infrared41's Best and Worst - 2018 NFL Week 3

infrared41

Echoing others, I think Dolphins-Raiders has to be up there. Miami's threads aren't as good as they once were but that's still a great color combo and they've always looked great in all-white IMO. Contrast that vibrant color scheme with Oakland's silver-and-black and you have a great-looking game.

I personally didn't think the Browns looked good, though, largely because those brown uniforms look black. Brown should be light enough to never be mistaken for black...especially when they're the only team in their division that doesn't include black in its color scheme and the only team in the league that DOES include brown.

4 hours ago, infrared41 said:

Colts - Eagles got strong consideration for the top spot this week. I really liked how it looked. In the end, the lack of sunshine was why I dropped it to #3. To each his own, I guess. 

yea thats an interesting approach. you give more points for sunny games? im all about the other direction; the rain, mud, snow, clouds (or night sky) really does it for me

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

2 hours ago, MCM0313 said:

Echoing others, I think Dolphins-Raiders has to be up there.  Miami's threads aren't as good as they once were but that's still a great color combo and they've always looked great in all-white IMO. Contrast that vibrant color scheme with Oakland's silver-and-black and you have a great-looking game.

Fair enough, but in my opinion, there's more to a great looking match up than just the color combos. If it were just about what colors look good together, my lists would be entirely different and teams like the Bengals, Bucs, Cardinals, etc., would be on the best list a lot more often. Long story short, the uniforms have to look good too. But that's just the way I look at it. As I say every week, your opinion may be different than mine and that's perfectly OK. B)

BB52Big.jpg

1 hour ago, BrandMooreArt said:

you give more points for sunny games?

Not exactly. It's more all things being equal, what makes game A better than game B to me? Sunshine is one of the things I'll use as a tiebreaker when I like two (or more) games equally. I don't have any type of points system or formula. I just go with the games I like the best. 

BB52Big.jpg

1 hour ago, infrared41 said:

Fair enough, but in my opinion, there's more to a great looking match up than just the color combos. If it were just about what colors look good together, my lists would be entirely different and teams like the Bengals, Bucs, Cardinals, etc., would be on the best list a lot more often. Long story short, the uniforms have to look good too. But that's just the way I look at it. As I say every week, your opinion may be different than mine and that's perfectly OK. B)

I guess my opinion of the Dolphins' uniforms is higher than yours. And, like you said, that's okay. I'm not wild about the number font, and I agree with you that their logo is weaker and more generic than the previous ones - it has no face! - but from a distance the logo problem isn't so evident, and the awesome color scheme tides over most of the rest of it for me.

...but I'm with you on the Bengals. My favorite team, one of my favorite helmets ever...and one of the worst uniforms in the league. :(

On 9/25/2018 at 6:53 PM, DouglasQuaid said:

I feel the exact opposite. I think this is the best possible road combo for the jags. I know it has its problems but its the best we will get until they change uniforms again. 

I like the teal pants, but I think it's the lack of teal on the jersey that doesn't make this look very good.

On 9/25/2018 at 7:05 PM, infrared41 said:

What don't you like about Colts - Eagles? 

When contrasted against the other games in the top 5, I don’t find the color pairings to be vibrant enough. 

If you hadn't noticed, Chawls loves his wrestling, whether it be real life or sim. :D

I strongly disagree with your mentality with the best uniforms.

Basically if there is a matchup with two traditional uniforms it will automatically be at or near the top, regardless of how well the uniforms go together, And modern uniforms (even if it's something like the Browns monochrome brown) are automatically at a disadvantage, regardless of how well the uniforms go together.

26 minutes ago, Ark said:

I strongly disagree with your mentality with the best uniforms.

Basically if there is a matchup with two traditional uniforms it will automatically be at or near the top, regardless of how well the uniforms go together, And modern uniforms (even if it's something like the Browns monochrome brown) are automatically at a disadvantage, regardless of how well the uniforms go together.

It's almost like it's his opinion.

9 hours ago, Ark said:

1. I strongly disagree with your mentality with the best uniforms.

2. Basically if there is a matchup with two traditional uniforms it will automatically be at or near the top, regardless of how well the uniforms go together, And modern uniforms (even if it's something like the Browns monochrome brown) are automatically at a disadvantage, regardless of how well the uniforms go together.

1. That's perfectly OK. 

2. That's not fair at all. Plenty of modern uniforms have made the best list over the years. The Vikings have spent the better part of every season since they switched in the top 3 every week. The current Seahawks have been on the best list more times than the Rams throwbacks have.  Even the lowly Bengals have made the best list a few times. Why? Because I liked how the match up looked. While we're here, define the rules of how well or how poorly uniforms "go together." 

BB52Big.jpg

2 hours ago, infrared41 said:

That's not fair at all. Plenty of modern uniforms have made the best list over the years. The Vikings have spent the better part of every season since they switched in the top 3 every week. The current Seahawks have been on the best list more times than the Rams throwbacks have.  Even the lowly Bengals have made the best list a few times. Why? Because I liked how the match up looked. While we're here, define the rules of how well or how poorly uniforms "go together." 

By go together I just mean how good they look together as opposed to by themselves. Like the Redskins and Packers both have great uniforms, but I don't think they feed off each other particularly well. On the other hand I  thought the 49ers-Lions game from last week looked fantastic. Obviously this is very subjective and something like weather is a huge factor. I personally like indoor matchups because many recent Super Bowls have been played indoors and indoor games remind me of the Super Bowl.

And I just said that modern uniforms (or games that involve modern uniforms) are at a disadvantage. And I would consider teams like the Vikings, Bills, the Lions, and even the Jaguars to have traditional uniforms. But I would consider the Eagles and the Texans uniforms to be modern, so I guess this is somewhat subjective too. 

