Some Random MLB Concepts (Hand Drawn)(Rockies 12/2)

jn8

20 hours ago, Poffsicle said:

i think the pattern could work for white and grey but maybe not on the orange. not a fan of the blue pattern on the orange either. maybe try going in a different direction and overall design for the orange.

Hmmm, what direction would you recommend for the orange jersey? I can try to get some rough sketches done in my free time today

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think what would really be an advantage to your Astros design would be if you added a camera to the uniform to steal signs...

All jokes aside, I love any Astros design with the tequila sunrise pattern. I prefer the orange one with the blue star.

5 hours ago, JG36 said:

I think what would really be an advantage to your Astros design would be if you added a camera to the uniform to steal signs...

All jokes aside, I love any Astros design with the tequila sunrise pattern. I prefer the orange one with the blue star.

Comedy at its finest.

Add gold to the uniform to commemorate the 2017 championship instead.

• 2 weeks later...

Took me long enough, but hey I got Houston finished

Caps/Helmets:Just one, solid navy like the current home cap, except the squatchee/button on the top is now orange. I could easily be convinced to utilize an alternate orange cap or orange-billed navy cap, though. Additionally, all helmets feature an earpiece with a direct feed to the coaching staff. Why use bangs on a trashcan to convey what pitch is coming? Those noises can be covered up or replicated by something else, let's just cut out the potential for errors and just have the message play directly into the batter's ear! (JK Astros fans, love you <3)

Jerseys:

The home, road, and navy alternate all follow the same base as in the rough draft from the last page. The wordmarks on the front are also in the style of the drafts, with the words "Houston" and "Astros" arched to match the shooting star underneath. I did decide against the number in the star. For the orange alternate, I applied the tequila sunrise pattern in its original style, except now the white top portion is orange and there is a slight tweak to the sleeves. The wordmark is the modern block style flattened to match the original tequila sunrise set.

Pants:

A star on each hip with unique piping matching the shooting star from the wordmark.

I'm awful with words so that probably was just a bunch of rambling nonsense, but I'm less-awful with pictures so hopefully this gets my point across:

Zl5I6aR.jpg

So now comes the part where y'all find every teeny error and completely pick this apart, let's go! 😁

I appreciate the compliments guys!

On 11/22/2019 at 7:36 AM, coco1997 said:

I would love to see your take on the Rays or Rockies next.

Both the Rays and Rockies are teams I’d like to do as well. However, at this time I don’t really have much for either. I have several small ideas that I’ve sketched out for both of them (as well as a couple other teams), but I don’t really have enough to do a full uniform set. I REALLY want to do Tampa Bay, because they’re some of my least favorite uniforms in baseball right now, but it’s just a matter of finding the design element/logo/color scheme/whatever that can drive a full uniform set. In short, if I’m gonna do it, I want to do it right, rather than just do the first thing that pops in my head and be unhappy with the results. 

That said, I do have another team that should be done soon. There’s no point in hiding who it is, I’m nothing important, so I’ll just say it’s Arizona. 

Those Houston jerseys are beautiful! I think the caps & helmets should always have an orange bill, though. Also, the sleeves might benefit from a sleeve patch rather than another blue star. That orange jersey, though, perfection!

Felt super motivated for some reason, so this is a thing that happened:

The Diamondbacks Should Wear Teal: My Case

Colors:

Black is the dominant color, with teal/turquoise a close number two. Red is kept as an accent color. I love the old purple/teal/black scheme, but since Arizona doesn't want to use purple because of the Rockies, I held myself to that limitation and brought in red as a minor accent color.

Caps/Helmets:

There's a few. Primary is black with a teal bill, the road cap is all black, and the alternate is white with a teal bill, as a callback to this cap (yes I know the original was cream). I love white caps and wish more teams used them as alternates.

Jerseys:

Home white, dark gray roads, alternates in teal and black. Yes dark gray roads. That's one thing that I kinda liked about their last set. I like when teams try new things with the road uniforms and dark dray didn't look bad in my opinion. The sleeves on all jerseys have a stripe mimicking the left side of the A logo at the end. The home jerseys and two alternates have the A logo on the left chest. I don't hate the D-Backs wordmark as much as some on here do, but I'd rather get the full name on the front, and no way I tried to get the whole word "Diamondbacks" on the front looked good, so the left chest logo was the best option. The road uniform has the current Arizona wordmard.

