The Old-Continent League of American Football project (All teams added, NOW IN BEHANCE! )

Josef_Bretones

16 minutes ago, -kj said:

I love the Polars logo, though it disappears a bit on the light blue helmet.  

The font you chose to pair with it, though, doesn't work for me.  It's a fine font on its own, but it's the antithesis of the logo itself; it's round and soft, while the logo is very angular and sharp.

It is incredible how things that you see very clearly alone come to someone you do not know and open your mind. Thanks for the advice on the font. I'm going to find one that sticks with the logo.

ALL-MEDALS-LOGOLYMPIAD-X.png

• Replies 275
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good night from Spain, about to end another day of quarantine (it is 11:50 PM).
This is the update on the wordmark, numbers and helmet of the Polars:

Polars-CCSLSC-2-2.jpg

Polars-CCSLSC-3-2.jpg

I really think this font does fit the angular shape of the logo and that the white snowflake looks great on the ice blue of the helmet.

Today is the turn of the 4th team of the Scandinavian Division: Helsinki STAGS.

The first name I came up with for this team was Helsinki Reindeers because Santa Claus's house is in the north of Finland but I thought they were too adorable animals. So investigating I saw the work of Fraser Davidson (second image from the Mood Board) and I liked the name of Stags. I found it forceful (like Bucks, Cavs, Jets, Mets, Suns ...). I decided to design it in a flat style to change the tone with respect to other teams. The choice of colors was simple since blue and yellow are the colors that make up the Helsinki flag (third image). I like to think that this is the least powerful team in Scandinavia but they are proud and brave and called their home Niitty (The Meadow).

Mood Board:

Stags-CCSLSC-1.jpg

Logo, wordmarks, numbers and slogan:

Stags-CCSLSC-2.jpg

Uniforms and helmet:

Stags-CCSLSC-3.jpg

Tomorrow we will start with the next division!

I present to you the first team of the north-central division: Berlin BREAKERS.

When I thought about this league I was very clear that the name of the Berlin team would be Panzers. I even designed a logo that I was quite satisfied with. In time I was not comfortable perpetuating that war image of the Germans. I thought that Berlin is a very avant-garde city and something as positive in its history as the fall of the wall. I looked at photographs and liked the idea of crossing two hammers referring to the first people who broke the wall. I liked how West Ham represented cross hammers and was inspired by it. I chose the color scheme because I have always liked the San Antonio Spurs and I think it works very well in the team's concept. Referring to the broken wall. The Breakers house is called Freiheitfeld (Freedom Field) and The Doors greatest hit Break on through to the other side is always played in high volume.

Mood board

Breakers-CCSLSC-1.jpg

Logos, wordmark, numbers and slogan:

Breakers-CCSLSC-2.jpg

Uniforms and helmet:

Breakers-CCSLSC-3.jpg

Thank you for your attention

34 minutes ago, Seadragon76 said:

I do like the thought process with Berlin and changing it from Panzers to Breakers and I really love the idea of the song being a major part of the team.

When I was looking for a catchphrase for the team this song came to my mind immediately. I think it makes a lot of sense in this context: breaking the wall, breaking the rival defense.
I am really very satisfied!

The second team in the North-Central division is the Munich MONKS. They have this name due to the monk who appears on the flag and the coat of arms of the city. The logo is inspired by the huge windows of the Gothic cathedrals and how light passes through them. The first identity that I thought for this team was Munich Breawers for the Oktoberfest but I was not enthusiastic so I decided to look at the symbols of the city. The color scheme is a derivation of the colors of the flag and, in my opinion, reminds of the fight between the light of wisdom that was in the monasteries and the darkness of evil. Well, simple personal interpretations. The monks play their home games at the Monastery Stadium.

Mood board:

spacer.png

spacer.png

Uniforms and helmet:

spacer.png

C&C welcome. Thank you!

Guest darkpiranha
4 hours ago, Josef_Bretones said:

The second team in the North-Central division is the Munich MONKS. They have this name due to the monk who appears on the flag and the coat of arms of the city. The logo is inspired by the huge windows of the Gothic cathedrals and how light passes through them. The first identity that I thought for this team was Munich Breawers for the Oktoberfest but I was not enthusiastic so I decided to look at the symbols of the city. The color scheme is a derivation of the colors of the flag and, in my opinion, reminds of the fight between the light of wisdom that was in the monasteries and the darkness of evil. Well, simple personal interpretations. The monks play their home games at the Monastery Stadium.

Mood board:

spacer.png

spacer.png

Uniforms and helmet:

spacer.png

C&C welcome. Thank you!

This looks great, but I think you're missing out on a perfect opportunity to do a Pittsburgh Steelers-like splash of color by letting the stained glass actually match the inspiration.  When I see the stained glass shape, it just feels wrong for there not to be color in it.  

Edited to add:  You can take the Steelers motif further by having the stained glass be color on one side and like you have it now on the other side.  This can represent how it looks from both inside the church and outside.  

57 minutes ago, darkpiranha said:

This looks great, but I think you're missing out on a perfect opportunity to do a Pittsburgh Steelers-like splash of color by letting the stained glass actually match the inspiration.  When I see the stained glass shape, it just feels wrong for there not to be color in it.  

Edited to add:  You can take the Steelers motif further by having the stained glass be color on one side and like you have it now on the other side.  This can represent how it looks from both inside the church and outside.  

Actually, I did try to represent the color of the stained glass but I was not convinced by the color. Because having to color the entire rosette, the presence of dark gray and yellow is lost. In the end it is a creative and subjective decision. I think it can work both ways but I prefer it with only two colors.

