NASA Brings Back the Worm

mmajeski06

On 4/4/2020 at 1:24 AM, DTConcepts said:

I don't think NASA has a bad logo in their arsenal. Both the worm and the meatball are great and iconic.

nasa-logo-web-rgb-640x320.png

IMO this is a pretty lousy logo.  The red flame thing doesn't really convey anything to me, the 'ring' isn't orbiting anything, the stars make it hard to reduce, and the serifed font has no soul.

There's too much going on, and none of it works - individually or together.

Is the worm logo perfect?  Of course not - but it's clean and iconic, and even though it debuted well after Sputnik and the moon landing, it's still reminiscent of the early-days of the space age, and it's fine for now.

At the very least, it should be used for a throwback alt, once NASA drops the one-helmet rule for astronauts.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

13 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

IMO this is a pretty lousy logo.  The red flame thing doesn't really convey anything to me, the 'ring' isn't orbiting anything, the stars make it hard to reduce, and the serifed font has no soul.

Is the worm logo perfect?  Of course not - but it's clean and iconic, and even though it debuted well after Sputnik and the moon landing, it's still reminiscent of the early-days of the space age, and it's fine for now.

At the very least, it should be used for a throwback alt, once NASA drops the one-helmet rule for astronauts.

I'm OK with using the worm as an occasional alternate, but the meatball is what NASA was wearing when they won the Space Race. It should be the primary because fans associate it with winning. 

BB52Big.jpg

2 hours ago, infrared41 said:

I'm OK with using the worm as an occasional alternate, but the meatball is what NASA was wearing when they won the Space Race. It should be the primary because fans associate it with winning. 

I know we're joking around here, but I honestly didn't realize that the current "meatball" logo was actually the one from the moon-landing era.  

Even with that added context, I think it's an objectively bad logo.  Maybe something they could do is keep the blue globe with stars, cut out white space in the middle, and put the worm logo there (drop the ring and red flamy thing.)

So basically, kinda like the below logos, but with blue on top and bottom, and the worm in the middle surrounded by negative space (more similar to the pepsi can, but with blue on both top and bottom, and straight lines vs curved.  And throw a few of them stars in there just for good measure.

53144300de34b6e671f55e3286573a16.jpgc75de518289aa66393903373fcb4440b.jpeg?im

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

1 hour ago, BringBackTheVet said:

Even with that added context, I think it's an objectively bad logo. 

This is the one time I'll admit I like a logo because it's the one I grew up with. I can't imagine NASA using anything else. It may be bad (I don't think it is) but there is no debating that it's iconic. That being said, I do like your ideas for a new one. 

BB52Big.jpg

22 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

As a fan, I am not a fan.

VmWIn6B.png

Archived