with modern templates they have been getting shorter and cut off, LSU's use to be alittle bit shorter but Nike has dice given them a new custom template about 3 years ago with longer stripes that you see above. UCLA use to have full sholder loops for the longest time until they went to adidas which cut off the stripes to about the same as LSUs old ones were and then made even shorter by the tech fit templates. Then last year adidas did some half assed way of doing the stripes by basically screen printing them on and putting a bunch of slashes through them to make them longer and not be affected by the template.

So UCLA's are now back to being fairly long, then, or did you mean LSU's?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

the UCLA stripe is a great example of old designs being shoe-horned onto modern templates. its no one's fault exactly, the evolution of the uniform has just gotten to a place where things designed in the 60s (or before) were solutions for a very different problem. they were stripes made to go around a sleeve that now get cropped off as hacked iterations of some sort of shoulder art. so for that reason it will be hard to bring back pre-war designs; you might have noticed how hacked the Steelers throwback uniform looks on a 2015 template. 

 

all that said, i do love a good throw-em-back and will always support using one if it can be pulled off. and im no Bears fan, but if they ever bring this design out and execute it well, im buying a jersey for sure. with Nagurski on the nameplate, please.

 

 

3064467597_5e3143fc6c_o.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I really like that Bears Uniform. 

Wow.

 

I don't think Northwestern did a bad job with their stripe around the chest. I guess it's retro inspired which works for a new trend. 

nw.jpg

 

I had forgotten about the Texas A&M helmet. That did turn out pretty cool.

I've liked this uniform from A&M since it rolled out. Well, the should stripes specifically. 

malcome-kennedy-ncaa-football-texas-am-a

Not as much of a fan of Mississippi State's take on it, but still sorta cool IMO.

hi-res-459828607-dak-prescott-of-the-mis

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

48 minutes ago, Logojunkie said:

I really like that Bears Uniform. 

Wow.

 

I don't think Northwestern did a bad job with their stripe around the chest. I guess it's retro inspired which works for a new trend. 

nw.jpg

 

I had forgotten about the Texas A&M helmet. That did turn out pretty cool.

I've liked this uniform from A&M since it rolled out. Well, the should stripes specifically. 

malcome-kennedy-ncaa-football-texas-am-a

Not as much of a fan of Mississippi State's take on it, but still sorta cool IMO.

hi-res-459828607-dak-prescott-of-the-mis

I like this idea better for them. Need to fix those numbers though so they are more visible. 

 

 

I love Northwestern's chest stripes. They're distinctive, unique, and bold. However, I wouldn't want 25 teams to be using them. They set Northwestern apart a bit from the field uniform-wise. 

 

Texas A&M and Mississippi State both look solid in the pictures you provided as well; however, MSU would look better if it didn't try to extend the jersey stripe onto the undershirt. The sleeve numbers break continuity, and the way the jerseys and shirts both get twisted around means the now-separate stripes don't even line up with each other properly.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, MCM0313 said:

I love Northwestern's chest stripes. They're distinctive, unique, and bold. However, I wouldn't want 25 teams to be using them. They set Northwestern apart a bit from the field uniform-wise. 

 

Texas A&M and Mississippi State both look solid in the pictures you provided as well; however, MSU would look better if it didn't try to extend the jersey stripe onto the undershirt. The sleeve numbers break continuity, and the way the jerseys and shirts both get twisted around means the now-separate stripes don't even line up with each other properly.

I love the stripes being extended onto the undershirt. I think the undershirt can be a way of solving the problem of truncating sleeve stripes inasmuch as jerseys can put the stripes on the undershirts rather than on the jersey themselves. Thus, you create the illusion of a fully-sleeved jersey.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, stumpygremlin said:

I love the stripes being extended onto the undershirt. I think the undershirt can be a way of solving the problem of truncating sleeve stripes inasmuch as jerseys can put the stripes on the undershirts rather than on the jersey themselves. Thus, you create the illusion of a fully-sleeved jersey.

That sounds good and all but it will never work unless everyone is forced to wear sleeved undershirts. I remember last year Boston College had a really great design for the ND game but the stripes were on the undershirt. In the actual game I barely saw anyone wearing am undershirt that had the sleeves thus removing what was in my opinion the best part of the uniform.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.