Uniforms changed the season after a championship

On 5/31/2020 at 2:11 PM, Wade Heidt said:

How about some major junior hockey ones.  

Rouyn-Noranda Huskies won last year's Memorial Cup wearing this:

spacer.png

That looks like something you'd wear while riding a dirtbike

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The 2007 and 1989 Grey Cup victories didn't mark the first time the Saskatchewan Roughriders modified their uniforms after a Grey Cup win. The Riders had this set in 1966:

sjtCcvTh52KaDGMMnv_RC4qC4QR93ZuZXU1HWmK5

They had "Northwestern" style striping on their green jerseys:
0c3fef6d02122f9ac10621ba096c831b.jpg

In 1967, they returned to the Grey Cup in the copied Philadelphia Eagles' "double-double" striped jerseys, which remains the team's most iconic look:

cfl-illustrated-game-program_1976_sas.jp

During their "five-in-a-row" Grey Cup run of 1978-1982, the Edmonton Eskimos did this, but their change was more subtle:
wilkenson_tom_mcleansmag_sept8_1980.jpg

This is what things looked like in '79, #2 of the 5.....

e96520864763ad046a0918e59e5c_Gallery.jpg
....and here is what it looked like in '80. The change? The Eskies switched from grey to white facemasks, and added an extra stripe on the jerseys, and put the EE monogram superimposed on the sleeve striping in an oval.

UBwef0L.png

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/1/2020 at 12:12 PM, ScubaSteve said:

Still have no idea how they thought the navy text was a good idea. Boston's grays are SHARP

At least the navy wordmark was referring back to some historical precedent. 

spacer.png

I still have no idea why the Red Sox thought it was a good idea to wear navy socks on the road, though.  A mind-bogglingly bad decision. 

I liked the solid-navy-lettered Red Sox road jerseys that they brought out a few years back.  I know that puts me into a very small minority, but I did.  They just needed the red socks and it was fine.  If anything, the socks being the only red on the uniform made them stand out even more.  Also can't believe that someone green-lighted navy socks, but then again, Chicago AL wears black socks, which is equally baffling to me.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Archived