Canucks 50th Anniversary Series

Discrim

It's been a few days since I finished the Sabres series, so now I begin the Canucks counterpart...tonight, I mash the style they wore for their first two seasons with the flying skate.  The Peyote Coyote skates forth to oppose them, this uniform based on the 1974-75 Phoenix Roadrunners, though repeating the coyote on the shoulders the way the Runners had had their logo ended up looking like crap, so I used the moon instead.

canucks50th70s.png

Tomorrow is 80s Night, this time out I'll make you squirm a bit, see if you can guess which logo'll be used and who the opponents will be.  I'll tell you what though, much like I ended the Sabres series with a heritage set, the Canucks series will end with an interesting take on the Millionaires.

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

On 6/10/2019 at 6:45 PM, Discrimihater said:

It's been a few days since I finished the Sabres series, so now I begin the Canucks counterpart...tonight, I mash the style they wore for their first two seasons with the flying skate.  The Peyote Coyote skates forth to oppose them, this uniform based on the 1974-75 Phoenix Roadrunners, though repeating the coyote on the shoulders the way the Runners had had their logo ended up looking like crap, so I used the moon instead.

canucks50th70s.png

Tomorrow is 80s Night, this time out I'll make you squirm a bit, see if you can guess which logo'll be used and who the opponents will be.  I'll tell you what though, much like I ended the Sabres series with a heritage set, the Canucks series will end with an interesting take on the Millionaires.

THAT'S the look the Canucks should have had in '85. The Skate looks so much better with white inside the blade.

However, I would add black yokes. Also, the player names should be black and the font should be a little more bold with an orangey-red border.

Overall, very sharp!👍💛❤️🖤👍

1 hour ago, VancouverFan69 said:

THAT'S the look the Canucks should have had in '85. The Skate looks so much better with white inside the blade.

However, I would add black yokes. Also, the player names should be black and the font should be a little more bold with an orangey-red border.

Overall, very sharp!👍💛❤️🖤👍

In order, thanks, sorry for only being 2 years old in '85 :D and since the V-sleeve jerseys didn't use contrasting yokes (and the Canucks don't really have a history of using them outside of the 80s and the navy-era gradient third), I hadn't even thought of it here...and given that they'd only used solid color numbers on their originals, the lettering's solid color here as well.  Same back coloration as the first few seasons of the Flying V, in fact.

On 6/10/2019 at 10:59 PM, sparky chewbarky said:

Love the yellow set!👍

Thanks man, I liked your Preds concept logo from a while back.

80s Night is upon us now....and I think you know what that means.  With apologies to the late-80s set, I give you the Flying V in the orca's original colors.  Probably triggering some form of OCD for using a team that didn't exist in the 80s for 80s Night, the opposing Wild are done in the style of the North Stars' greens of most of the 80s...except inverted.  I'd tried going with the whites' style, but I didn't want to add black.  I figured I'd use the gold in their logo...except the gold and cream contrasted poorly, and it simply looked forced, thus the road I traveled instead.  Maybe this and the green Habs from the Sabres series could be worn against each other for :censored: and giggles.

canucks50th80s.png

Next up: 90s Night....'Nucks in the early-mid 90s style + Johnny vs. ???

2016cubscreamsig.png

I figured one thing, as much of a challenge as attempting to replicate the short-lived red alt would've been, I figured I'd instead mimic the regular striping of the period.  Yes, it's more conventional than "Totally 90s" but whatever.  In any event, heeeere's Johnny!  On the other end of the ice, the Predators' original style is adapted to their current identity...which, aside from the yoke being white instead of silver, isn't all that different from the original.  Maybe I should've gone yellow, but whatever.

canucks50th90s.png

Next up: 2K Night...Pre-Edge primary style + Stick in Rink vs. a certain frozen :cursing:hole

2016cubscreamsig.png

I've always liked the Vancouver "V-Neck" sweater. I'm gonna say that it is the most innovative and unique sweater in NHL modern history...(a logo-less concept where the entire sweater is the "logo"). You've just demonstrated that it IS a great design that works magnificently with a more subtle palette. (The Russians skated in a similar beauty back in 2008)...

spacer.png

...And why the Canucks don't use "Johnny Canuck" more often, is a mystery to me. He looks great on your "nicely-simple" offering.

I'd buy both of the above Canuck sweaters in a heartbeat. Well done, D.

