Redesigning Minnesota High School Hockey

Section30

Next up we have the first private school of this thread, Hill-Murray.

Hill-Murray School

Nickname: Pioneers

Enrollment: 850

Rival(s): St. Thomas Academy, White Bear Lake, Mahtomedi, North, Edina, Stillwater

Class: AA

State Titles: 5 (1970, 1972, 1983, 1991, 2008)

State Tournament Appearances: 42 (62*, 63*, 64*, 65*, 66*, 67*, 68*, 69*, 70*, 71*, 72*, 73*, 74*, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 931, 92, 93, 97, 99, 00, 02, 06, 07, 08, 09, 10, 12, 13, 15, 17, 18)

* Means Private School Tournament

Home:

I think Hill-Murray already has it right with their current home, almost. I removed the black under arms and changed the helmet and breezers back to black so it isn't just a North Dakota rip off.

Away:

The away again based on their current away, but I removed the outline around the shoulders and changed the logo to the script from the home. I decided on making the road black because when I think of Hill-Murray I think of black and white with green accents having seen them with these jerseys for years in the state tourney. 

Alternate:

The alternate is a throwback to what they wore in the 70s when they won their first state titles. It features a unique "Pioneers" script on the front and brings back gold while dropping black. I was going between this and a green jersey and decided on this because it is cool looking, and it can be worn at home.

0DMHeuO.png

Up next will be the Mahtomedi Zephyrs.

Let me know what you think, comments are appreciated!

• Replies 320
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, EJaws said:

I've always liked Sibleys colors and the script on their new gold jerseys is fantastic. Im a sucker for script fonts.The current HM jerseys are copies of the current University of North Dakota set, but with a really clean script font on the home jersey, personally id love to see it on the away jersey. As much as I love the black ALT that HM uses, a few years ago they had a jersey that was all white and had a script "Hill" on the front. Id love to see what you could do with that.

Hills big rival first and foremost is White Bear Lake. Edina is another big one just because everyone in the state sees the two as cake eaters. And recently Stillwater has become a rival over the past few years.

#RollPiosForever #HailHill

I got the notification you commented this as I was about to post my redesign, funny how smart minds think alike! I assume you're referring to this jersey when you talk about the all white with Hill script. I thought about using that one, but ultimately picked the green and gold one because this one is just too plain, the only color would be on the script and numbers.

Dude stop. The away jersey is freaking perfect. You can end your project here. As much as I love the green lids, jersey, and breezers look, it just made them look like green beans. God this thread is awesome!

So Maht is good  just about in every sport, so they rival with just about everyone in the Metro East.Recently they have been called the "East Sides Edina." Stillwater is also a big rival because they share a hockey rink with them. 

Here we have our fist Class A team of the thread, Class A schools are just smaller than Class AA. Here are the Mahtomedi (Mah-toe-me-die) Zephyrs, home of the legend Dallas Duckson and his flow.

Image result for dallas duckson

Mahtomedi High School

Nickname: Zephyrs

Enrollment: 1,164

Rival(s): St. Thomas Academy,  Stillwater, Hill-Murray, North

Class: A

State Titles: 0

State Tournament Appearances: 11 (1992, 1994, 1997, 1998, 2001, 2009, 2010, 2015, 2017, 2018, 2019)

Home:

Why fix what isn't broken? I know it'd just the old Bruins style, but it fits them so well! The Zephyrs current uniform is one of the better looks in the State imo, but I did make a few tweaks. I removed the unnecessary second blue outline to the "Zephyrs" lettering and numbers, and fixed the stripe thickness on the socks, and a minor detail is changing the pant logo to the school logo rather than the Minnesota M. I removed the M from all of these jerseys, I know they have used it for years, but I prefer their unique Zephyr logo to the M that is used by a lot of other teams.

Away:

Again, why get rid of what's already a great look, I just made some adjustments. I kept the shoulders empty like on the home, and put that beautiful Zephyr logo on the front of the sweater. I also added a blue space between the gold and whit eon the numbers to make it easier to read and better mimic the logo.