Pants:

Get ready to hate me, in addition to the white and gray pairs, there are teal pants that can be worn with ONLY the teal jerseys. It's somewhat close to powder blue so I figured I'd try it out. All three pairs have the same stripes as the ends of the sleeves.

Combinations/Uniform Schedule:

Teal jerseys- worn in ANY Saturday game, no matter the start time, and Sunday night games. If the game is at home, it is with white pants, if it is on the road, it is with the teal pants.

Black jerseys- worn in Thursday and Friday night games

White hats- worn in Sunday home games, no matter the start time, and always worn with teal undershirts, belts, and socks.

Black hats- worn with the gray jerseys, no others.

So that's it for words, now on to pictures.

spacer.png

So that's that. Oh yeah, the socks have the same stripes as the pants and sleeves. Right now I'm working on an assignment for a class, but later I'd like to do some other things to go with this design like a red jersey, a pinstriped jersey, a teal cap, maybe even black pants. Okay, I've said enough. Your turn to say words (just try to keep it PG, in case we got some youngins around here)😁

Ya know it’s not bad but, this ones a swing and a miss for me. I never saw what was so great about the turquoise and purple color scheme to be frank. And their current update is probably one of if not the greatest the team has ever looked. The dark grey doesn’t look good, teal pants are a no, the multiple outlines don’t look the best either. The red and black in general just screams Arizona and Diamondbacks much more in my opinion.

I do like the white hats, however I don’t think it would fit that well in with their current set anyway. 

The artwork is good as always though! Excited for what team is next!

Edit: Completely forgot to write about Houston. I love em! Love the pants stripe, it’s genius! The updated wordmarks look unique, which is probably my biggest complaint with the current set, the wordmarks make it a bit plain compared to the script and burnt orange days. The home and away look beautiful. The alternates aren’t quite there, Orange text on a blue jersey isn’t the best look imo. And I never really like the Rainbow Guts uniform as much as everyone else seems to, but they both still look good! Keep up the good work.

3YCQJRO.png

Follow the NFA, and My Baseball League here: https://ahsports.boardhost.com/index.php

Appreciate the comments everyone!

On 11/25/2019 at 5:20 PM, coco1997 said:

The D-Backs—Not bad! Not sure how I feel about the teal under sleeves and solid teal uniform, though. It feels a little too Marlins. I like the thick sleeve and pant stripes, though.

I totally get the Marlins comparison. I made a similar connection myself while working on it. Teal and black has been ingrained in the minds of most baseball fans over 20 as the Marlins’ colors, but at the same time, it’s been 8 years (Holy crap!!) since they’ve worn those colors on a regular basis, and since they’ve shown no indication of going back, I feel it’s fair for another team to pick up the scheme, especially with the addition of red to help separate them. 

On 11/25/2019 at 8:59 PM, BellaSpurs said:

Ya know it’s not bad but, this ones a swing and a miss for me. I never saw what was so great about the turquoise and purple color scheme to be frank. And their current update is probably one of if not the greatest the team has ever looked. The dark grey doesn’t look good, teal pants are a no, the multiple outlines don’t look the best either. The red and black in general just screams Arizona and Diamondbacks much more in my opinion.

I do like the white hats, however I don’t think it would fit that well in with their current set anyway.

This is absolutely fair! I’ll agree that the recent tweaks make the uniforms some of their best ever, but I still wish they’d embrace teal as a more prominent color. I understand not everything I do will be loved by everyone, I’d be crazy to think it would. I appreciate your honest opinion!

On 11/25/2019 at 8:59 PM, BellaSpurs said:

Excited for what team is next!

I’ve got nothing to hide, I’ve been putting a lot of time into working on something for the Rockies. I figured out a direction I want to take with them and got some work done last night. Probably a few days from finishing though, especially with Thanksgiving 

Anyway, I said something at the end of the D-Backs post:

On 11/24/2019 at 2:20 PM, jn8 said:

later I'd like to do some other things to go with this design like a red jersey, a pinstriped jersey, [other stuff I said I might do but didn’t get done]

Well, I did those things. The two that I didn’t remove from the post anyway😁

SmyJl0M.jpg

So the pinstripes are on a vest. I tried to keep the striping on the uniforms, so it goes over the top of the shoulders like some basketball uniforms do and is on the pants in, well, the normal location of pant stripes. The red jersey is kinda self explanatory, just color swapping the other alts. Not gonna lie: I’m really not feeling the red jersey and I’m not quite sure where I fall on the pinstripes. 

