Washington, DC Baseball Nickname

Jaybird

If the Washington, DC area has Major League Baseball Again, What Should the Team be Called?  

236 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The actual quote from the link mentioned by RickV:

The Rangers retain ownership of the name "Washington Senators," baseball spokesman Carmine Tiso said after consulting with Ethan Orlinsky, a lawyer for Major League Baseball Properties, the sport's licensing division.

So, will the Rangers organization be jerks about it and ask for some type of compensation or payment? Or does this just make it easier to get a new name?

I sure hope they don't play as the "Washington Expos". It was bad enough seeing the "Tennessee Oilers" for two years, not to mention the "Utah Jazz" for the last twenty-five. They should NOT keep the name "Expos" even as a temporary measure-- it's lazy and inappropriate. If they want to allow time for the new owners-- who are yet to be selected-- to do market studies, and develop the best names, color scheme, logos, that's fine. Simply give the team basic, non-descript uniforms that simply say "Washington" on the front home and away (heck, use the existing Expos unis and swap out the stitched-on front nameplate-- that's about what Bud did with the Pilots/Brewers when he moved them). In the interim, refer to them simply as "Washington" until everything is settled. Sportwriters will wind up going old-school, referring to the team as writers did in the old days before the teams had offcial nicknames, using such colloquialisms as sluggers, nine, Frank's boys, Washingtonians, etc.

Just don't call them the Washington Expos.

P.S. I've got a sort of vested interest in this; the franchise will be the parent club for our AAA New Orleans Zephyrs next year.

It is what it is.

Do whatever you want to the team, but please, I mean, please.... don't stick to their current color scheme (blue, red, white). There are plenty of MLB teams with that scheme to a point where it's almost boring. Change the color scheme to whatever you want, something different.

It does now:

senators_cap.jpg

I think the new Senators should adopt my cap. :D

I think so, too. Red white and blue are the only colors for a Washington baseball team, particularly in light of the fact that all the other teams in town that once had the colors either dumped them (Caps, Wizards/Bullets) or are dead (Freedom).

The Washington Federals..... then their opponents can say...The Feds are coming to town.

The Washington Federals, despite posting dreadful records in the USFL, had a great logo and good colors - green, black, silver and white. If the Colorado MLB team can revive an old NHL name, I see no reason why the DC team couldn't lift an unused USFL team name, and maybe even the logo and colors.

The Washington Federals.....  then their opponents can say...The Feds are coming to town.

The Washington Federals, despite posting dreadful records in the USFL, had a great logo and good colors - green, black, silver and white. If the Colorado MLB team can revive an old NHL name, I see no reason why the DC team couldn't lift an unused USFL team name, and maybe even the logo and colors.

This?

WashingtonFederals2.gif

I agree, green sounds good! There is no team in the NL with green!

Arizona? Florida?

Arizona may have some teal shade, but it's definitively not it's main color (purple and black).

Florida is definitively teal, but they almost have turned their back to teal and it's almost only black now.

FlaAri.JPG

Back to the minus nicks like Nats and Sens. The nick "Nats" are too used among the fans and press because that defined the Nationals and the Senators.

"Sens" wasn't too used, in fact, I never spotted that minus nick in all baseball material I saw in my whole life.

Uniform stuff. The TX Rangers when they played as visitors in a Old Time game, used to wear gray uniforms with "Washington" across their chests.

If baseball is back to Washington, the Rangers will start to use those horrible unis of the '70. :P

Washington cap. I think they will adopt the "W" of those '61-'71 caps because it is too dynamic and young.

ausieverscap.JPG

pennants.png

It's great to be young and a Giant! - Larry Doyle

Back to the minus nicks like Nats and Sens. The nick "Nats" are too used among the fans and press because that defined the Nationals and the Senators.

"Sens" wasn't too used, in fact, I never spotted that minus nick in all baseball material I saw in my whole life.

Uniform stuff. The TX Rangers when they played as visitors in a Old Time game, used to wear gray uniforms with "Washington" across their chests.

If baseball is back to Washington, the Rangers will start to use those horrible unis of the '70.  :P

Washington cap. I think they will adopt the "W" of those '61-'71 caps because it is too dynamic and young.

ausieverscap.JPG

That's a great cap. I've got a New Era just like it in my closet. All I can say is thank God there wasn't baseball in DC while I lived there -- I'd have never graduated law school!

Archived