Sunny D logo refresh

ZionEagle

After seeing this topic here: 

I was inspired to make a new logo for Sunny D. I don't really have a lot of experience with company logos, but I had this idea in my head that needed to be put out.

The first time I went at it, I ended up with a horrible logo that looked like a credit company:

9K0nidI.png

I realized what I had in mind wasn't terrible, it just needed to be more exciting for something like a drink brand.

2rafRnj.png

This time I went with a more playful, almost ocean themed brand, while still keeping some simplicity. I should have put number four in place of one, since that would be the default logo.

I'll give some background to what I was thinking.

-I went with a similar color scheme as all of their previous logos, however it was hard to find the exact colors they used because of all the gradients.

-I realized if you flipped a D on its side it kind of looks like the sun, hence the basis for this concept.

-I used a more energetic font to seal the brand.

Now I tried putting this on packaging just for fun.

xXTOMF5.png

I know it's not the best, I just wanted to get a feel of how the logo would look. I'm pretty happy with it.

This was just a project I did on the spur of the moment, if anyone has suggestions feel free to offer them.

Random piece of info: I've never actually tried SunnyD before, since I don't like orange juice, therefore I probably don't have a right to compare it to other brands :)

iHxPa5Y.pngqXp6spn.png

"Winners never quit, and quitters never win." ~Vince Lombardi

Everything looks nice, but the D isn't anywhere near obvious enough.  I like the D sun, but it's not really a replacement for the D in the name (except for maybe in the initial concept).

Also, this is more technical than design, but SunnyD isn't orange juice.  I don't know exactly what they call it, but it's more like "inspired by orange juice".

@Cosmic Oh wow now I feel stupid. Shows you how much I know about these products. Thanks for pointing that out.

Is there a way you think I could make the D more obvious?

iHxPa5Y.pngqXp6spn.png

"Winners never quit, and quitters never win." ~Vince Lombardi

1 hour ago, ZionEagle said:

@Cosmic Oh wow now I feel stupid. Shows you how much I know about these products. Thanks for pointing that out.

Is there a way you think I could make the D more obvious?

I think keeping the D in line with the Sunny, like in 2 and the prototype really helps.  It literally helps it read more like a normal word.

The paintbrush effect looks cool, but on the D, I think it takes it further away from actually being a D.  On some of the logos, you have the D rotated, surrounded by the rays, out of alignment with the rest of the brand name, and "disfigured" by the stylization.  I just think it's too many degrees of separation.  Try to reduce those.  This is something quick and sloppy I came up with, just shifting around your elements (something happened with one of the "Sunny"s, but I'm not smart enough to know what :huh:):

sunnyd.jpg

I really like this!

Possible solution... go with a lower-case styling on the "y" so that the right side is flat (keep inline with rest of the word though, then maybe the "D" could look as if it's the sun peering from behind the "y"?)

Quick and dirty drawing of what I mean:

20160529_213723.jpg

BROWNS | BUCKEYES | CAVALIERS | INDIANS |

On 29 May 2016 at 9:33 AM, Cosmic said:

I think keeping the D in line with the Sunny, like in 2 and the prototype really helps.  It literally helps it read more like a normal word.

The paintbrush effect looks cool, but on the D, I think it takes it further away from actually being a D.  On some of the logos, you have the D rotated, surrounded by the rays, out of alignment with the rest of the brand name, and "disfigured" by the stylization.  I just think it's too many degrees of separation.  Try to reduce those.  This is something quick and sloppy I came up with, just shifting around your elements (something happened with one of the "Sunny"s, but I'm not smart enough to know what :huh:):

sunnyd.jpg

I like the first one it's cool if only it hadn't been destroyed:peace:

image.jpgimage.pngimage.pngGo the Blue Jays!And New Zealand!

image.png

Calling it "Sunny D" is cute -- the first couple of times.  But, just as calling McDonald's "Mickey D's" gets old very quickly, so does calling Sunny Delight "Sunny D". The logo should say the full name; to have shortened it on the bottle was a big mistake, as hearing the product called only by that name is very grating.  Likewise was the rebranding of the magnificently named $100,000 Bar to the harsh-sounding "100 Grand".

The D should be the most prominent thing in any Sunny Delight logo; one could easily imagine an orange or a sun (or both) being incorporated into the letterform.  But please spell out the whole name.

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

On 6/3/2016 at 4:49 PM, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

Calling it "Sunny D" is cute -- the first couple of times.  But, just as calling McDonald's "Mickey D's" gets old very quickly, so does calling Sunny Delight "Sunny D". The logo should say the full name; to have shortened it on the bottle was a big mistake, as hearing the product called only by that name is very grating.  Likewise was the rebranding of the magnificently named $100,000 Bar to the harsh-sounding "100 Grand".

The D should be the most prominent thing in any Sunny Delight logo; one could easily imagine an orange or a sun (or both) being incorporated into the letterform.  But please spell out the whole name.

You must love Hi-C

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

Archived