Alternate:

Throwback time! I was looking for any inspiration for a third jersey and I stumbled upon this video that was made for Hockey Day MN a year or two ago. I it it shows an old image of a Mahtomedi goalie with the beautiful script Zephyrs and simple striping that I remade for the alternate. He is wearing a blue road jersey in the picture so I'm not sure if this exact jersey actually ever existed, but I think it is a fine jersey either way.

0KFuQEw.png

Next up will be the North Polars.

Again Maht looks incredible. I like that you put the pronunciation of the city/school in the intro, you should keep doing that for difficult city/school names. I feel like you are using the script font too much on the ALTs. When I think of an alternate jersey I think of something outside of the teams norm. I'd like to see you try that out.

For North, I know they have a rivalry with South St Paul, I guess you could count Hill because the schools are less than 3 miles away from each other.

I personally love the script-throwback alternates. I think that especially for something as historic as the Minnesota state high school tourney, alts should be more throwback based...

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

2 hours ago, EJaws said:

Again Maht looks incredible. I like that you put the pronunciation of the city/school in the intro, you should keep doing that for difficult city/school names. I feel like you are using the script font too much on the ALTs. When I think of an alternate jersey I think of something outside of the teams norm. I'd like to see you try that out.

For North, I know they have a rivalry with South St Paul, I guess you could count Hill because the schools are less than 3 miles away from each other.

You would think North and South St Paul, but as a Packer alum I can assure you they weren't at all.  We were rivals with Sibley, Simley and STA for everything and Mahtomedi for football.

This thread inspired me to see what SSP looked like these days and I was somewhat disappointed with the look they've gone in bringing back the Athletic Gold throwback color.  I always liked that while I was there we were maroon and white with black and silver accents.  The Gold made it too Gopher like.  Interested to see more of these, this is a great series so far!

16 hours ago, EJaws said:

Some teams I will be doing more "out there" alternates, but for teams with a deeper history I like to use throwback style alternates because of essentially what @chcarlson23 said.

14 hours ago, lbj273 said:

You would think North and South St Paul, but as a Packer alum I can assure you they weren't at all.  We were rivals with Sibley, Simley and STA for everything and Mahtomedi for football.

This thread inspired me to see what SSP looked like these days and I was somewhat disappointed with the look they've gone in bringing back the Athletic Gold throwback color.  I always liked that while I was there we were maroon and white with black and silver accents.  The Gold made it too Gopher like.  Interested to see more of these, this is a great series so far!

Thanks for the feedback, I also am not a big fan of them bringing gold back, you'll probably like what I have in store for the Packers when the time comes...

Next up are the North Polars from North St. Paul.

North High School

Nickname: Polars

Enrollment: 1,774

Rival(s): Hill-Murray, Mahtomedi

State Tournament Appearances: 4 (1961, 1967, 1970, 1981)

Home:

The biggest change to their home uni is the reinstatement of the angled "North" text. This was used by them back in the 60s and was the best jersey logo I think they've used, I think it fits their old school jerseys better than their current jerseys Another somewhat big change was in the striping, rather than being a direct copy of Detroit, I gave moved the white stripe further up the arm and added another white stripe at the cuff. I think this kind of gives off a retro vibe, almost like the barber pole jerseys Ottawa used not long ago. I also changed the helmets back to white because I jut like how they looked more than the red, and I also put a white stripe on the breezers.

Away:

Similar to the new home, the striping is a modified version of the Red Wings classic jerseys. The biggest change I made was keeping the shoulders white to match the home.

Alternate:

It seems like the Polars have essentially used the Red Wings copies their whole existence, except for a few years in these... So I just made up a new alternate. I brought the skating bear back to the front of the jersey and added black to the stripes. Black is one of their school colors, I just decided not to use it in the main sets, plus I think it looks better with the bear. The striping is just two thick stripes, one red and one black with a slim white line between. I tried to keep it simple while still being different for them.

OHpIkfg.png

Next up will be Simley High School

My god, every time you release a new team it better than the last. The "Polars" wordmark is so clean, it gives the jerseys a modern look, while the stripes give it an old school feel. Literally perfect. And now to the ALT, . . . its perfect! Its different, partially outside the box, but still fits with the other two jerseys.

The only thing i have to say about Simley is that they are a program on the rise, and their rink is odd with the benches on opposite sides of the ice.

