Redesigning Minnesota High School Hockey

Section30

12 hours ago, EJaws said:

When I was trying to design Simley, I tried to do the same thing, try to not make them look like NHL ripoffs. This was basically the same thing i would come up with. Well done. SSP looks phenomenal, i hate their current look, but these are great.

For STA, I know they have a grey ALT, but id love to see something different. Show me what you can do!

10 hours ago, lbj273 said:

Love SSP!  One minor nitpick is I'd personally prefer a simple shoulder yoke on the home/away despite how it is being the proper throwback look.  I'm a sucker for the diagonal wordmark on a hockey jersey though, I would definitely rock one of these in a heartbeat as is though!!

Thank you guys for the kind words. @lbj273 it's funny you mention the shoulder yoke, the stripes in it are actually one of my favorite things about the throwbacks 😂

• Replies 320
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Next up is our second private school of the thread, and the only military academy in the state, St. Thomas Academy

Saint Thomas Academy

Nickname: Cadets

Enrollment: 618

Rival(s): Henry Sibley, Hill-Murray, South St. Paul, Mahotmedi, Cretin-Derham Hall

Class: AA

State Titles: 7 (1951*, 1955*, 2006 A, 2008 A, 2011 A, 2012 A, 2013 A)

State Tournament Appearances: 29 (49*, 50*, 51*, 52*, 53*, 54*, 55*, 56*, 57*, 58*, 60*, 62*, 64*, 68*, 69*, 70*, 71*, 99 A, 05 A, 06 A, 07 A, 08 A, 11 A, 12 A, 13 A, 15, 17, 18, 19)

* Means Private School Tournament, A means Class A tournament.

Home:

I tried to keep it simple for STA, I brought back a modified version of their old uniforms, I cleaned it up a little bit and made the stripes bolder. Their current home is pretty boring in my opinion.

Away:

The away is actually pretty close to their current away, but I made it an exact color swap of the new home and changed the collar to blue. The biggest change is putting the "ST' on the front of the sweater rather than the script.

Alternate:

The alternate is pretty straight forward, it is the same as the new home except for a few changes. The beautiful script from their current away's is on the front of the jersey with the "ST" on the shoulders, replacing the school crest. And because STA is the only military academy in the state I thought why not do something a little different for the alternate, why not give it some camo. The Cadets have already worn camo a couple years ago for hockey day, but that jersey is a mess, the camo is reserved for the stripes only on this alternate which I think gives it something different while not being too busy either.

ex4os75.png

Next up will be the Tartan Titans to round out the Metro East Conference.

Let me know what you think, comments are appreciated!

DUDE YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THAT ALT IS AMAZING! I was at the 2015 Hockey Day game between HM & STA. I actually own the HM Hockey Day jersey that is pictured below. This last fall they were auctioned off for a fundraiser and I had to get one. spacer.png

2 hours ago, EJaws said:

DUDE YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THAT ALT IS AMAZING! I was at the 2015 Hockey Day game between HM & STA. I actually own the HM Hockey Day jersey that is pictured below. This last fall they were auctioned off for a fundraiser and I had to get one. spacer.png

The idea was good with hockey day being on a military base, but the execution was horrible. It was hard to watch IMO and the logos and numbers were almost invisible. I'm sure it'd look good up close, but in action they both just looked like a big blur.

5 hours ago, Section30 said:

The idea was good with hockey day being on a military base, but the execution was horrible. It was hard to watch IMO and the logos and numbers were almost invisible. I'm sure it'd look good up close, but in action they both just looked like a big blur.

Those were terrible looking games...

And could I request the Suburban East conference next? Home of the class 4AA champions, the White Bear Lake Bears?!?

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

Rounding out the Metro East Conference we have the Tartan Titans from Oakdale. Tartan was hard for me because I really had nothing to go off of. They historically have not been very good, and their colors and logo are pretty... uninteresting IMO.

Tartan Senior High School

Nickname: Titans

Enrollment: 1,651

Rival(s): 

State Titles: 0

State Tournament Appearances: 2 (2004, 2005)

Home:

The Titans current home is just a jets template with their logo on the front. There were a couple of things I wanted to do here. 1. Add more blue 2. try a more "modern" stripe style and 3. include the silver from the logo as an accent color. I settled on something kind of like the Penguins jerseys, but different. The upper arm is blue then there is a think silver then thin white stripe and then the bottom of the sleeve is black. This is mimicked on the hem.

