Another Theft Case

Mac the Knife

Guys,

Break-wood's sig banner inadvertently brought to my attention the theft of a piece of my organization's intellectual property: specifically, a "Fighting Raven" logo which since 1999 we've used in conjunction with our Raleigh Ravens men's softball team.

The culprits in this case are a Canadian semi-pro football team called the Milton Marauders. Their web site is www.miltonmarauders.com should anyone wish to take a look.

I've sent a cease-and-desist e-mail to just about everyone I can with the team and the league, and will be calling my attorney on Monday to prepare a formal cease-and-desist letter to be sent if they don't comply within 15 days.

Unfortunately my attorney isn't a guy who specializes in intellectual property and international copyright law. Anyone know anyone good? If the team doesn't cease and desist within 15 days, I'm going to get really litigious, really fast.

nav-logo.png

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
KJ?

Do you have any contacts within the league I could reach on this? I'd rather try discussion rather than litigation, at least for now.

I actually handled the whole thing for him... a good friend of mine seems to have a lot of ties with the league, as well as being a former player in the league ... I'll see if I can talk to him about this.

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

Being a CFL fan I spotted the Maddog right away--but was unaware the Milton Marauders ripped that off--that's where I first saw the logo.

(As for the MAddogs logo--is it possible they got the rights to use it, as MadMAc's group got the rights for the Baltimore Stallions logo?--and that logo is much nicer than the Maddoggs)

Comic Sans walks into a bar, and the bartender says, "Sorry, we don't serve your type here."

Sue those damn bastards for half of EVERYTHING they've got (mimics Tony Kornheiser) TO THE FULLEST EXTENT OF THE LAW!

"I better go take a long walk off a short pier or something."

Some people on this bolard have told me to do just that.

My "Ron Mexico" alias is "Jon Tobago".

So I didn't put up the words "Prosicute them". It was not appropiate for this one, suing them is perfect.

"I better go take a long walk off a short pier or something."

Some people on this bolard have told me to do just that.

My "Ron Mexico" alias is "Jon Tobago".

I've contacted an Ottawa law firm that specializes in intellectual property and international copyright law. We'll see what happens.

I find it interesting though. The IHA brought a swarm of protest from those on this board virtually overnight, while here there seems to be a comparatively calm response. Is it the feeling that since they're a semi-pro outfit (or, presumably so anyway) they should be given more leeway or something?

nav-logo.png

So I didn't put up the words "Prosicute them". It was not appropiate for this one, suing them is perfect.

Good point.

Mad Mac, I think we gave them a calmer response because we were not sure as to whom got the logos as opposed to the IHA where we know who did it. I guess after the IHA, were did not have enough energy to get outraged again. At least, this league is in existence. :D

I saw, I came, I left.

I've contacted an Ottawa law firm that specializes in intellectual property and international copyright law. We'll see what happens.

I find it interesting though. The IHA brought a swarm of protest from those on this board virtually overnight, while here there seems to be a comparatively calm response. Is it the feeling that since they're a semi-pro outfit (or, presumably so anyway) they should be given more leeway or something?

No, I hope not....how can we help?.....maybe if we e-mail the league and team in protest it might help...I live in ontario and this is the first I have heard of this league..bush league for sure.......

has the team agreed to stop using the logos?

does anyone out there know some one from the old Maddog ownership group and might inform them about this?

I will phone and complain if you think it will help...let me know

what is the Ottawa firm you are dealing with?

Would you mind posting both your logo, and their rip-off? I'm not familiar.

Though, that Titan's rip off is blatent.

We are here for ya, Mac.. keep us up to date!

NCFA Sunset Beach Tech - Octopi

ΓΔΒ!

Going to college gets you closer to the real world, kind of like climbing a tree gets you closer to the moon.

"...a nice illustration of what you get when skill, talent, and precedent are deducted from 'creativity.' " - James Howard Kunstler

I wasn't posting in this thread 'cause I don't think the thread itself did a lot of good last time. It was harassing the guy responsible that forced the changes. My thoughts on the matter haven't changed and it pisses me off just as much to see it happen again but since I'm not involved in it as a designer I decided it wasn't my place to make a big deal out of it.

Well, I'm not getting personal about this - after all, its technically my organization's design and not my own, though I was the one who originally commissioned it (through CCSLC, I might add).

The work by the way was done by Doug Fairchild of DAF Designs in Urbandale, Iowa. He did a helluva job - so good in fact that we had to stop using the design on our web site due to a previous case where someone had used it without permission.

Here's the three graphics that tell the tale:

What the team has plastered all over its web site:

mm1.GIF

Our original, circa 2000:

raven01.jpg

Modified for use on our team's hats:

raven02.jpg

nav-logo.png

Mad Mac, I think we gave them a calmer response because we were not sure as to whom got the logos as opposed to the IHA where we know who did it. I guess after the IHA, were did not have enough energy to get outraged again. At least, this league is in existence. :D

Fair point. Infringement is still infringment in my book, however.

nav-logo.png

has the team agreed to stop using the logos?

what is the Ottawa firm you are dealing with?

(1) They have not. The response I received today (via their message forum on the team's web site) was from a wide receivers' coach stating that they'd like proof. I replied to the fellow asking him to e-mail me with his telephone number, so I can call and detail the situation.

(2) Though I haven't formally retained them as yet, I'm speaking with an attorney from the firm of Bowley Kerr Collins out of Ottawa. So far I've been advised to let the 15 days run its course and see what happens; which I'll do.

nav-logo.png

Archived