Ayyyyye, happy belated Thanksgiving everyone. I did more stuff, so here’s Colorado! Lotta changes here, so let’s get started. 

Colors:

Purple stays, that’s it, everything else is changed. Black is replaced by pine green, sky blue is added in a very minor role, and silver is tweaked to a more blue-ish shade to compliment the sky blue. 

Logo:

Massive changes here. Starting over, to be exact. Ahhhh screw the description, here’s the logo (and wordmarks):

keyrFOO.jpg

SSFIu4W.jpg

And now it’s time for Jake’s doodles! That’s the part of the show where I take you through my thought process that ended up with the logo above! (If anyone understood THAT obscure reference, I’ll be damn impressed)

7eUjMVs.jpg

Okay, so I started out with the interlocking CR cap logo and then attempted to isolate the C. Following that, I added mountains inside the C, but I decided I wanted to go a different direction, which led me to the Colorado state flag. It was around here where I realized I could color in the space inside the C, a la the state flag, which could look like the sky behind the mountains. Moving forward I attempted to incorporate the serif at the top of the C to reference the old logo, and I also tried to work in the beveling from it as well. Eventually, I decided to square off the logo and it progressed into a block C. I tried multiple versions of the block C trying to get it in the right shape before I settled on something I was happy with. The logo has multiple tie ins to the old logo, as well as the Colorado flag. The serif at the top is a nod to the previous logo, as is the beveling. The colored in inside part of the C and the angles on the ends (which worked well for flowing into the mountains) reference the state flag. 

Caps/helmets:

Two main caps and helmets. One is solid purple, the other is pine green with a purple bill. Both have matching helmets and use a simplified version of the primary logo on the front (single outline, no mountains).

Jerseys:

Four of them. White home jerseys with purple pinstripes, Rockies wordmark on the chest. Sleeves and necks are trimmed in purple-blue-green piping. After seeing the Padres try it, I sort of fell in love with piping on pinstripes. And no, there’s totally not anything else that may be affecting my opinion on that style. Road jerseys are that blue-ish silver color. They’re close to gray, but not quite. Same piping as the homes (it’s on all the jerseys) with the Colorado wordmark on the chest. The alternates are purple and pine green. The purple jerseys have the Rockies wordmark, while the greens have Colorado. All jerseys have the primary logo as a patch on the left sleeve.

Pants: 

Three pairs. A white pinstriped pair, a blue-silver pair, and a white pair without pinstripes. The latter two feature the same piping as the jerseys. 

Combinations:

Hats can be mixed, but the socks always match the cap color. The plain white pants are for the alternate tops, limiting the pinstriped pair to the matching tops. That’s kinda it though. 

But that’s a lot of reading that I don’t expect many people will do, so less talkie, more pictures:

6BucyqW.jpg

So yeah. That’s that. In all honesty though, I don’t do many of my own logos, I typically try to use a team’s current branding or a small tweak on it, so this was a little different for me. Obviously I’m happy with what I ended up with, but my opinion doesn’t matter. I’d appreciate any critiques y’all might have so please, don’t hold back anything. 

This is a really smart update for the Rockies. The new wordmarks are an improvement, and I love the addition of sky blue and green to the color scheme. My only complaint is that, much like the current problem with the Rockies' purple and black, there isn't enough contrast between the purple and green. I'd lighten up one of the colors. 

I do really like that with these two recent redesigns, the Rockies and D-Backs could co-exist without the two teams looking anything like one another! 

First off, I love the color scheme change, especially the green. There is not enough green in baseball. And to pair it with purple, another rare color? Great. The sky blue also works well and a good tertiary. 
The font is really nice, and much better than their current one. It looks really good on the jerseys. 
The only criticism I have is that I think I agree with @ScotM that I prefer the rounder version of the cap logo. I think a mountain spire in between the “walls” of the C, like your Colorado flag inspired logo. (About 5 logos in if that makes sense.) Would be better as well. All around though this might your best concept! It’s out there and it works and while maybe not the most realistic update. It’s really nice and id love to see Colorado adopt it!

3YCQJRO.png

Follow the NFA, and My Baseball League here: https://ahsports.boardhost.com/index.php

Archived