Anyway, if you just made a list of your favorite and least favorite uniform matchups in the Weekly Uniform thread, I wouldn't see any reason to question your opinion. I'm only doing so because you have your own ongoing thread series.

Its kind of odd to to say that a uniform is “at a disadvantage” when it comes to these lists since uniforms are inanimate entities which are tangible only when rendered in fabric and could not have a care in the world regarding their placement or lack thereof on some online nerds opinion list. There are neither prizes to be won nor grief to be had; it’s just IR chattin’ up his opinions. No need to spin a ‘Uniforms’ Rights’ agenda from it.

1 hour ago, Ark said:

By go together I just mean how good they look together as opposed to by themselves. Like the Redskins and Packers both have great uniforms, but I don't think they feed off each other particularly well. On the other hand I  thought the 49ers-Lions game from last week looked fantastic. Obviously this is very subjective and something like weather is a huge factor. I personally like indoor matchups because many recent Super Bowls have been played indoors and indoor games remind me of the Super Bowl.

And I just said that modern uniforms (or games that involve modern uniforms) are at a disadvantage. And I would consider teams like the Vikings, Bills, the Lions, and even the Jaguars to have traditional uniforms. But I would consider the Eagles and the Texans uniforms to be modern, so I guess this is somewhat subjective too. 

Anyway, if you just made a list of your favorite and least favorite uniform matchups in the Weekly Uniform thread, I wouldn't see any reason to question your opinion. I'm only doing so because you have your own ongoing thread series.

1. I thought the Packers and Redskins uniforms "fed off" each other very well. On that one, we just saw it differently - that subjective thing coming into play. 

2. So did I. That's why that Lions - 49ers made the best list last week. 

3. Sorry, but I disagree and I think if you went back and looked, you'd find that it's simply not the case. I will admit that what I consider ugly uniforms are at a "disadvantage." I do find it amusing that the two uniforms you used as examples of modern are best list regulars. The Eagles and Texans both made the best list this week. Kinda kills the whole "modern uniforms are at a disadvantage" bit, doesn't it? 

4. The only reason you're questioning my opinion is because I have my own thread? Maybe I'm reading it wrong, but that doesn't make a bit of sense. Essentially, you're saying that if I did these exact same lists in the weekly thread, you'd be OK with them. No offense, but it sounds like you just don't like the fact that I don't post in the weekly thread. 

In any case, I appreciate your contribution to the thread this week. For the record, the reason I continue to do a separate thread each week is because numerous people have told me they like it and they look forward to it. In fact, you can find examples of exactly that in...you guessed it...the weekly uniform thread. B) 

Anyway, I hope this isn't your one and only visit to my weekly lists. Feel free to chime in every week. The more, the merrier.

BB52Big.jpg

I was called out for criticizing your opinion because "it's almost like it's your opinion," which you jokingly agreed with. The fact that you have an ongoing thread series that essentially has an official status makes it open to criticism. That's all I'm saying.

And again, I'm just saying that I think modern uniforms are at a disadvantage, not that they have no chance. And while I would consider the Eagles and Texans modern uniforms, some uniforms have more modern elements than others. If the Eagles went back to Kelly Green and got rid of the number drop shadows, that would be a much more traditional uniform. Same with the Texans and brighter shade of blue. Just to use another example, I think the Seahawks monochrome blue home uniforms is much more "modern" than their other uniform combos. And interestingly, that's the one people tend to hate. 

1 hour ago, Ark said:

I was called out for criticizing your opinion because "it's almost like it's your opinion," which you jokingly agreed with. The fact that you have an ongoing thread series that essentially has an official status makes it open to criticism. That's all I'm saying.

And again, I'm just saying that I think modern uniforms are at a disadvantage, not that they have no chance. And while I would consider the Eagles and Texans modern uniforms, some uniforms have more modern elements than others. If the Eagles went back to Kelly Green and got rid of the number drop shadows, that would be a much more traditional uniform. Same with the Texans and brighter shade of blue. Just to use another example, I think the Seahawks monochrome blue home uniforms is much more "modern" than their other uniform combos. And interestingly, that's the one people tend to hate. 

Isn't every post around here open to criticism? No matter which thread it's in? What makes me special? Anyway, I don't have a problem with your criticism. I think you're way off base, but I doubt I'm going to change your mind. I don't plan on catering my lists to fit your criteria. You don't like my lists or how I put them together? That's fine. Just remember, you're under no obligation to read them. If you want to disagree with my lists each week, I'd welcome the input. That said, I'm not interested in debating the merit of how I arrive at the lists each week. 

With regard to the rest of your post, to borrow a phrase, it's almost like it's your opinion. B)

EDIT: And as a mod, I can assure you that this thread does not have anything even resembling an "official status." 

BB52Big.jpg

14 hours ago, Ark said:

It's a long-running thread series, it's open to criticism.

It is, true.

It's just that when your criticism is "your opinion sucks, make it more like my opinion!" then it's like...what do you want?

1 hour ago, Ark said:

has an official status

What makes it official? Anyone can start a thread like this.

Hell, anyone who posts here opens their posts up to criticism.

My only point is that your specific criticism seemed kind of hollow.
"Make your opinion more like my opinion."

Which isn't really all that constructive, as far as criticism goes.

16 hours ago, Chawls said:

When contrasted against the other games in the top 5, I don’t find the color pairings to be vibrant enough. 

Fair enough and I get what you're saying. The dreary conditions were what kept that game from being in the #1 or #2 slot. I really liked the look of that game. Way more than I thought I would, actually. 

BB52Big.jpg

Archived