City of Chicago Creates New Branding

tjs11

I don't think the article you posted with this is what you had intended to post.

BUT, I am a pretty big fan of the imagery here.

MZnWkGU.png

StL Cardinals - Indy Colts - Indiana Pacers - Let's Go Blues! - Missouri State Bears - IU Hoosiers - St Louis City SC

1 hour ago, Maroon said:

I don't think the article you posted with this is what you had intended to post.

BUT, I am a pretty big fan of the imagery here.

Ah, yeah thanks! I scrolled too far down the page before I copied the url so it went to the next article. Edited

https://www.fastcompany.com/90471389/exclusive-chicagos-new-brand-identity-could-save-the-city-10-million-a-year

There’s a new typeface, developed by typographer Patric King. Dubbed “Big Shoulders” after the Carl Sandburg nickname for the city, it features snaking M, N, and W glyphs that are meant to evoke shoulders.

stfu, it's just a poorly traced Tungsten

Just use Neutraface or Avant Garde, ugh.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

As a resident and employee of this fair city, I don't know if I really grasp the point of the new branding. I mean, sure, the flag is iconic and expected to be used on many City institutions, cause we just can't resist those stars, but is this just for advertising? Either way, it would be nice to update those outdated street signs downtown. Think those are from 2001.

"And then I remember to relax, and stop trying to hold on to it, and then it flows through me like rain and I can't feel anything but gratitude for every single moment of my stupid little life... You have no idea what I'm talking about, I'm sure. But don't worry... you will someday." 

You still have all the signposts that display the deep-pocketed ‘honorary’ street name instead of the original. Frig off, Dutchie Caray. I only recognize Hot Mix 5 Way because they rock and Balbo is a dumb name.

I’d be gruntled if CPL and CTA fell under this project. 

• 1 month later...
On 3/5/2020 at 5:53 PM, Alex Houston said:

As a resident and employee of this fair city, I don't know if I really grasp the point of the new branding. I mean, sure, the flag is iconic and expected to be used on many City institutions, cause we just can't resist those stars, but is this just for advertising? Either way, it would be nice to update those outdated street signs downtown. Think those are from 2001.

city branding / design is something ive always been interesting in doing because of how many different applications it could touch. from any kind of signage to vehicles and the city’s website, it gives you the possibility of everything. it makes sense for Chicago especially given their laws and guidelines concerning architecture and city planning. add in a great flag and they’re prime for a graphic design unification. i dont think they nailed it though; hopefully this is something that can evolve well over time because i think it (especially type) will date quickly

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

r/chicago is as garbage a subreddit as any subreddit named for a major American city, but even their header has a better font than this:

tulips-on-chicago-reddit.jpg

Gotham, I'm pretty sure, which oddly enough feels more Chicago than New York to me.

Chicago needs to be rendered in typefaces that have circular C's and O's. I don't make the rules.

Given the onslaught of municipal messaging of late, I've noticed and been impressed by how well all pieces of Boston city government adhere to the brand guidelines, even down to the colors. Unfortunately the city typefaces are Montserrat and Lora, which are fine but feel like cheap Google fonts when used at that scale.

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

• 1 month later...
On 4/19/2020 at 6:18 PM, Digby said:

Chicago needs to be rendered in typefaces that have circular C's and O's. I don't make the rules.

Given the onslaught of municipal messaging of late, I've noticed and been impressed by how well all pieces of Boston city government adhere to the brand guidelines, even down to the colors. Unfortunately the city typefaces are Montserrat and Lora, which are fine but feel like cheap Google fonts when used at that scale.

Because they are cheap (free, actually) Google fonts 😉https://fonts.google.com/specimen/Montserrathttps://fonts.google.com/specimen/Lora

• 2 weeks later...

The best Chicago branding was done by the band, not the city.

de22370e018bb5b0dffa2d2309b11959.jpg625f98b6963faeb4840f5613fde97697.jpg08670ac9470d42d0ce57c69ef64c8969.jpg088157c9a1fd6f506cdd73324d427f1f.jpg672c0d799304e2b32022c3645f1ab180.jpg18 - 1986007f515dae84014adc922b684d811a73.jpg67327da7ac57d688cf5a93c235feae2f.jpg

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

Is there going to be a logo for Lori Lightfoot's unaccountable private security force?

Also, the albums that correspond to those covers are all crap on a stick. Everything after III sucks!

On 6/5/2020 at 8:57 PM, the admiral said:

Is there going to be a logo for Lori Lightfoot's unaccountable private security force?

Also, the albums that correspond to those covers are all crap on a stick. Everything after III sucks!

Gonna have to disagree there.  A lot of Chicago fans don't like the "new" Chicago sound (around Chicago X, into the post-Cetera era), but here's a sampling of great Chicago tunes you're throwing out by neglecting everything past Chicago III.

Saturday In The Park

Dialogue Pt 1 & 2

Just You 'N Me

Feeling Stronger Every Day

Searchin' So Long

Call On Me

Plus, if you throw out X, you're losing If You Leave Me Now, which is arguably one of their most well-known songs.

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

Okay, you found six good songs over like 20+ albums. (And I like "Street Player" too, so we'll say seven.) That's still a whooooole lot of baaaaad music. It's a shame, they started so well.

Chicago really went down the tubes after Terry Kath shot himself. Total de-emphasis of the jazz elements of their sound in favor of bland, easy-listening pop. They still had a horn section, but they might as well not have, and Peter Cetera is extremely overrated.

They made a ton more money in the 80s, though.

Archived