An Olympic Idea

Retromaniac

A novel idea, just not really plausible or practical, here is why:

Based on the wording of your idea any child born overseas to servicemen overseas would be olympic athletes of the country of birth, not athletes of parents ethnicity (this scenario would also applied to any children of dignitaries/ambassadors born overseas) Remeber not all embassies and military instillations are considered soverign (sp?) soil. (Most children born to US servicemen in European are given dual citizenship until 18)

What if someone is born in international waters? (Yea, kinda dumb just had to throw it in there) (Cruise ship?)

What if someone is born in a country while parents are under the status of refugee or under political asylum? (Think immigratis to Iran, Quatar, US and Canada)

What if the athletes country of birth is non longer soverign by the time they participate in the olympics? ( Yugoslavia, Checsolvakia (sp?) Checynia (sp?) )

What if the athlete was born in a controlled territory that is now soverign? does the athlete play for the "new" country which contains his/her birth place? or does the athlete play for the country that occupied his/her birth place at time of birth? (Slovenia, Croatia, Cech Republic, Yugoslavia (the new one), Ukraine, Germany (unified) etc)

Also, begs the question what country does a taiwainese athlete compete for?

dmr

I think if someone is born in International Waters, their country of citizenship might be the nation of the ship's registry.

Children born to military parents hold dual citizenship, as far as I know.

A Taiwanese athlete competes for Chinese Taipei.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

Military births over seas are full fledged U.S. Citizens. Military bases are in a way U.S. owned.

At least this is what I've heard.

The one that irks me is the woman in SI this week. about 2 months ago, she Didn't know who she was competing for, ended up with an african country, and has only BEEN in the country for 2 weeks total. Hmmm...

What if you were born while the family was on vacation?

Btw, if this rule applied USA would lose Brett Hull and Adam Deadmarsh, and Canada would lose Owen Nolan and Dany Heatley (and pretty much all of our track and field medals)

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

Wow, so what immigration isn't allowed any more? What nonsense! Fair enough do something to stop countries 'buying' people from other countries, but plenty of people move for perfectly reasonable reasons, political or otherwise. My grandmother was born in China (Her father was a missionary) My grandfather was born in South Africa, but moved back to Britain when his mother returned to the UK after splitting from her husband. Would both of those have been forced to represent countries they had no real emotional tie to!

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

Example: Martina Navratilova competed for the U.S.A. in tennis doubles last week in Athens. She has been an American citizen for decades. Should she have been required to play for the Czech Republic instead? (Since her birth country of Czechoslovakia has divided.) How would that be logical? She is as American as anyone born here.

CK3ZP8E.jpg

Military births over seas are full fledged U.S. Citizens.  Military bases are in a way U.S. owned.

At least this is what I've heard.

Yes, they are full citizens and are considered born in the US (So, they would be able to run for president).

Archived