VT unis

Chazberg

Sorry if this has already been talked about, I didn't see any threads. Anyway I was watching the Trojans-Hokies game the other night, and I got my first gander at the slightly altered Virginia Tech unis, which I didn't even know were being changed this year. I liked them for the most part, I really dig how the pants stripe leads into the orange socks, and the piping on the jerseys. The only thing I didn't like was how they changed the trim on the numbers from white-orange to just orange, and how they got rid of the reverse-color shoulder numbers. I'm wondering what the home unis will look like; maroon tops with white pants or all maroon. They'll probably use both over the course of the season.

The topic was touched on briefly when the new uniforms were first released:

Chris Creamer's Sports Logos Community -> Sports Logos -> Sports Logos -> Virginia Tech new football uniforms, new for 2004-05 season

The only thing I didn't like was how they changed the trim on the numbers from white-orange to just orange, and how they got rid of the reverse-color shoulder numbers.

The sleeve numbers proved to be unpopular among VT fans, as shown by a few letters to the Kroger Roth Report:

With all this talk of black uniforms and more orange on the maroon uniforms, I had a question about Tech's football jerseys. Why are the sleeve numbers on both jerseys orange? I've watched a lot of football at all different levels, but have never seen another uniform where the sleeve numbers were anything but mini-chest numbers, both in color and style. I think it looks kind of bush league.
Who determines the look of our football uniforms and is there any chance that person will ever change them? I cringe every time I see them, namely because of the numbers. We have an orange number on the shoulder, but a white number on the chest. Same thing with the road uniforms - orange number on the shoulder and maroon number on the chest. Different colored numbers are just tacky. Period. Does any other D-IA BCS team do this? (I doubt it.) And please don't reply, "Who wants to be like everyone else? Certainly not Hokies!" I'm all for individuality, but with a healthy dose of good taste.

05072004.jpg

15306303_z.jpg

capt.fdx10408290143.southern_california_virginia_tech_fdx104.jpg

capt.fdx10808290354.southern_california_virginia_tech_fdx108.jpg

capt.fdx10208290059.southern_california_virginia_tech_fdx102.jpg

capt.fdx10108290054.southern_california_virginia_tech_fdx101.jpg

"If things have gone wrong, I'm talking to myself, and you've got a wet towel wrapped around your head."

i watched the game mainly for that reason...I didn't like the orange socks for some reason. Maybe with white pants...but I just didn't like it. No good reason.

I did like how they tried to make them blend with the pants, like they thought it through...I just didn't like the final project.

peace,

pc

As a VT grad and loyal fan, I'm glad they made the change. However, I think the alternating colors for the numbers was unique and it was the one aspect of the old uniforms that I liked. I think the orange piping should be one continuous line, though. The piping from the pants leading up to jersey just doesn't flow with the piping across the front...they just kind of hit of each other. And eventhough the socks looked like a pair of L.L. Bean hunting socks, I think the change is a good one overall.

~mdc

I really liked VT's old unis, especially the alt. The piping just doesn't make any sense on this jersey. The orange piping is pretty useless and the maroon piping is superfluous. I thought I'd like the orange on the socks until I saw the highlights on t.v. Ugh. I'm like pc on this one...I can't put my finger on it, but it just doesn't work.

I'm just glad they didn't mess with the helmet. It's still one of my favorite in college football.

SpringfieldCardinalsWord.gif

Kess-which alt. are you talking about? Nike made a really ugly orange fashion jersey but they never wore it. Back in '94 VT went all orange against Virginia and got stomped AND looked awful at the same time! Beamer promised no more all orange...though I'm sure Nike will have the final say on that!

~mdc

It'd be great if the Hokies also brought back the orange pants and jerseys as alternates...the maroon jersey/orange pants combo was a classic, but they shouldn't wear the orange/orange combo again, since they got pounded by UVA when they did...I remember the announcers saying they looked like the Hokies were going hunting in all orange!

NorthernColFightingWhites4.GIF

the piping is all right, but there is WAY too much of it. i am indifferent to the consolidation to one outline around the numbers. i think i like it though. they need the opposite color shoulder numbers though. that was classic VT. they have an awesome, almost unique color set, and one of the best logos/helmets ever right now. IMO, they need to ditch all that piping, bring back opposite color shoulder numbers, and maybe, if they want some spice, run a stripe from the armpit to the knee or something. really, i just cant put my finger on it, but i am sad to see the old ones go.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

Archived