I’m not really a hockey, or canucks fan here, I don’t know much about their looks, but that Johnny Canucks uniform is about 100x better than the Stick in Rink uniforms people want them to go back to, in fact it’s better than any era of uniforms they had. They need to adopt it asap

3YCQJRO.png

Follow the NFA, and My Baseball League here: https://ahsports.boardhost.com/index.php

Well, speaking of the Stick in Rink...welcome to 2K Night vs. the Jets.  The original orca jersey striping is paired with the Stick in Rink...and oddly enough, it's actually not as underwhelming as I feared it could've ended up.  The show, however, is stolen by the Jets-as-Thrashers in the infamous assymetrical jersey, Winnipeg down the left sleeve, with jets dotting the hem stripe.

canucks50th2000s.png

Only two more to go: 2010s Night and Millionaires Tribute Night

2016cubscreamsig.png

16 hours ago, sparky chewbarky said:

I've always liked the Vancouver "V-Neck" sweater. I'm gonna say that it is the most innovative and unique sweater in NHL modern history...(a logo-less concept where the entire sweater is the "logo"). You've just demonstrated that it IS a great design that works magnificently with a more subtle palette. (The Russians skated in a similar beauty back in 2008)...

spacer.png

...And why the Canucks don't use "Johnny Canuck" more often, is a mystery to me. He looks great on your "nicely-simple" offering.

I'd buy both of the above Canuck sweaters in a heartbeat. Well done, D.

IIHF has jersey images in a newsletter of the jerseys for their 100th anniversary in 2008.

Soviet one was based on their 1956 jerseys.  Looks like Latvia has a simpler version that predates the Soviet one; Latvia's was from 1934.

(images on page 4 of this pdf)

https://www.iihf.com/IIHFMvc/media/Downloads/Ice Times/Archive/IceTimes_12_1.pdf

"Just when I thought you'd said the stupidest thing, you keep on talking" - Hank Hill

On 6/12/2019 at 1:46 AM, Discrimihater said:

In order, thanks, sorry for only being 2 years old in '85 :D and since the V-sleeve jerseys didn't use contrasting yokes (and the Canucks don't really have a history of using them outside of the 80s and the navy-era gradient third), I hadn't even thought of it here...and given that they'd only used solid color numbers on their originals, the lettering's solid color here as well.  Same back coloration as the first few seasons of the Flying V, in fact.

Thanks man, I liked your Preds concept logo from a while back.

80s Night is upon us now....and I think you know what that means.  With apologies to the late-80s set, I give you the Flying V in the orca's original colors.  Probably triggering some form of OCD for using a team that didn't exist in the 80s for 80s Night, the opposing Wild are done in the style of the North Stars' greens of most of the 80s...except inverted.  I'd tried going with the whites' style, but I didn't want to add black.  I figured I'd use the gold in their logo...except the gold and cream contrasted poorly, and it simply looked forced, thus the road I traveled instead.  Maybe this and the green Habs from the Sabres series could be worn against each other for :censored: and giggles.

canucks50th80s.png

Next up: 90s Night....'Nucks in the early-mid 90s style + Johnny vs. ???

That Canucks jersey is really cool (and far better than the actual 90s jersey worn). The numbers look Patriots-ish...would silver numbers outlined in crimson work, or would it be too much? Perhaps use the current number font oulined in silver and crimson...which would be even more of a mix...

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

For 2010s Night, the Canucks are dressed as themselves, but using the early-mid 90s version of the Flying Skate (red in place of orange).  The opposing Kings are in a purple-trimmed version of the silver jersey they rolled out for their own 50th anniversary (naturally, the Canucks appeared in their miniseries three years ago :hockeysmiley:), with the crown as the crest.

canucks50th2010s.png

Coming tomorrow night, the grand finale!  The interesting twist I have planned for the Millionaires vs a Canadian team that is not the Jets, Canadiens, Senators or Leafs.  It will either be a travesty or the greatest thing you'll see this weekend. 😆

2016cubscreamsig.png

1 hour ago, Discrimihater said:

For 2010s Night, the Canucks are dressed as themselves, but using the early-mid 90s version of the Flying Skate (red in place of orange).  The opposing Kings are in a purple-trimmed version of the silver jersey they rolled out for their own 50th anniversary (naturally, the Canucks appeared in their miniseries three years ago :hockeysmiley:), with the crown as the crest.

canucks50th2010s.png

Coming tomorrow night, the grand finale!  The interesting twist I have planned for the Millionaires vs a Canadian team that is not the Jets, Canadiens, Senators or Leafs.  It will either be a travesty or the greatest thing you'll see this weekend. 😆

Looks good!  Been enjoying the designs.  You know Bo's last name is Horvat.

She see money all around me, I look like I'm the man...but I was down and out like last week, tell me where have you been?

Tonight, the Millionucks vs. the Oilers...Vancouver's is self-explanatory, Millionaires style in current Canucks colors, with an allusion to the Flying V jersey on the crest.  The Oilers are mimicking the style of the old hockey Eskimos.

canucks50thheritage.png

And for one last flourish, the "just for the hell of it" bonus jerseys, one in the orca's original colors and the other touched by the flying skate

canucks50thheritage2.png

And with this, the curtain falls.  Bows are taken.  Thanks to everybody who took a look, everybody who posted and everybody who clicked like buttons. :notworthy:

2016cubscreamsig.png

Archived