NBA Concepts - Nets 3/29

Agus

Hi guys! So I've been away for a little but kept browsing the forum. I've been inspired by a lot of people posting their reimaginings of NBA teams like @Tore and @jb1322 (among others), and decided to give it a go!

Some considerations before we start:

- I'm a HUGE fan of 90's aesthetics, so some teams might incorporate elements from that era, but not in all the wilderness saw in those years

- While it started as a good idea, the City Edition concept has started to run it's course. There are some amazing models (Memphis, Miami come to mind) but there's so much you can do with the story of a city. Some jerseys like Portland don't even remind me of the team they represent. So I've decided to keep it simple: Association, Icon and Statement. I'll try to keep them original enough to incorporate the team's colors, and don't fall on the BFBS jerseys seen all around the league.

- I've started doing this during the pandemic, if there are mistakes in the templates please let me know.

All said and done, let me present the first team: the San Antonio Spurs.

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

As you can see, I decided to embrace the Fiesta colors fully. The script on Association & Icon is based off the Ebbets Vintage collection released some weeks ago (modified to fit into the design) and the terminations on the three straps around the jersey feature a silhouette of the iconic Alamo Mission.

The Statement jersey features the script found on the City jerseys IRL, and the Alamo is more notable here. The pattern on the sides is based on the one found in the warm-up shirts used in mid 90s by the team.

Let me know what do you think about it, and all feedback is welcome!

This is a very fun concept to me! I like the Ebbets wordmark very much as it gives off a vintage feel without being insincere. The horizontal panels with negative Alamo reference is clever. The Statement is a nice mesh of the Spurs current city edition and statement, and the Alamo fits perfectly. The side panels breaks the neutral colours and makes it stand out. Your template is well designed and looks like Nike!
The Spurs are  kinda hard as their identity is so much wrapped around pure black, silver and white. They are so conservative, like the Celtics, that to even the fan favourite wish of adding Fiesta would look wrong. This said, I enjoy your simplistic and minimalistic approach, easy does it and I believe you've done it.

Looking forward to more concepts!

Deyr fé, deyja frændr, deyr sjálfr it sama; en orðstír deyr aldregi hveim er sér góðan getr.

3 hours ago, Tore said:

This is a very fun concept to me! I like the Ebbets wordmark very much as it gives off a vintage feel without being insincere. The horizontal panels with negative Alamo reference is clever. The Statement is a nice mesh of the Spurs current city edition and statement, and the Alamo fits perfectly. The side panels breaks the neutral colours and makes it stand out. Your template is well designed and looks like Nike!
The Spurs are  kinda hard as their identity is so much wrapped around pure black, silver and white. They are so conservative, like the Celtics, that to even the fan favourite wish of adding Fiesta would look wrong. This said, I enjoy your simplistic and minimalistic approach, easy does it and I believe you've done it.

Looking forward to more concepts!

I do think the same! Given they won all their championships in the classic look, it's fair to say they're white/silver/black for life, just like the Celtics and the Bulls are likely maintaining their looks forever. That said, I always thought it would be fun for the Spurs to splash them into the main set and see if it sticks. Not likely to happen though, the City jerseys are a good start anyways.

Thank you all for your comments!

These are a lot of fun.  I love that Spurs wordmark, it fits so well.  I'd take a look at how those horizontal bands on the Icon and Assoctiation terminate as they wrap around the back.   Could they go all the way around?  Stop at the number?  Have that little triangle fair that they do on the front?  Just ending abruptly at the seem feels like it would look strange in action.

On 3/4/2021 at 4:02 PM, DrJack said:

These are a lot of fun.  I love that Spurs wordmark, it fits so well.  I'd take a look at how those horizontal bands on the Icon and Assoctiation terminate as they wrap around the back.   Could they go all the way around?  Stop at the number?  Have that little triangle fair that they do on the front?  Just ending abruptly at the seem feels like it would look strange in action.

My idea was for it to end at the sides, without crossing to the back. But at second glance I realized it did look a little awkward. So I corrected it using the Alamo termination. Also replaced the "San Antonio" below the jocktag with the pattern present on the City jerseys. Just a little cosmetic thing:

spacer.pngspacer.png

Thank you all for the comments and feedback! I hope to post the second team this weekend or Monday at the latest.

• Agus changed the title to NBA Concepts - Spurs V1.5 3/5

The second team I'll tackle here is the Miami Heat.

There seems to be some kind of discord about which direction should the team go aesthetically. Some prefer the classic, modern look, while some others prefer the Vice colors full time. I decided to go in an unique direction, and replace the iconic red color with orange. There aren't any orange and yellow teams in the league, and this is a look that, in my opinion, fits perfectly for a team from Miami

The three jerseys use some inspirations from the history of the team. Side panels and shorts are based from the Vice collection (and the classic look), and I discarded the wishbone collar for a crew neck, just like the Spurs (NOTE: I might use the crew neck for the whole league, it's just a natural look for a basketball jersey, and it adds to the vintage feel I want to recreate in some teams). The yellow/orange combination is featured as a gradient in both the team name and the number in Association/Icon jerseys, and encompasses the whole uniform in the Statement.

Feedback is welcome!

• Agus changed the title to NBA Concepts - Heat 3/7

Wow, that Heat set looks amazing. I really like how you differentiated the Heat logo on the shorts between the different editions. That black uni is probably my favorite, it looks great. The colors pop and are unique. Great job!

Keep em coming mate! The Heat looks fire, pun intended!

Deyr fé, deyja frændr, deyr sjálfr it sama; en orðstír deyr aldregi hveim er sér góðan getr.

Next team in this series is the New York Knicks

I wanted to incorporate diverse elements from the history of the franchise (like the side panels from the 90's uniforms, but without using black) and make some use of the scripts on the logo. The white jersey, in a radical change from their tradition, features the team name instead of the city. There's a lot more white and orange on the Icon one so I don't know how that would roll with Knicks fans. The Statement jersey is inspired by these classics warm-up jerseys from the 70's and 80's, and features a more retro flavour than the others.

C+C is more than welcome!

• Agus changed the title to NBA Concepts - Knicks 3/12
39 minutes ago, LA Fakers+ LA Snippers said:

Great job, but is there any reason the subway token is only on the left side panel?

I believe the shorts from that era used a logo only at one side, and the player's number on the other. Since numbers in shorts are pretty uncommon in basketball, I only left the logo.

Archived