Nike Officially Announced as MLB On-Field Uniform Provider

BJ Sands

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply
31 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

You don’t have to love the Yankees to hate this development. 

And yes, a Nike swoosh on the front is less obtrusive than an Under Armour bug on the front.   But you know what’s even less obtrusive than both?  A logo on the sleeve. ;) 

If there needs to be one, and I'm not naive enough to think that in 2019 anyone is passing up that kind of money, I'd rather the advertisement replace the batterman logo on the back collar.  

That was such an unused area in major-American sports jerseys or... well, ever until CCM/Koho moved their logo there in early 2000s.  As much as I dislike it on hockey sweaters, because the yoke is usually a part of the design and the ad infringes on that, I think it's ideal for the other sports.  Of course, infringing on the uniform design is kind of the point of CCM/Koho putting their mark there.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

17 hours ago, Marlins93 said:

I don't think it's unhinged or an overreaction to say that the Nike swoosh on the front of the classic, clean cut NY Yankees home uniform would not have the same innocuous presence as on a Penn State wrestling singlet. Most college teams (of all sports) and most professional teams for that matter don't have the same iconic brandings, spanning generations, that many MLB teams have. So I take quite a bit of exception to the comparisons drawn above.

So while it might be "minimally invasive" in a radically different context (Penn Sate wrestling), that doesn't guarantee that it works for the Yankees or even most MLB teams.

I would argue there’s nearly as much sanctimony woven into Penn State’s athletics identity as the Yankees, and honestly don’t recall anyone having issues when they put the swoosh on the football whenever that NCAA rule changed.

sig_gai.png

warriorbannerssmall.png

2 hours ago, Camden Crazy said:

I would argue there’s nearly as much sanctimony woven into Penn State’s athletics identity as the Yankees, and honestly don’t recall anyone having issues when they put the swoosh on the football whenever that NCAA rule changed.

You don’t recall anyone having issues because it was 1994-ish, and there was no uniform message board. I know for a fact that Paterno had resisted putting it on the uniform for as long as he could, but I think the move to Big 10 forced them into it - either that or the $$$ became too much to turn down. 

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

4 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

You don’t recall anyone having issues because it was 1994-ish, and there was no uniform message board. I know for a fact that Paterno had resisted putting it on the uniform for as long as he could, but I think the move to Big 10 forced them into it - either that or the $$$ became too much to turn down. 

Your post is totally accurate, but I always chuckle a little when I think about Paterno taking the moral high ground on something. 

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

On 6/13/2019 at 4:29 PM, pianoknight said:

Your post is totally accurate, but I always chuckle a little when I think about Paterno taking the moral high ground on something. 

Yeah that was gonna be my response but you beat me to it he’s scum

sig_gai.png

warriorbannerssmall.png

Archived