infrared41's Best and Worst 2016 - NFL Week One

infrared41

Back for another season of weekly best and worst lists that are sure to please a few people, infuriate a few people, and be ignored by pretty much everyone else.

A couple quick notes before we get started. This season, we're losing the "thanks for ruining a potentially great match up" category and replacing it with "close, but no cigar." As you'll see this week, "close, but no cigar" will open things up quite a bit. Going into the season, my plan was to disqualify Color Rush uniforms from the worst list, but after seeing all the Color Rush uniforms, I decided against it. In fact, we may see some Color Rush uniforms on the best list this season. We're running late this week. because I had to get Basically a Football Show up and running so let's get this show in the road.

We had a pretty solid start to the season. Some very nice match ups, a couple "close, but no cigar" match ups, and just one match up that made the worst list. 

Put 60 seconds on the clock and lest's play our game. As always, these lists are just my opinion. Your mileage may vary.

Best

1. Pittsburgh - Washington: Two classic looks under the lights on Monday night. I think this one would have looked even better in daylight. The colors didn't pop quite as much as they would have in natural light, but the uniforms alone are enough to carry this one to the top spot this week. Great helmets.

Redskins.jpg

2. Raiders - Saints: Kudos to the Saints for not ruining this game buy wearing black pants. Put this match up outdoors in natural light and it takes the top spot, but again, the uniforms alone are enough to beat out some match ups with better light. Another great helmet match up.

Raiders.jpg

3. Bears - Texans: Kudos to the Texans for going all white in this one. Houston's white over navy combo is a very solid look, but against the Bears, the Texans in navy pants would have been too much blue. The Bears home uniform is as good as it gets.

Bears.jpg

4. Lions - Colts: A solid match up. Word is that the Lions will be changing their look. Hopefully, they go the Buffalo/Minnesota route and not the Tampa route. The Colts always look good.

Colts.jpg

5. Giants - Cowboys: "OMG!1! 1111!!!! COWBIYZ COLORS DONT MATCH! YUR AN IDIOT" and so on... This game always makes the best list. We'll survive. B)

Cowboys.jpg

Close, but no cigar:

Packers - Jags: I was tempted to put this game on the best list, but I knew I'd never hear the end of it because of the Jags helmet. How did I know that? Because I tried it a few years ago and I never heard the end of it. Honestly, the helmet doesn't bother me all that much these days. Maybe I'm just used to it...or more like resigned to it. Whatever the case, I thought this was a damned good looking match up. Close, but the Jags helmet keeps it from getting the cigar. 

Jags.jpg

Browns - Eagles: God help me, but I'm starting to really like certain Browns combos and the white over orange is one of them. Brown socks would have looked even better. It's close, but the BROWNS on the pants means no cigar. Still a pretty good looking game. 

Browns.jpg

Worst:

Buccaneers - Falcons: Ugly and modern meets dated and boring. This would have been a classic - in 1981. 

Bucs.jpg

That's it for this week. Thanks for stopping by. 

BB52Big.jpg

12 hours ago, CreamSoda said:

Can't believe New Orleans still has those toilet bowl collars...  Ruined the look for me.

I'm a Saints fan, but as long as they have those stupid ass collars and accept khaki pale Vegas gold as a substitute for their original brassy gold, they'll never have the top spot for me. 

Personally, I'd switch 1 and 3, but it's not my list. 

Also, do people still b•tch about the Cowboys mismatching blues? I notice you mention it almost every time you list them as one of your best looks.  It's almost as if you have to justify your opinion in your own thread!

If you hadn't noticed, Chawls loves his wrestling, whether it be real life or sim. :D

Honorable mention for Worst: Bengals at Jets and not because of the Bengals. The Jets green is even more brown than it was and the shoulder stripes are a completely different color. They looked awful and I expect their green jerseys to be even worse. 

9536953-leonard-williams-jeremy-hill-muh

Nike cannot get their green right and it drives me nuts!

PvO6ZWJ.png

1 hour ago, Chawls said:

Also, do people still b•tch about the Cowboys mismatching blues? I notice you mention it almost every time you list them as one of your best looks.  It's almost as if you have to justify your opinion in your own thread!

Not so much these days, but they sure used to. I did the "OMG!11!!" thing as a joke. Anyway, two years ago, I said I was done apologizing for liking the Cowboys look and that I'd no longer be explaining myself. Since then, it's been relatively quiet on that front.

BB52Big.jpg

Great as always to see this thread! 

I think I agree with just about all of the top 5. The uniforms alone made that Steelers/Washington snoozefest bearable. 

My personal worst, though, was Patriots/Cardinals. The Cards will never look good so long as they're running around in Arena League duds, and frankly, the Pats' are starting to look really dated nowadays. Just wasn't an appealing game to watch aesthetically.

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

Archived