Another Theft Case

Mac the Knife

Mad Mac, I think we gave them a calmer response because we were not sure as to whom got the logos as opposed to the IHA where we know who did it. I guess after the IHA, were did not have enough energy to get outraged again. At least, this league is in existence. :D

Fair point. Infringement is still infringment in my book, however.

I totally agree. It is infringement.

I saw, I came, I left.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thats without question a total rip-off.

Sounds like you are taking the correct measures. It is amazing to me that the dude would try to call your bluff by saying, Prove It.

Amazing.

NCFA Sunset Beach Tech - Octopi

ΓΔΒ!

Going to college gets you closer to the real world, kind of like climbing a tree gets you closer to the moon.

"...a nice illustration of what you get when skill, talent, and precedent are deducted from 'creativity.' " - James Howard Kunstler

Here's the three graphics that tell the tale:

What the team has plastered all over its web site:

mm1.GIF

Our original, circa 2000:

raven01.jpg

Modified for use on our team's hats:

raven02.jpg

They look nothing alike. :rolleyes:

MouthoftheSouth.jpg

I don't speak for democrats, democrats don't speak for me.

Sounds like you are taking the correct measures. It is amazing to me that the dude would try to call your bluff by saying, Prove It.

Well, in his defense I haven't shown him these as yet... partially because I'm half-afraid they'll somehow rip these ones off as well.

I was planning on doing some sort of demo as part of a telephone conversation with him if/when I get his number.

nav-logo.png

You'd think with all of the people who make logos - whether it's recreationally or professionally - that they couldn't find someone who'd give them consent for a decent logo?

It was a great design by the way. I hope this all gets sorted out.

I know a pretty good amount about the law, if anyone needs a tip.

I just got off the phone with one of their reps. "It's absolutely, 100% your bird," was one of several direct quotes I got during the conversation. She was nice; as near as she could tell, one of their ex-players brought them the design, saying they had done the work. I've asked them to investigate that to see who exactly the responsible party is/was.

They're having an emergency board meeting tonight to "discuss things." Based on the conversation I had with the team rep, my suspicion is this will be wrapped up fairly quickly after that.

nav-logo.png

Well, a couple of things to keep in mind here...

(1) Other sites may have been given the logo by the Marauders, in which case the other sites may have unwittingly used it to relay information about the team to their audiences. But if you have knowledge of any specific uses, please, PM me! :)

(2a) We've offered to allow them to license the logo at what I for one consider a reasonable flat fee, and yesterday I offered them the opportunity to license it for a smaller flat fee and a percentage of any sales of merchandise that carry the logo. So Chris, if they agree to it they may not need to change everything.

(2b) Will this title game be on TV anywhere up there? If so, I'd love to have a tape of it, just in case...

(3) In my next communication with them, assuming everything goes as I expect, I'll alert them that (i) at least half of their league appears to be in some form of copyright violation, and (ii) there is a dedicated group of logo designers who are searching for the opportunity to do work, at a reasonable cost to get their work noticed, and that if they'd like I can put anyone from the league in touch with them.

Who knows? Maybe you guys'll get some business out of this!

nav-logo.png

Well, a couple of things to keep in mind here...

(1) Other sites may have been given the logo by the Marauders, in which case the other sites may have unwittingly used it to relay information about the team to their audiences. But if you have knowledge of any specific uses, please, PM me! :)

(2a) We've offered to allow them to license the logo at what I for one consider a reasonable flat fee, and yesterday I offered them the opportunity to license it for a smaller flat fee and a percentage of any sales of merchandise that carry the logo. So Chris, if they agree to it they may not need to change everything.

(2b) Will this title game be on TV anywhere up there? If so, I'd love to have a tape of it, just in case...

(3) In my next communication with them, assuming everything goes as I expect, I'll alert them that (i) at least half of their league appears to be in some form of copyright violation, and (ii) there is a dedicated group of logo designers who are searching for the opportunity to do work, at a reasonable cost to get their work noticed, and that if they'd like I can put anyone from the league in touch with them.

Who knows? Maybe you guys'll get some business out of this!

aces to this......it's funny how some people think logos just happen.....like they were hatched.....a while back i did a logo for the hockey team i play on.......I was websurfing when i saw that a Jr. A team in my area had changed their name to that of our team.....i thought, let's take a look and see what image they created......shockly, I discovered it was my logo-even the same pantones......long story short.........the team bought the logo from me and then sued the uniform manufacturer who sold it to them originally (the same group that did my team's uniforms -click, the light goes on) when i first confronted the GM he said that I may have created the baby but they have adopted it.....he was almost in tears..........now that freaked me out

Well... definately freaky... but i guess the good sign is that he actually CARED about his identity!

NCFA Sunset Beach Tech - Octopi

ΓΔΒ!

Going to college gets you closer to the real world, kind of like climbing a tree gets you closer to the moon.

"...a nice illustration of what you get when skill, talent, and precedent are deducted from 'creativity.' " - James Howard Kunstler

Archived