Away:

The away is the same as the home except the body of the jersey is now black, the striping remains the same, causing the black stripe on the hem to disappear as well as the black outlines on the logo and numbers.

Alternate:

The alternate is a blue throwback based off of what they wore in their first season. I found this link with a bunch of old pictures and players, I saw the original jersey and thought it could be a good throwback.

AdOA3wa.png

That concludes the Metro East Conference, next up will be the Suburban East Conference, beginning with Cretin-Derham Hall.

Leading off the Suburban East Conference is Cretin-Derham Hall, a private school in St. Paul.

Cretin-Derham Hall High School

Nickname: Raiders

Enrollment: 1,130

Rival(s): St. Thomas Academy

State Titles: 12 (1949*, 1950*, 1952*, 1953*, 1954*, 1956*, 1957*, 1958*, 1959*, 1960*, 1963*, 2006)

State Tournament Appearances: 28 (49*, 50*, 51*, 52*, 53*, 54*, 55*, 56*, 57*, 58*, 59*, 60*, 61*, 62*, 63*, 64*, 65*, 66*, 67*, 68*, 69*, 70*, 71*, 73*, 74*, 88, 06, 09)

* Means Private School Tournament

Home:

Cretin's current home is alright, but I thought it could be improved on. I based this around their current away's but made the body white and put the school logo on the front rather than "Raiders"

Away:

The Away remains the same as their current uni except the school logo sits on the front rather than the Kings logo rip off they currently use (which is really ugly IMO) and the numbers no longer have outlines. The home and away look very similar to the Penguins due to the colors and striping, but the striping is different, so it isn't a templated design.

Alternate:

The alternate keeps the same striping as the home and away but it is gold, because of this it makes the striping look different while actually being the same as the others. Rather than the school logo on the front I decided to put the initials of the school "CDH" arched on the chest to give it something a little different.

iAO2uBy.png

Next up will be the East Ridge Raptors

Man please do the NW Suburban next.  I'd love to see what you'd do for my Crimson! I'd also be amped to see what you'd come up with as a fauxback for MG since we only opened in 1996.

My only request is please make crimson the actual primary color unlike the school has been doing lately making all our home jerseys black... totally backwards.

2 hours ago, TrentTheTrent said:

Man please do the NW Suburban next.  I'd love to see what you'd do for my Crimson! I'd also be amped to see what you'd come up with as a fauxback for MG since we only opened in 1996.

My only request is please make crimson the actual primary color unlike the school has been doing lately making all our home jerseys black... totally backwards.

Sure thing, I can do that conference next!

Next up we have one of the newest schools in the state, East Ridge, founded in 2009.

East Ridge High School

Nickname: Raptors

Enrollment: 1,801

Rival(s): Woodbury, Park

State Tournament Appearances: 0

Home:

I actually couldn't finad any pictures of the Raptors current home's, but I really like the look of their current away jerseys so that was what I based this off of. Simple striping with black shoulders. Their logos are... not good, so I decided to only use the "ER" logo and sparingly, only putting it on the shoulders and breezers. "Raptors" is diagonal down the front of the jersey.

Away:

The away jersey doesn't change much from their current look. The biggest change is putting the team name on the front rather than the horrible Kings style logo they currently use.

Alternate:

This is based on an alternate they used a couple years ago. It is gold with no white, the stripes are the same as the home and away and the ER logo is on the front of the sweater. The tv numbers are moved to the shoulders which are black.

7cgP1ou.png

Next up will be Forest Lake.

Next up are the Forest Lake Rangers.

Forest Lake Area High School

Nickname: Rangers

Enrollment: 1,475

Rival(s): Stillwater, Roseville

Home:

The Rangers current home jerseys are an out of balance mess. Way too much yellow and not enough maroon. And the script... this is coming from a guy who loves nothing more than a good old school scripted hockey jersey... is horrible. So I essentially started from scratch. I based the striping loosely off of this old jersey that I found online. The Forest Lake "FL" logo resides on the chest with the horseman on the shoulders and breezers.

Away:

Like their homes, their current away's are a out of balance mess with a logo too busy for a hockey sweater. So the new away is just a maroon version of the home, the logos and numbers do not have an outline to increase visibility.

Alternate:

The alternate is a fauxback inspired by this old jersey. It is a white jersey with thick maroon and gold stripes. The shoulders are gold with maroon blocks on the front and back. The horseman takes center stage on the front of the jersey as I felt it had  more "old school" look.