6 minutes ago, EJaws said:

My god, every time you release a new team it better than the last. The "Polars" wordmark is so clean, it gives the jerseys a modern look, while the stripes give it an old school feel. Literally perfect. And now to the ALT, . . . its perfect! Its different, partially outside the box, but still fits with the other two jerseys.

The only thing i have to say about Simley is that they are a program on the rise, and their rink is odd with the benches on opposite sides of the ice.

Thank you! And I'm well aware of how weird their arena is growing up in Rosemount and playing at IGH a lot as a younger player.

Up next we have Simley High School, located in Inver Grove Heights.

Simley High School

Nickname: Spartans

Enrollment: 1,101

Rival(s): South St. Paul

State Tournament Appearances: 2 (1996, 2003)

Home:

Ok, so Simley's current duds are just a direct rip off of the Rangers so I wanted to do something completely different. I ended up going with something based on what they used in the late 90s. I really like the simple, classic, striping with the arm numbers in the stripes so I went with it and used the Michigan State logo on the front.

Away:

The Spartans current away is also a direct Rangers copy so I took the base color (blue) and made it fit the new home I made.

Alternate:

For the first time I made a third jersey that is almost the same as the home and away. This is just a red version of the home and away, but with white logos and numbers outlined in blue for easier visibility. This uniform would be red from head to toe so I could see it being used for rivalry games where fans are encouraged to wear red for a red out or something along those lines. IDK, I just thought this jersey style would look good with all 3 color combinations so I went with that.

N1ixTRn.png 

Up next will be South St. Paul

On 2/25/2019 at 4:24 PM, Section30 said:

Next up we've got the defending champs who just got upset in the section semi finals, the Minnetonka Skippers. 

Image result for prince minnetonka gif

Minnetonka High School

Nickname: Skippers

Enrollment: 3,311

Rival(s): Edina, Hopkins, Wayzata, Eden Prairie

State Titles: 1 (2018)

Home:

The home is essentially just last years home uniform, the most successful look they've had as they won their only state title with it.The jersey is all white with a thick blue chest stripe, the arms mimic this. This is the first appearance of the Gopher's M logo, but it is also probably my favorite in the state. I tried to go simple with this jersey so I removed the unnecessary chest number. I think this is a better look for the Skippers than the Toronto rip offs they switched to.

Away:

This is just the home jersey color swapped.

Alternate:

I brought back the uniform used in the early 2010's. I thought it was a great "old school" look and I loved the Skippers script.

jgD9P8u.png

Up next will be the Wayzata Trojans to round out the Lake Conference.

Don't like Minnetonka's current uniforms. These are much much much better!

AmPJ0Ty.png 

Up next we have the historic South St. Paul Packers.

South Saint Paul Secondary

Nickname: Packers

Enrollment: 1,766

Rival(s): Simley, St. Thomas Academy, Henry Sibley

State Tournament Appearances: 28 (47, 48, 50, 53, 54, 55, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 65, 66, 68, 69, 72, 77, 78, 80, 81, 86, 87, 89, 90, 94, 96, 04)

Home:

THROWBACKS! For the Packers I went with a direct throwback to the 50s. Maroon and white, no gold, no silver, no black. This might actually be my favorite uniform of the series thus far.

Away:

Take the home and flip the colors, still looks great IMO.

Alternate:

Ok, so I had no idea what to do for an alternate for the Packers. I thought about using a couple different throwbacks like this one with that awesome script, or this one that was ahead of the curve on chest stripes. Ultimately I just made a new jersey all together. Nothing fancy, white base with maroon shoulders and a a maroon stripe, the modified Bulls logo on the chest. I thought this kinda balances out the stripe heavy main set, while still being interesting and fitting the team.

peDmqrO.png

Next up will be St. Thomas Academy.

When I was trying to design Simley, I tried to do the same thing, try to not make them look like NHL ripoffs. This was basically the same thing i would come up with. Well done. SSP looks phenomenal, i hate their current look, but these are great.

For STA, I know they have a grey ALT, but id love to see something different. Show me what you can do!

Love SSP!  One minor nitpick is I'd personally prefer a simple shoulder yoke on the home/away despite how it is being the proper throwback look.  I'm a sucker for the diagonal wordmark on a hockey jersey though, I would definitely rock one of these in a heartbeat as is though!!

Archived