MLS Nashville unveils logo

henburg

On 10/23/2019 at 1:33 PM, gosioux76 said:

Another interesting footnote to that chapter in MLS history. This 2006 Houston Chronicle story cited anonymous sources with inside info that the team indicating what it's permanent name would be:

A person close to the situation said "Lonestar" or "Lone Star" looks to be the team's next name. Choices such as Apollos or Mustangs also are being considered, the person said.

https://www.chron.com/sports/dynamo/article/Houston-soccer-team-will-86-its-1836-name-1881955.php

To me, Apollos kinda feels like the perfect balance between standard American naming conventions and global naming conventions — it evokes that Bohemians or Corinthians vibe that's in a way that's American.

This is why I like names like Timbers or Whitecaps — they feel like they can be classic (e.g. not a "fierce" animal), but are also unique and fit in with our idea of how sports teams are named.

6fQjS3M.png

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 10/23/2019 at 12:02 PM, Bucfan56 said:

Dynamo isn’t a very good name, but MAN is it better than 1836 would’ve been. Reno’s dumbass USL team is called Reno 1868 and it’s basically just another reason to mock them. 

Could be worse. San Diego’s NISA team is named 1904. Which almost everyone assumes is a year and a sideways reference to Anchorman. 

spacer.png

1 hour ago, Gothamite said:

That's because it is absolutely a sideways reference to Anchorman.  

Despite their repeated denials that it represents the letters SD 🤔

I agree though, that’s where it’s from and when everyone told them it was stupid they denied denied denied.

On 10/30/2019 at 12:38 PM, bosrs1 said:

Could be worse. San Diego’s NISA team is named 1904. Which almost everyone assumes is a year and a sideways reference to Anchorman. 

spacer.png

23 hours ago, Gothamite said:

That's because it is absolutely a sideways reference to Anchorman.  

UeMmj72.gif

I think I've found my Fußball team.

"If things have gone wrong, I'm talking to myself, and you've got a wet towel wrapped around your head."

31 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

I think they were embarrassed that they didn't get the joke.  Fan submissions can be a double-edged sword when somebody sneaks in a reference and makes you look like fools.  But doubling down isn't usually the best option.

Having heard their owners you’re probably right 😂

I mean at least they didn’t get snookered into throwing a female whale reference in.  

1 minute ago, Gothamite said:

The Supporters Group should wear German clothing.  :D 

They should... instead they went with “Black Plague” 🙄

The USL Supporter Group has a unique if unusual name “The Locals”

On 11/1/2019 at 12:40 PM, bosrs1 said:

They should... instead they went with “Black Plague”

14 hours ago, xbhaskarx said:

Are they saying their own team is a bunch of diseased rats?

that's metal af

spacer.png

4 hours ago, WBeltz said:

spacer.png

I mean they’ve renamed themselves this week. They’re “The Outsiders” now. Seems even the supporters group knows 1904 is doomed and are setting themselves up to be an alternative to “The Locals” supports group of San Diego Loyal.

Archived