0KlDpOp.png

Next up will be Mounds View.

Well I learned something new today, East Ridge opened in 2009? Dang. Im not a big fan of the ALT, but its the best option overall in my head.

Forest Lake looks really clean, without all the yellow. They are so much easier on the eyes. Good work as always!

Here is Mounds View High School in Arden Hills.

Mounds View High School

Nickname: Mustangs

Enrollment: 1,802

Rival(s): Roseville, Stillwater, Irondale

State Tournament Appearances: 5 (1968, 1969, 1976, 1977, 1978)

Home:

Mounds View is a school without much hockey history, at least of late. Back in the 60's and 70's the Mustangs were a power. I based the home and away uniforms on the school's glory days. The home is the same as what they used back in the late 60's just without the numbers on the chest.

Away:

Recently, the Mounds View women's team has been using a throwback almost identical to these, also calling back to the 60s and 70s. The only change I made from the girls jersey is removing the number on the front of the jersey.

Alternate:

The alternate is where I went somewhere new for the Mustangs. Mounds View has been using yellow for a while now, but they use way too much of it and in not a good way. So for the alternate I tried incorporating the yellow in a non-complicated way. The sleeve stripes are two yellow stripes with green outlines on both sides and a line of white between them. A thin yellow stripe is also on the shoulders, mimicking the stripes. The logo on the front of the sweater is also changed to the school's MV logo rather than the diagonal "Mustangs".

qfGk421.png

Next up will be Park of Cottage Grove.

Mounds View looks nice. My one gripe is the the striping looks a lot like East Ridge.

Also as a fellow hockey jersey designer, how do you get the letters diagonally on the chest? Is there an easy way to do that or do you have to line it up letter by letter? 

11 hours ago, EJaws said:

Mounds View looks nice. My one gripe is the the striping looks a lot like East Ridge.

Also as a fellow hockey jersey designer, how do you get the letters diagonally on the chest? Is there an easy way to do that or do you have to line it up letter by letter? 

I make the diagonal letters in illustrator. I type the name and then expand and ungroup them. I then leave the first letter and select the rest and move them down half a letter and keep doing that until all are done.

Next up we have the Park of Cottage Grove Wolfpack.

Park High School

Nickname: Wolfpack

Enrollment: 1,784

Rival(s): Woodbury, East Ridge, Hastings

Home:

Park's current home isn't horrible, it just is a little boring for them. The one thing that IS horrible are the socks, they're just the worst. I decided to just start from scratch for the Wolfpack. I left the slightly altered Flyers "flying P" logo on the front, but simplified it, removing the black outline. I also did this on the numbers, so they are just green. The shoulders stay green like their current jerseys, but they are squared off now rather than rounded. The stripes are two bold stripes, one black, one green, separated by a thinner white stripe.

Away:

The Wolfpack's current away's are just way too dark. The numbers and shoulders have been switched to white, the numbers have a black outline though. The flying P remains on the chest but is now black rather than green. The striping is exactly the same as the home and it keeps the bottom of the sleeves and hem white to brighten the jersey. (The shade of green they use is very dark, if I hadn't added this much white it would be almost impossible to see details)

Alternate:

The alternate continues to stay accurate stripe wise with the other jerseys, but it is a black base with white shoulders. The flying P is replaced on the chest by a script "Park" that I found on this old jersey of theirs, I simplified it though, dropping the Wolfpack text in the tail. The script and numbers are both white with a green outline.

3Vii5wr.png

Next up will be the Roseville Raiders.

Edit: I just realized that this was my 1,000th post on the boards! Crazy stuff man.

Like everyone else has said, this is an excellent series! Very well executed and researched. The speed you are pumping these out is really impressive too for the quality! I know you already have some requests for which conference to do next, but I'd really like to see the South Suburban conference (where I grew up) if you get to it!

4 minutes ago, tjs11 said:

Like everyone else has said, this is an excellent series! Very well executed and researched. The speed you are pumping these out is really impressive too for the quality! I know you already have some requests for which conference to do next, but I'd really like to see the South Suburban conference (where I grew up) if you get to it!

Thank you! I also grew up in the South Suburban. I went to Rosemount, where did you go if you don't mind me asking?

7 minutes ago, Section30 said:

Thank you! I also grew up in the South Suburban. I went to Rosemount, where did you go if you don't mind me asking?

Eagan! Small world! Went to a church right near the Rosemont-Eagan border so had lots of Rosemount friends

Archived