NWSL Kits

upperV03

3 hours ago, CaliforniaGlowin said:

Like this league needs another navy and red team 🙄 at least the Spirit will be changing.

I hope that they'll go with yellow kits as they did in their inaugural season; that'd be unique enough. I think the odds of that are decent, since IIRC the league said they're going to loosen up their 2020 white kit/dark kit requirements to light kit/dark kit. (Hopefully Kansas City and Louisville will take that opportunity to go primarily teal and lavender!)

• Like 1

I really like the pairing of the off-white shirt and dark green shorts, and I think overall Portland looks good back in their "traditional" color scheme instead of leaning so far into red/black, but I simply cannot move past the gaudy tattoo graphics. Points for creativity, but it's hideous.

• Like 2

I think it’s pretty great. I think it’s an example of committing to the joke while also being a pretty true-to-life representation of the city and fanbase. I do find it a bit ironic that a bunch of the Thorns fans I’ve seen complaining about it are ones who have either contributed to tifos/signs with a similar artistic style and/or are the ones most likely to have tattoos similar to the ones on the jersey. My favorite parts of the shirt are the use of the originally colored crest and the incorporation of the stars into the tattoo design. My favorite part of the kit as a whole has to be the green shorts, which also have some nice rose detailing around the crest:

spacer.png

spacer.png

Nice little rose detail on the back of the socks as well:

spacer.png

• Like 5

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

ChristenPress.0.png

https://www.angelsonparade.com/2023/3/16/23643084/angel-city-fc-reveal-2023-secondary-kit

Angel City connects local culture to new kits with patches representing LA communities

Angel City's new jersey comes with the option to change the left sleeve patch. I'm guessing this will not be an on field application but they did give 11 options to pick from.

Angel City jersey patches

KtXceSp.png

On 3/14/2023 at 2:12 PM, upperV03 said:

I think it’s pretty great. I think it’s an example of committing to the joke while also being a pretty true-to-life representation of the city and fanbase. I do find it a bit ironic that a bunch of the Thorns fans I’ve seen complaining about it are ones who have either contributed to tifos/signs with a similar artistic style and/or are the ones most likely to have tattoos similar to the ones on the jersey. My favorite parts of the shirt are the use of the originally colored crest and the incorporation of the stars into the tattoo design. My favorite part of the kit as a whole has to be the green shorts, which also have some nice rose detailing around the crest:

spacer.png

spacer.png

Nice little rose detail on the back of the socks as well:

spacer.png

Too bad they've sold out of the unisex replicas, because the only way I'm buying those authentic jerseys are when they go on sale. IF they're still available by then. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

2 hours ago, Digby said:

Yeah, the shirt design seems cool enough but doesn't scream LA in particular to me. Love those patches though!

I mean, it *is* a map of LA. Not that the halftone dots have any special connection to LA that I know of, and not that I like it nearly as much as the last one with the palm fronds. But it is nice!

Here's a fuller picture:

230303_Creative_Product_01_Womens_001.jp

• Like 1

Here's the new home kit for my Reign:

I like that the sleeves are both patterned this time, so there won't be the awkwardly mismatched sleeves like the last home kit. But I'm not wild about deciding to keep the white collar despite increasing the red further. (But I don't really want red, I want white or maybe gold instead!)

21 minutes ago, vtgco said:

I mean, it *is* a map of LA. Not that the halftone dots have any special connection to LA that I know of, and not that I like it nearly as much as the last one with the palm fronds. But it is nice!

Ah, ok, I can see it with the full picture. Probably won't read as such in any practical action shot but that makes more sense to me. Agree though that it's hard to beat the fronds.

Reign make me sad... miss their original brand and color scheme, still. This one looks nice but it's too close to what the USWNT were wearing the last two years, esp with Nike making it.

• Love 1

Turns out Gotham quietly ditched their sash away jersey in favor of the Generic FC white away jersey Carolina, SD, KC, and Washington are all also wearing:

Feels like the league or Nike is using custom numbers as an excuse for boring jerseys...

The NWSL kit situation is really frustrating because it seems like the clubs are in different tiers.

The Thorns are regarded by Nike as being in the top tier of their sponsorship deals, and as such receives fully custom kits, training gear, and other merch that’s generally on par with the likes of Barça, PSG, Inter, Liverpool, Chelsea, and Tottenham (USNTs, too). Not just from a design perspective, but from a tech perspective. The Thorns get Nike’s latest templates for both match kits and training wear.

Angel City, Orlando, and now Louisville seem to be on the tier below where they can get fully custom kit designs but are stuck using a 2 year old template and replica kit technology (sublimated polyester instead of the engineered knit). 

The rest of the clubs have a couple of choices. If they want custom kit designs they can do that but tech-wise they’re stuck with Nike’s Digital20 template that’s the same as what college and high schools can get on Nike’s teamwear customization service and has been around since 2018/19. The other option is getting Nike’s newest teamwear template, which is plain but at least has the engineered knit fabric that’s seen on authentic kits. 

The NWSL is arguably the premier women’s football league in the world, and yet the Thorns are the only club that gets the treatment befitting of that. It certainly helps that they’re in Nike’s backyard but it would be nice if the other clubs could be brought up to that level.

• Like 3

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

17 hours ago, upperV03 said:

The NWSL is arguably the premier women’s football league in the world, and yet the Thorns are the only club that gets the treatment befitting of that. It certainly helps that they’re in Nike’s backyard but it would be nice if the other clubs could be brought up to that level.

I would have said it could be because this is a World Cup year, but Nike gave 4 teams the same uniform with different colors (France, USA away, Netherlands, etc). I know these uniforms are planned out 2 years ahead of time, so that should have been enough leeway for Nike to at least include the top 4 teams with the newest template. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

The Equalizer reported a couple weeks back that Orlando is retaining last year’s white away jersey but with black shorts as the preferred complement for menstrual reasons (and black numbers for visual reasons), but in that same piece they let slip that as of 2024 the NWSL won’t have a rule about mostly-white kits, which very much hinted at more change kits that are “light” but in various colors. Presumably more similar to what we’re seeing with this year’s new MLS kits. Kind of an L for Nike to be late on this one but points to a better design future for the league (and, in fairness, NWSL is in much better shape design-wise than it was in its early years, Reign excluded).

• Like 6

• 3 weeks later...

San Diego broke out magenta shorts with their away white tonight:

04152023_reign_204837.jpg?d=1560x1121

Though white/pink/white feels a touch Angel City-y to me, this certainly makes the boring look a lot better! Didn't even know they had them. Would love to see these shorts with their blue jersey too.

Also, with the news that the Reign are on sale and will no longer be associated with Lyon, there's a perfect opportunity for the proper "Seattle Reign" name and rightful monarch crest to return! Total no-brainers for the new owners, whoever they may end up being, to restore that...

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Upcoming name announcement for the new team playing at the SJ Quakes stadium.

Really seems like they're gonna go with "Bay" in the name... Unless it's a redirect, I guess, but it doesn't seem like they've even mentioned San Jose in any of their press so far.

• Like 1