Stylus Sketches: 90's-Clad and Rad NBA Stars!

FinsUp1214

While still working out some updates for my Pacers concept I posted not too long ago, I thought I'd share something else I'm working on on the side.

So a quick introduction: I'm a 90's kid, and I absolutely love it when teams bust out throwbacks from the time period. Though I'm more traditionalist then not, 90's nostalgia wins out often for me! After getting my hands on a stylus and trying out digital sketching for the first time, I started working on a little series: illustrating a player from each team wearing their 90's throwback, with each illustration featuring team-specific elements. Basically what I'm doing as far as composition is concerned is tracing the outline and facial features of the player, but everything else - the uniform, logos, wordmarks/numbers, coloring, and background is strictly by hand. I like a little bit of "roughness" here and there as it gives it a bit more of a 90's look to me, so I decided against vectorizing the sketches to keep that look.

I plan on making one for each team (even the ones that have already donned throwbacks lately), and hope to keep improving on the sketching part as I go. I'm definitely still learning! This is all strictly for fun and enjoying the trip in the 'ol uniform time machine. 

So...here's who I have so far:

Heat - Dwayne Wade

image.png

Grizzlies - Mike Conley

image.png

Suns - Devin Booker

image.png

Rockets - James Harden

image.png

Enjoy! More to come!

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

7 minutes ago, rsaline said:

I'm impressed and can't wait to see what you have for all these teams! What are you using for these sketches, just pen and paper?

11 hours ago, FinsUp1214 said:

While still working out some updates for my Pacers concept I posted not too long ago, I thought I'd share something else I'm working on on the side.

So a quick introduction: I'm a 90's kid, and I absolutely love it when teams bust out throwbacks from the time period. Though I'm more traditionalist then not, 90's nostalgia wins out often for me! After getting my hands on a stylus and trying out digital sketching for the first time, I started working on a little series: illustrating a player from each team wearing their 90's throwback, with each illustration featuring team-specific elements. Basically what I'm doing as far as composition is concerned is tracing the outline and facial features of the player, but everything else - the uniform, logos, wordmarks/numbers, coloring, and background is strictly by hand. I like a little bit of "roughness" here and there as it gives it a bit more of a 90's look to me, so I decided against vectorizing the sketches to keep that look.

9 minutes ago, Power_Ranger_Rick said:

Man, I'm just not having a good day with reading am I?

I guess I should be asking what program you were using? Like, was this a Surface pro?

Thank you all so much for your comments! I'm glad to hear y'all like them! I'm pretty much using just a simple stylus and paint.net on my laptop - it's an HP with a touch screen monitor. I hope to get my hands on a Surface or an iPad someday though! 

As as for what's next, lightning bolt Steph Curry was actually already next on the docket and I'm about 3/4 of the way finished, so you're in luck ChicagoOakland! I think Orlando will be right after, but am still settling on which player to use. I'm leaning towards going ahead with Ibaka. Stay tuned! Thanks again everyone! Any improvements I could make?

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

Okay...for some reason I'm having trouble uploading images. It keeps shrinking the images to a bit of a thumbnail and can't figure out what's going on. I want to make sure it works right first before I post so y'all can see the image more clearly, but in the meantime I do have the Warriors (Curry) and Magic (Ibaka) finished! 

Hopefully I can get it to work soon, and when I do, I think I'll do one a day. So Warriors tonight/tomorrow, and Magic after. 

Thanks again for for all of your comments!

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

Alright, so it appears it's only the Curry image that isn't working unfortunately, so I'll have to go back to it and figure out what's wrong.

In the meantime, let's pull a switcheroo!

Magic - Serge Ibaka

image.png

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

Archived