I love these designs.  My only issue is between Stockholm and Helsinki.  It could be interpreted that Stockholm is wearing traditional Finnish colors (based on flag, olympic and soccer teams) while Helsinki is wearing the gold and blue most associated with Sweden.  I expect that this is not deliberate, but it was my first reaction when I saw the two designs. 

35 minutes ago, WideRight said:

I love these designs.  My only issue is between Stockholm and Helsinki.  It could be interpreted that Stockholm is wearing traditional Finnish colors (based on flag, olympic and soccer teams) while Helsinki is wearing the gold and blue most associated with Sweden.  I expect that this is not deliberate, but it was my first reaction when I saw the two designs. 

I was going to say the same thing. I'm a big fan of the recent designs though. All the logos are top notch. 

One thing I think is important to address though is there is a lot of brashier striping (Three stripes of equal width, with the two outside stripes being the same color) in the uniforms so far. While all the color schemes are different enough, that design element seems a bit templated so far. If you can start changing up the striping a bit on future uniforms, I think that could take this series over the top. 

AM-JKLUm-gD6dFoY5MvQGgjXb2rzP7kMTHmGf8UsR6KOCYQnHU-0HSFi-zjXHepGDckUAHcduu3pVgvwxe06RKDW2y2Z2BmhEOe8OP-WSY1XqLT9KsQ0ZP75J9loQuNrvLW208pEWCg9jq8aNx-zFneH9aPQQA=w800-h112-no?authuser=0

spacer.png

1 hour ago, WideRight said:

26 minutes ago, GriffinM6 said:

I was going to say the same thing. I'm a big fan of the recent designs though. All the logos are top notch. 

One thing I think is important to address though is there is a lot of brashier striping (Three stripes of equal width, with the two outside stripes being the same color) in the uniforms so far. While all the color schemes are different enough, that design element seems a bit templated so far. If you can start changing up the striping a bit on future uniforms, I think that could take this series over the top. 

Thank you for your appreciation guys!
About the scheme color of Stockholm and Helsinki it is pure coincidence that they wear the colors of the country of the other city. The colors of Stockholm respond to the identity of the team: snow and ice and the colors of Helsinki is due to the colors of the city's flag.

About uniforms you are right that you are probably using the same scheme too much. At the beginning of the topic I already said that it was not my strong point so I will try to do my best.

Thank you!

I'm loving this series so far, especially the updates as well. I love the Munich Monks especially. The German name for Munich is München, which comes from an old German word "Munichen," which means "by the monks" (thanks Wikipedia for confirming this for me). A monk appears on the coat of arms and is a great name for the team because the city name itself refers to the monks that lived in a monastery on the land that would later become the Old Town of Munich.

Hi, everybody!

Today is the turn of the third team from Germany: Hamburg PROTECTORS.

At first this team was going to reside in Paris as the second team in the city but I read about the success of football in Germany and it seemed convenient to equip them with three teams in the league since they are the richest country on the continent. The name took me a while to get out and was finally inspired by the motto of the city: Libertatem quam peperere maiores digne studeat servare posteritas ("That freedom, achieved by the former, be preserved by the descendants in dignity"). So I decided to call them the Protectors and their emblem would be a medieval shield with which I took the opportunity to play a bit with wood textures. I did not base the color scheme on any point in Hamburg's history. I just went through the rest of the equipment and saw that the green-black combination was missing and it seemed like an opportunity to develop it. The Protectors call their stadium The Fortress. I know these uniforms are still a bit basic. Tomorrow I hope to be a little more risky with the last team of the North Conference.

Mood board:

Protectors-CCSLC-1.jpg

Logos, wordmarks, numbers and slogan:

Protectors-CCSLC-2.jpg

Uniforms and helmet:

Protectors-CCSLC-3.jpg

C&C welcome!

1 hour ago, _DietDrPepper_ said:

That number font is huge. 

Otherwise I like the color scheme a lot. Maybe add a little something to the logo, maybe an H for Hamburg? 

Thanks for your appreciation! I have made the smallest numbers.
The logo is definitive for me. I gave it many laps and in the end I decided that this is how I was most satisfied.

Protectors-CCSLC-3.jpg

That double green is gorgeous, pops really well off the gray. If I was to nitpick, the lighter green numbers could be hard to read at a distance. Maybe try the dark grey from the pants on the home, the road looks fine. More really well-done work!

Quick edit: Looking back at the Monks, I think if you got rid of the black in the logo and just stuck to the grey/yellow it would look a little less busy

1 minute ago, sleuthpanther said:

That double green is gorgeous, pops really well off the gray. If I was to nitpick, the lighter green numbers could be hard to read at a distance. Maybe try the dark grey from the pants on the home, the road looks fine. More really well-done work!

Thanks for the advice. I think blank numbers look much better.

Protectors-CCSLC-2-2.jpg

Protectors-CCSLC-3-3.jpg

I have also changed the socks to light green to give this color a presence since I have changed the numbers. I personally like it a lot like that.

Love the upper chest stripes on the Breakers and the decision to stay away from a military-themed name. Also love the Hamburg double green helmet stripe.

Munich was probably my favorite logo from the beginning and I like the striping pattern on the jerseys, but I wonder how the helmet would look with yellow instead of white. I think the white works really well with the road uniforms, but I am not sure about the home set. It is a shame that the OCLAF, like the NFL, is a one helmet league. I also wonder about the font. I love the beveled numerals, but they seem too cartoon-ish or maybe just too large?

Archived